Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 05-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default D'Antoni Coach of the Year

It is being reported that Mike D'Antoni will be named coach of the year Tuesday. Personally he was not my first choice but he is not a bad selection. I thought Skiles deserved for the way he pulled the Bulls out of the doldrums after they started the season 0-9.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2056225
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #2
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

While I can't disagree with the choice I thought it was going to be George Karl
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:11 PM   #3
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

How could you give it to Karl, who didn't even coach the entire year. D'Antoni's team won 30 something more games than last year, which is an incredible turnaround. Much credit goes to Skiles and the job he did with the Bulls though.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't think Karl was even considered a serious candidate for the award. Personally, I thought Nate McMillian, Eddie Jordan, Skiles, D'Antoni, and Rick Carlisle as worthy candidates.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

I would've given it to McMillan, but I think everyone Doublee mentioned could be a worthy choice. D'Antoni winning it works for me
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 AM   #6
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

It has to be D'Antoni in my opinion. Who, in their right mind, would have picked Phoenix as a contender for this year's title before this season started?

Great turnaround + best record = Coach of the Year
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:31 AM   #7
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I thought Skiles should have won it...hands down.

The Suns had a great turnaround but had the talent waiting to jell. Carlisle did a tremendous job keeping the Pacers together after the exodus but still had a veteran team. Jordan did a excellent job but still had a great young core of offensive firepower.

McMillan would be my second choice tho adding Ray Allen to the mix should have a great impact on any solid team.

Skiles on the other hand, took a group of rookies & second year players as the core to a level of tenacious D & solid team basketball. & this doesn't even take into account of the historic "earning the calls" that players go thru in their early days. They were nothing short of an oddity & story of the year in the NBA IMO....
Old 05-13-2005, 03:26 AM   #8
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Rick Carlisle deserved this award. The Pacers went through hell this season and kept on managing winning ball games. There's no way they should've even made the playoffs, and look where they are now, in the second round already taking a game from Detroit.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:56 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

franky-

Phoenix is a contender? News to me. Never saw Cousy or Magic stop their dribble and not take the last shot at the end of a huge playoff game ( Nash MVP? Yep, right).

Nice draw up too Big Mike on that play. And people thought Riley just threw the ball out and said "play." Great job designing a defensive play to keep the ball out of Dirk's hands too before the Nash-no-shot.

Yeah, these Suns have a helluva thing going. "Pretty" hasn't won since 1988. I don't see high socks and made jump shots out there either, so something ain't right.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:40 AM   #10
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

you know it's amazing to me that D'Antoni got this award, yet look at where he placed on the ESPN NBA poll (snapshot taken today): (by the way- yes I voted for Pop)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d.jpg (13.1 KB, 6 views)
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote