Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Steelers 14 73.68%
Seahawks 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #46
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

As of 1/29, I got Seattle getting +4 now on my line... But that doesn't seem to make a difference in most people's picks. Seems like its either "Hawks will win outright" or "Steelers will cruise".
Old 02-02-2006, 12:53 AM   #47
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

I'm going to pick the Seahawks because Joey Porter annoys the hell out of me (and go figure, he went to school in my hometown). This guy is the last one to possibly go around criticizing other players. He's has a mouth as wide as the Grand Canyon.

And....
I'm sick of hearing about Pittsburgh...blah...blah..blah...I think they are a great team and everything, and I love their road play, but my lord, they are becoming the next best thing since supreme pizza according to all the media, and you know, I really like pizza, and I know for a fact that Pittsburgh can't be better than pizza.

They aren't that great really.

Disclaimer:
(Okay, If they win, I'll amend this , but that's my take on it right now. )

Plus, who doesn't love Grunge, and guess where that evolved? Yeah, that's right, Seattle baby.

Okay, time for serious analysis. I think that the Seattle running game, bolstered by Alexander, will be enough to keep the Pittsburgh offense off the field. I really think that this game comes down to Alexander. He does well, so does Seattle. If Pittsburgh is able to put pressure on Hasselbeck, then it will be a tough game. But, I'm counting on Alexander running for at least 98 yards with two touchdowns.

Final Score: Seattle 28, Pittsburgh 23
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #48
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Any of you gamblers seen the SB props yet? I like Alexander rush yards o/u is 85.5 net yards... Betis' longest rush of the game o/u is 9.5 yards... Great stuff!
Old 02-02-2006, 01:30 AM   #49
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Seattle 23
Pittsburgh 10

Actually, I think Pittsburgh is better. But i have a hunch that Seattle will go up early and the Steelers' fans will be painfully reminded how much worse their team is when coming from behind...
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:39 AM   #50
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
As of 1/29, I got Seattle getting +4 now on my line... But that doesn't seem to make a difference in most people's picks. Seems like its either "Hawks will win outright" or "Steelers will cruise".

The line opened at 3, and that's what I always use when making picks.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:12 AM   #51
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Not like it made a difference since you have Pitt winning by 11.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #52
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5298460

Franky, I so agree with you on Joey Porter. I'm guessing Jerramy Stevens is basically supposed to just say "Yeah, I hope Jerome Bettis wins the Super Bowl."
The way Porter acts, you'd think Stevens called the Steelers a garbage team, or personally insulted them, or something.

EDIT: Then again, I am talking about a guy who claimed the NFL was conspiring against his team. In a game they won.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:58 PM   #53
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Hate to beat a dead horse, but man is the media doing a bad job with this Super Bowl coverage. ESPN.com, for example, has the link to the Porter-Stevens story labeled, "Porter irked by 'guarantee'"

The problem there is, they quote guarantee. Maybe they have different standards, but in my journalism school, I was taught you only quote something in a headline when it's SAID - and here ESPN is quoting in the Bennet Brauer rabbit ears way.

No one's said anything about guaranatees, save for the reporters who are so desperate for dirt, they'll make stuff up. Isn't the biggest game of the year story enough?

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #54
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Good observation 190... I'm glad you brought this up, cuz I read that headline "guarantee" and before I read the article, I said to myself "oh boy, what [email protected] made a guarentee". But after reading it he actually said "I'll feel bad when Betis goes home w/out a trophy".
Now you can say that's technically a way of saying guarantee. But come on, thats far from it.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:54 PM   #55
smustang
Rookie Player

smustang is on a distinguished road
Default STeelers all the way

I'm gonna have to go for the Steelers this time around.
smustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:55 PM   #56
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Seahawks 24, Steelers 21. I think both teams want to think of themselves as the underdogs and use that as motivation, but the Seahawks are the true underdogs in terms of the Vegas line and media coverage. Close game, but Alexander is better than anything Pittsburgh has, and Hasselbeck can hold his own.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:58 AM   #57
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

doublee...

Riley does have the rights to three-peat. Everytime it's used=money in da bank for Riles.

franky...

As much as I've dreamed of playing drums for Pearl Jam (move over Matt Cameron), I'd hardly qualify that as a reason to root for Seattle.

Still, if I hear the "extended version" of "Here we go (Steelers)" on the radio one more time, I'm going postal.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #58
boston_aloha
FFB #2

SS Polamalu injured his ankle in practice and is now listed as "probable".
Quote:
DETROIT -- Strong safety Troy Polamalu, the catalyst of the Pittsburgh Steelers defense and a player who has emerged as one of the league's most versatile defenders, suffered an ankle injury during Thursday's practice and was forced to leave the session early.
Prob nothing, but if he's not 100% this could be a HUGE blow to that Steeler defense.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #59
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Anyone here from Mississippi? I guess they're not big on pro-football there. On espn.com they had a poll:
What's the best part about SB Sunday?
1. The Game
2. Commercials
3. Half Time
4. Your Party
49 states voted in favor of the game, but Miss had "commercials" is it's favorite. Now in their defense it was close, 42% said commercials and 38% said game.
I could never stand the 1/2 time show. It seems the bands are always over the age of 80, or under the age of 20... I love the Stones, but they're live stuff isn't quite what it used to be IMO. If they're under 20, its a teenie bopper band - there is nothing more annoying than that in the music business! I think most of America agrees w/ me here. The halftime show vote was 0-1% in all 50 states.
Commercials have declined over the years, I think maybe there are 2-3 good ones these days. But hey, at least there's no more "Bud Bowl"!!
Old 02-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #60
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

So what channel is this Lingerie Bowl on? Might want to give it a try over the AARP Stones... The half-time show is one reason NOT to have a big HDTV (imagine walking corpses).
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote