Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road
Default The Zen is back!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Lakers re-hire Phil Jackson as coach

June 14, 2005
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Phil Jackson is returning to the Los Angeles Lakers following a reconciliation with the team that cut him loose last year after three NBA championships in five seasons.

Spokesman John Black said Tuesday the team has rehired Jackson, who was let go by owner Jerry Buss last June 18.

A news conference was set for 5 p.m. EDT at Staples Center.

Jackson, who turns 60 in September, has had health issues in the past and underwent an angioplasty two years ago. He told ABC-TV before the opening game of the NBA Finals that he underwent a series of tests to make sure he was healthy.

Jackson agreed to a three-year contract. Terms were not announced, but it's believed he'll be earning around $10 million per year.

Jackson's dismissal a year ago set in motion a makeover of massive proportions that proved to be disastrous.

Dominant big man Shaquille O'Neal demanded a trade and superstar Kobe Bryant opted out of his contract to become a free agent the same day Jackson's five-year run as coach ended.

The futures of O'Neal and Bryant were decided the following month, with O'Neal being traded to Miami and Bryant staying with the Lakers.

Rudy Tomjanovich succeeded Jackson, signing a five-year, $30 million contract, but lasted barely half a season, citing health reasons when he suddenly resigned Feb. 2.

Jackson's name was mentioned as a possible replacement almost immediately despite his having written a book detailing the 2003-04 season in which he called Bryant uncoachable and made other disparaging remarks about the franchise.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

i just dont see how Phil Jackson is the answer for LA. he needs talent to get the Lakers in the playoffs but all he has to work w/ is Kobe and Odom. maybe they are going to buy every free agent in the offseason?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

They don't have the cap room to buy anybody.

The buzz in LA for the last few months (literally, they don't talk about anything else here) is Phil was actually hoping for a small percentage of ownership. There's no mention of that, yet, but also Jeanie Buss lobbied pretty hard for his return. And he likes LA. Those are all superficial reasons, though. Jackson has been behind the scenes with LA since about February. The Lakers needed a big hire like Phil Jackson because the atmosphere in the Staples Center is, well, dead. There has to be a name on the sideline that commands respect and gives the illusion that this team is better than it really is. Jackson inherits a pretty shoddy squad with almost zero flexibility. The power dynamic, however, has shifted from Kobe to him. Why? Well, consider that Bryant is for all intents and purposes responsible for Jackson's exit last season. This year, Kobe runs the ship... into the bottom of the ocean. Now that Jackson has returned, Bryant will defer to someone who knows how to steer. Phil and Kobe met before this announcement came, so it isn't like Bryant's not on board. I'm imagining a re-implementation of the triangle with Kobe playing the MJ role. Barring a Minnesota Timberwolves-style collapse, the Lakers are still probably a year away from realistically thinking playoffs in the Western Conference and Phil knows that. But if you're going to make an omelette, you have to break some eggs. It'll take time, but from LA's point of view, he is the ONLY man for the job.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

If i'm not mistaken, this will be the first time Jackson will have a team that's not already predestined to be among the league's best. Not that he's a bad coach, but he's specialized in coaching the best
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I wonder how Shawndo feels about this and more importantly Kobe. I have a feeling Kobe will give his blessing at the news conference.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy D
If i'm not mistaken, this will be the first time Jackson will have a team that's not already predestined to be among the league's best. Not that he's a bad coach, but he's specialized in coaching the best
true, his "worst" season was 1994 47-35 .573... the only time he got near .500. he has also never missed the playoffs.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:07 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

This may just work, and even if it doesn't with Kobe and Phil fighting, at least it'll be entertaining. Botom line, having Phil in the league is a good thing. However, my bet is they will make the playoffs because this is obviously Kobe's team now and there should be less bickering with that realization (and Kobe's legal troubles in the past).
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsong
i just dont see how Phil Jackson is the answer for LA. he needs talent to get the Lakers in the playoffs but all he has to work w/ is Kobe and Odom. maybe they are going to buy every free agent in the offseason?
I usually stay out of NBA discussion but who DOESN'T need talent to succeed as a coach? Many hoary adages apply here: You can't get blood from a turnip. You gotta have the horses before you pull the wagon.

Phil has tons of rings, whether the ingredients were already in place or not. He's not a bad fit for any team, IMO.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:59 PM   #9
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

This of course is great news for Lakers fans!
I didn't get to watch the press conference yet but I'm sure they'll play it later ad nauseum on the NBA station.
Apparently Kobe called Phil this morning to congratulate him and Phil feels confidant they'll be able to rebuild trust and get along successfully.

After reading the book "The Last Season", do I think Phil and Kobe can truly coexist peacefully and successfully?
Absolutely.
Stress from tensions with Shaquille and his legal situation had Kobe a lot more frustrated than we got to see on camera last year. This of course is all gone now, and to further help things, the most recent season has very convincingly told Mr. Bryant that he is not capable of single-handedly leading the Lakers. He needs a good coach, and Phil is that coach. With a little roster shakeup, I think the Lakers will be exciting and fun to watch again... also a return to the Playoffs next year.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Just when I made it up in my mind to begin to root for Bryant, too. Damn.

This alone does absolutely nothing for them. It was done not to win games, but to sell tickets.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:58 PM   #11
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Kobe + Phill =

(open links in order)

TRAINWRECK
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:59 PM   #12
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
It was done not to win games, but to sell tickets.

Phil is a proven winner
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:30 AM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Yeah...riggggggght.

Proven as in Michael Jordan? Proven as in Shaq and Kobe?

Jackson is a below average coach, fine, maybe he's average at best, that happened to coach people that were destined for great things.

He got flat out destroyed in the coaching category when he went up against Larry Brown...lol, twice actually as Brown out-coached him in the Sixers/Lakers series as well.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:33 AM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Come now Phil may be a proven winner but we all know that if he had coached this year's squad the Lakers would have been a 40-45 win team scrapping for the last playoff spot at best. Maybe his coaching acumen helps them pull out a few of the close ones that could have gone either way in the last two minutes, but this team still does not have the horses to run with the elite of the West right now.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:53 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Lakers still have a team?

#99...

Who is on the side of Hotel Figueroa right now?

Doug...

I'm not a huge Phil fan, but how did LB outcoach a Phil THAT bad if Phil's team got 4 of 5 wins?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote