Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Packers fall to 1-5, but don't blame Favre

Brett had a nice day with over 300 yards, 2 TDs, and no picks (in his last few games, in fact). It's obvious to me that he still can be a top QB in this league. But this team's downfall is flat-out luck: they haven't been the same since losing on 4th-and-26 (I mean, how probable was that?) and injuries have RAVAGED the team. If they go like 3-13, it won't be because of Favre. And the defense IS improving. This is one of the younger teams in the league. But injuries on offense are insurmountable:

Ahman Green (left today's game on cart, status unknown)
Robert Ferguson (left today's game on cart, status unknown)
Javon Walker (out for season)
Bubba Franks (hasn't played in weeks)
Najeh Davenport (out for season)

They also have O-line injuries to a unit that already lost two guards. I don't think anyone is as ravaged as they are. What team can honestly win without its top two running backs, two of top three receivers, Pro Bowl tight end, and various linemen? With the contending Bengals up next, it's very reasonable to expect 1-6. The lone hope is maybe they'll finally get a top draft pick, something their rivals have been stockpiling for years as the Packers continued to make the playoffs.

The only question is, will Mike Sherman survive? He hasn't been good, but I don't blame him for today's loss nor the insurmountable injuries.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I agree on all counts but I want Sherman out. He's a flatout lousy coach and his moves as GM have helped put the team in the situation it currently is stuck in.

Outside of Favre and Green, this team is very young. They need a new coach to go along with the youth movement. Look at what it did for the Bengals, hiring Marvin Lewis to mold a young team that is now competitive.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I feel bad for Favre. He gives everything he has every single game, but they just can't seem to put together a win.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

I can't believe they lost this one. 17-0 at halftime. I was shocked when I left and came back to see this.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Mike Sherman has been the problem in Green Bay for a while. the team can't play defense. anyone remember 4th-and-26?
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:24 AM   #6
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

The second half play calling was more than suspect. Sherman has to take the responsibility, simple as that...
Old 10-24-2005, 12:57 PM   #7
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

Brett Favre doesn't deserve to go out like this. He needs a team around him because we are coming close to his last few years of the game.
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:09 PM   #8
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The Executioner is on a distinguished road

You think the Pack had a meltodown.

I can't believe my Cowboys lost the way we did. Not only the interception and the 2 50+ kicks. BUt we could not finish? Cortez missed a 29 and banged a 23 and we should have had touches on both. Thats what killed teams. How bout the Boys ability to stop the run game though. Shawn Alexander had nothing doing and was under 3 yards per carry. Thanks to the rotation of Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Greg Ellis, Carson, Lar Roi Glover in that 3-4. Love it. Were a good team, just gotta finish.

Saints got jobbed vs. The Rams, no way Ernie Conwell wasn't down. Az Hakim has been on fire with Joe Horn and the Saints were up 14-0 in the first. They got it past the St. Louis 50 3 times in the second put did nothing. I don't get the Saints. Get kind of ripped off but should be better than what they are.

bring on the Trojans, Longhorns too!
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:23 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Ouch! Green is officially out for the year with a tear in his thigh tendon:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2202383
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #10
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

I credit Favre for taking the offense on his back with all the injuries. But the Pack lost yesterday because they couldn't defend or cover on kickoffs when it mattered (again)-- outside of Fergie's special teams contributions, all the injuries have been on offense. Big props to Edinger and the FG team for nailing that down, but the Pack's poor D was the difference

Bubba's not actually a huge loss at this point, thanks to Martin and Lee showing up. Neither is Fergie on offense, since Chatman is actually better. The RBs going down is the biggest loss lately (and Javon also a big loss), they'll have to start playing like the Eagles (pass all the time, use short passes as runs) if they'll have any success going forward. The TEs are their best weapons if Driver gets doubled as expected

The o-line is young and improving. The tackles were back yesterday, good sign. I think the guards have talent, Beichtol should be able to mold this into a good line by the end of the year.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:50 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

If the Packers continue to have this disaster season, I have to think Favre is going to retire. He loves to play, but I think one thing he wanted to do was contend, and this team looks to be rebuilding.

All I can say is: Reggie Bush, join Aaron Rodgers and a young, up-and-coming defense and the future is bright!

P.S. Billy, Alex, and anyone else interested, you HAVE to check out the hilarious parody of Mike Sherman each week on the "Packer Insider Rants and Raves" podcast. Search for it in iTunes and download it. This guy impersonates Sherman and I am literally falling out of my chairing laughing ... please listen and let me know what you think! It's free, of course.

Last edited by Marc; 10-25-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:58 PM   #12
Billy D
Alternative View

11 megs? Doh. Must be video
Old 10-26-2005, 04:42 PM   #13
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Favre shouldn't be blamed alone, but the fact remains that the Pack had a 17-point lead and lost to one of the most miserable teams in football. Let's face it, Green Bay should have left Minnesota with a win. Someone's gotta take the heat.

As far as Sherman goes, I have a hard time booting him out the door so quickly. Yes, the defense remains lousy, but as his been noted many times, his offense is completely dismantled due to injury. Oh, and last I checked, it's the Packers who always seem to be winning division titles the last four or five years. Who was coaching them then? Oh yeah...
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Don't forget Reggie Bush is a junior and could come back for another season. I have not seen anything in mainstream media saying one way or the other what he intends on doing next year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:52 PM   #15
Billy D
Alternative View

I've said it before, but Coach Sherman's biggest problem is that he's had a sucky GM the last few years...

That said, penalties and mental mistakes are generally a reflection of the coach-- these have generally gotten worse under Sherman.