Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-24-2005, 12:24 AM   #1
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road
Default Moss trade 60/40..sale before Super Bowl?

Found this at ESPN.com:

ESPN.com news services
Has Randy Moss played his last season in Minnesota?

A Vikings source has told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that there's a 60-40 chance the team will deal the controversial receiver in the offseason if it can find suitors willing to pay a handsome price.

Moss is not on the market yet in part because Vikings owner Red McCombs is hoping to sell the team by Super Bowl XXXIX, Mortensen reported.

Which teams might be willing to up the ante for Moss?

The Ravens are a possibility. Baltimore made an aborted play for Terrell Owens last offseason and coach Brian Billick used Moss' sensational season in 1998 when he caught 17 touchdown passes to propel himself to the Ravens job.

Moss didn't endear himself to his teammates in the final game of the season when he skulked off the field with 2 seconds left in a loss at Washington.

The following week in Minnesota's wild-card playoff victory at Green Bay, Moss pretended to pull down his pants and moon the crowd after scoring on a 34-yard touchdown pass from Daunte Culpepper in the fourth quarter.

Moss was fined $10,000 by the league for the gesture, but didn't show any remorse.

"Ain't nothing but 10 grand. What's 10 grand, to me?" said Moss, whose salary this season is $5.75 million. He then jokingly suggested he might perform a more vulgar celebration next time.

Moss, whose 9,142 career yards receiving are the most ever by any player over his first seven seasons, has drawn more than his share of punishments and negative publicity.

The league fined him $5,000 for his role in a scuffle with the Chicago Bears during a September game, and he was charged the same amount in November 2003 for spiking a ball at the foot of Detroit Lions cornerback Dre' Bly.

In December 2002, he was fined $1,200 by a judge after being charged with bumping a traffic control officer with his car in downtown Minneapolis.

For verbally abusing corporate sponsors on the team bus following a loss in November 2001, Moss was fined $15,000 by the Vikings and required to receive anger management counseling.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

This is from TwinCities.com:

Word in San Antonio, where McCombs has his office, is that Taylor was headed there in his private jet this weekend to meet with McCombs. The Pioneer Press has reported that the two have been a lot closer on a purchase price than most realize.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:38 AM   #2
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Damn.....guess my Moss jersey is going to be a collectors item soon. From the NY Post:

JUST MOON, BABY

Vikings star receiver Randy Moss' days in Minnesota may very well be finished. A source confirmed that a Vikings official contacted Raiders owner Al Davis, who said he'd be interested in acquiring the enigmatic wideout. A front-office source said they'd likely accept "an impact defensive player and a first-round pick" for Moss, who is signed through 2008.

The Minnesota source said it's "more than likely going to get done, whether with the Raiders, the Redskins or the Ravens."
Old 01-24-2005, 04:14 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

No Randy Moss in Minnesota, and quite possibly no Brett Favre in Green Bay and no Shaun Alexander in Seattle either.

Never mind 8-8 teams making the playoffs; come next year an 8-8 team might get a first-round bye in the NFC!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

That doesn't seem all too likely, but an 8-8 winning their division outright, especially in that all-too shadowy version of it self, the NFC North (was Central) is ridiculously weak. If Detroit can keep Charles Rogers from the IR, and Joey Harrington slinging balls to one star receiver or the other, they could easily win seven games and win the division...

Dave
Old 01-24-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

I don't think I am being a homer in saying that the Vikings will be better than 8-8, out of those three teams mentioned, if we lose our star player.

Mainly because we have a loaded offense, and in exchange for Moss, we would get a beavy of draft picks and/or defensive starters.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Being better than 8-8 is an if and only-if proposition, purple. The Vikes, while I think Culpepper grew as a QB, did find themselves a little hamstrung while Moss was injured or out. They need that bevy of picks and starters to be starter heavy. The draft doesn't look, at least initially, to be full of rookie starters.

Dave
Old 01-24-2005, 07:26 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't know I think the Vikes could be okay if they know Moss will not be there from the start. It is one thing when a team has to re-adjust on the fly, especially when the offense is built around having Moss out there. If Tice knows going into camp they will not have Moss then it gives him time to restructure the game plan accordingly. The big question will be how well they stand up with Linehan jumping ship to Miami. If rumors are true that he is causing a real chemistry problem in the clubhouse with some of the core veterans maybe this team will be more successful without him.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #8
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

1. With 8 divisions now, and only 6 divisional games, it is INEVITABLE that we will get a division winner with a losing record, and soon.
2. Anyone familiar with the Bill Simmons' Ewing Theory? It basically is the theory that whenever a team loses a star so big that everyone says, "Oh ho, they're gonna suck now!" they inevitably do better than they did WITH the star. The Mariners did this all the time in the 90's and early aughts.
3. That said, it's hard to see how the Vikings would be better next year with a lot of high draft picks instead of Moss than they were this year, but Dave already said that.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

The more stuff I read online, the more I am convinced that the Moss talk is coming far more from the media than the Vikings themselves.

Every newspaper guy has some trade for their local team that lands Moss with them, and acting like the Vikings would trade him for an extra Gatoraide container.

Take Dave's favorite guy Peter King, with some of his suggestions. My favorite: Suggesting we send him to the Bears, a division rival, for a meaningless draft pick and something called Hillenmeyer?

And the Raiders offered Buchanon for Michael Bennett earlier this year. They think by adding a draft pick to that deal, they can get Moss now?

It seems like the media wants to trade Moss far more than the Vikes actually do.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #10
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised none of you have mentioned Dennis Green and the Cardinals being interested in Moss. There have been a few articles in the Arizona Republic over the last two weeks linking Moss with a move to the Desert. Anquin Boldon(sp) new contract may be an issue with the Cards and the rumor is, that Boldon will be traded to the Vikings for Moss with maybe one or two other players in the mix also.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:32 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
No Randy Moss in Minnesota, and quite possibly no Brett Favre in Green Bay and no Shaun Alexander in Seattle either.
Favre isn't retiring. He knows how devastating it would be to the organization with no successor in place (Craig Nall ain't the guy). My guess is the Packers' use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a QB in April's draft. There aren't many, if any, great prospects in the draft but there are plenty of good ones. One will likely be wearing green and gold come training camp.

Meanwhile, the Packers took a huge step towards fixing the defense by hiring ex-Dolphins defensive coordinator and interim head coach Jim Bates. Now all we need is some players...
Old 01-24-2005, 09:49 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimpbot
I'm surprised none of you have mentioned Dennis Green and the Cardinals being interested in Moss. There have been a few articles in the Arizona Republic over the last two weeks linking Moss with a move to the Desert. Anquin Boldon(sp) new contract may be an issue with the Cards and the rumor is, that Boldon will be traded to the Vikings for Moss with maybe one or two other players in the mix also.
I cannot see the Vikings moving Moss without getting some defensive help in return. PFW is saying the Cardinals have no real interest in Moss because the Vikings are asking for guys like Bertrand Berry, Adrian Wilson, and Darnell Dockett in return and the Cards cannot afford to part with those guys. Besides, getting Moss means nothing if they do not have a QB to throw the ball to him. My guess is the Cards will look to invest some money on getting an adequate QB in there to throw the ball to Boldin and Fitzgerald. Not to mention they will probably need to find another RB as it does not sound as though Emmitt will be back next year.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:56 PM   #13
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I don't think Green is ready to give up on McCown yet, but I think given a shot at picking up a quality QB through free agency might change his mind. I don't see Green drafting a QB as the Cardinals need to be winning next year so they can sell tickets to the new stadium schedule to open in 2006. Green has already said that he isnt going to spend a bunch of money on just one free agent, but rather build the team around 3 or 4 plus the core of players that signed to deals this year. I think Green made a big mistake benching McCown this year, because I honestly believe that he has the arm strength, speed and size to become a solid QB. Its his football brain that needs developing and benching him after less than a seasons worth of starts, isnt going to help.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:39 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I thought he did too. Just like the Giants made a mistake benching Warner for Manning. The Cards will still in contention when they benched McCown and the wheels sort of fell off the wagon at that stage of the season once he pulled the trigger. However, rumor has it Green has his eye on Brad Johnson.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:26 PM   #15
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimpbot
That's because despite what some trigger happy newspaper writer thinks, Denny has SAID he has no interest in Moss and they have to much invested in Boldin and Fitzgerald.

Too many media people are playing NFL GM for the Minnesota Vikings and Randy Moss. It's getting ridiculous.