Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-05-2005, 04:03 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Saints Got Jobbed!

The Vikings, Saints and Rams all finished 8-8, and during the season the Vikings beat the Saints head-to-head and the Saints beat the Rams head-to-head. So why didn't the Vikings and Saints make the playoffs instead of the Vikings and Rams?

Had this happened between 1970 and 1977, the Vikings and the Saints would have been the teams that got in, because in those years the head-to-head tie-breaker was applicable so long as every team involved in the tie had at least one opportunity to play one or more of the others - which would have given the Vikings the first wild card for being 1-0 against the other two teams, over the Saints' 1-1 and the Rams' 0-1. The Saints would then have gotten the second wild card due to their head-to-head win over the Rams (this tie-breaker was never actually invoked during that period because three second-place teams in the same conference never finished with the same record in the same year, but this was the procedure that was on the books).

This is a lot fairer than putting the Rams in for going 1-3 against the vastly superior AFC, when the Saints went 2-2 against AFC teams and the Vikings 3-1. The Rams were thus rewarded for doing better against weaker competition (7-5 within the NFC to 6-6 for New Orleans and 5-7 for Minnesota), and that simply ain't fair.

Wonder if there will be any complaints at the spring owners' meetings?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:59 AM   #2
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I thought in the case of a tie, they looked at who go the better conference record anyways....and with that Minnesota has the worst conference record against NFC teams but still made it in? this doesnt make sense to me
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

When two spots are tied for, only one of them is awarded at a time. In this case, the Rams got the first wild card because their conference record (7-5) was better than those of both New Orleans (6-6) and Minnesota (5-7). But the Vikings gained the second wild card over the Saints because they beat the Saints head-to-head.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I actually feel that the Vikings should be the odd team out because the Saints won four in a row to end the year, and the Rams beat two playoffs teams to close out the season (even if one was against second-team Philly). But the simple matter of the fact is that Minnesota fell apart the last ten games and I don't see how anyone could call them the 12th best team in football as the year ended.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Orange, I totally agree. I don't think that the Minnesota Viking deserved to be in the playoffs, especially not the way the finished their season. Oh well...The Packers will finish them off.