Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 09-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Andruw Jones Must be the MVP

This guy is having an awesome year. 46 homeruns with 118 RBI's. His OBP is a decent .355.

He needs just one more homerun to tie Hank Aaron for the most homeruns in a single season by an Atlanta Brave. He will do it. I see Jones hitting 51 homeruns with 135 RBI's before the season ends.

Albert Pujols has great numbers, but no player has helped his team win like Andruw Jones has.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I'd have to say Jones has to have the edge right now coming down the stretch but you could not go wrong voting for either guy.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

in terms of power both guys are around the same give or take some homers and rbi.

Albert's avg has been much better, Jones is outstanding in the outfield. the Cards have been on cruise control all year, the Braves don't stop proving everyone wrong.

neither guy is the wrong choice.

i'd have to go w/ Jones because of what he has done for the Braves and getting them another division title- mostly w/o help from Chipper. the Cards have been without Rolen, but have had many other guys step up in place of him.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

TSN's critique of Jones noted that his hitting with runners in scoring position has been subpar... maybe that should be taken into account
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsong

i'd have to go w/ Jones because of what he has done for the Braves and getting them another division title- mostly w/o help from Chipper. the Cards have been without Rolen, but have had many other guys step up in place of him.
They have been without more than just Scott Rolen. Larry Walker has missed half the year due to injury, Reggie Sanders has missed the last month-and-a-half with a broken leg, and Molina missed a month with a broken hand. The only guys in the lineup who have not missed significant time due to injury this year are Grudz, Eckstein, Pujols, and Edmonds.

And, on the flip side of that the Braves have had to break in two corner OFers on the fly this year, Chipper has missed the majority of the season, and I think Giles and Estrada have missed some time to injury as well.

The thing about Andruw Jones is it seems that when he does hit a home run it either puts the Braves ahead or wins the game for them and he has been the veteran anchor in a pretty young lineup this year.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:53 AM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Grudz missed some time with an infected knee. He almost went on the DL with it.
As to this discussion, I think Pujols will get more votes because of his statistical edge in a few areas. He hits very well with runners on base.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:45 AM   #7
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

SoCal sports is on a distinguished road

I would have to go with Pujols. Not only has Rolen been hurt pretty much the whole year but Walker,Sanders and Molina have been hurt for long periods and Edmonds has not had a very good year either.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

It's hard to really pick one of the two. Both have had tremendous statistical seasons and their teams are leading and almost assured of winning the division. If you take either player away from their team, who knows where the team would be right now. However, I'm tempted to say that Andruw Jones deserves it more. While some of his stats, BA and hitting with RISP, aren't as good as those of Pujols, the Braves have been able to stay on top of the best division in baseball. Every single team has been in wildcard hunt for months now yet the Braves have been able to fight them off and maintain a healthy lead in the NL East. The Cardinals have been a lock for the division since the end of April.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:03 AM   #9
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I think Jones absolutly needs to win. He stepped up when key guys were injured. Also he is playing semi meaningful games down the stretch whereas Pujols is not.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by catman
Grudz missed some time with an infected knee. He almost went on the DL with it.
As to this discussion, I think Pujols will get more votes because of his statistical edge in a few areas. He hits very well with runners on base.
Yeah, I know he did but he only missed about a week or so of action, and he is actually out now with a sore back. I was focusing more on guys who missed a month or more of action due to injury.

One thing that may also sway voters Pujols way is the prevailing opinion that if not for Bonds he would have been the MVP the last two or three seasons.

Although, on the flip side of that they may look at Jones and say this may be the only shot he gets at the MVP while we know that, barring a colossal injury, Pujols is likely going to be a candidate for the next 8-10 years.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Andruw Jones now holds the franchise record for home runs in a season with 49. Henry Aaron never hit more than 48 in a season. Pretty amazing, considering his career total.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
the Braves have been able to stay on top of the best division in baseball. Every single team has been in wildcard hunt for months now yet the Braves have been able to fight them off and maintain a healthy lead in the NL East. The Cardinals have been a lock for the division since the end of April.
This is a great point here. Pujols no doubt benefits from playing in a much weaker division than the NL East. Jones has played against a higher level of competition than Pujols and that should be taken into account somewhat.

I wouldn't really make much noise if Pujols did win it, as he is pretty damn amazing, but I'd give my vote to Jones because of the competition factor.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:34 AM   #13
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

I think the one knock against Andruw has been hitting with runners in scoring position (as mentioned by Billy D), but if you look overall at the season he is having, it is hard to NOT pick him. He has been so huge for the Braves offense. I remember all the so-called analysts saying every year or infering every year that "Andruw should have an MVP type season eventually." Well, I think he finally has.

Still, that being said, Pujols has been excellent as usual.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote