Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-06-2006, 05:37 AM   #1
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road
Default 2006 schedules/discussion

Put your team(s) up, and if you'd like size 'em up for next season. I'll go with the local boys...starting with my favorite:

UCLA
9/2 Utah
9/9 Rice
9/23 @ Washington
9/30 Stanford
10/7 Arizona
10/14 @ Oregon
10/21 @ Notre Dame
10/28 Washington State
11/4 @ California
11/11 Oregon St
11/18 @ Arizona State
12/2 USC

I think a 9-3 or 8-4 stretch here would be a solid year for a young Bruins squad that will be led by Ben Olson. Maurice Drew might bolt for the NFL, which would be a mistake imo, but Chris Markey and Khalil Bell had some great moments when they saw action, particularly in the Sun Bowl. WR should not be a problem for the Bruins at all with everyone returning, including injured No.1 Junior Taylor. The defense should be improved with the return of key D-line members Kevin Brown and Nikola Dragovic and a crop of young big men to add depth. Reggie Carter and Aaron Whittington are expected to help fill the big losses of Havner and London, and Christian Taylor has improved over the course of the season. If John Hale, who has tremendous upside but is still relatively new to the position, can improve his game, they won't be hurt too badly at LB. The secondary also will have some solid returnees in Trey Brown, Chris Horton, Rodney Van, Eric McNeal, and Dennis Keyes. Promising youngsters Shawn Oatis and Aaron Ware should help counter the loss of Cassell and Page.

The O-Line, who lose three key players in McCloskey, Blanton and Cleary, will face the challenge of implementing some new young talent. The recruiting class this season covers this area heavily and they look to be a strong class. Coaching in this area has been a big plus with Tom Cable, and it will have to continue for the Bruins to have a good season. Shannon Tevaga has flashed some brilliance and Nathaniel Skaggs really played well as a fill-in center for the bowl game.

USC
9-9 @ Arkansas
9-16 Nebraska
9-23 @ Arizona
9-30 @ Washington State
10-7 Washington
10-14 Arizona State
10-28 @ Oregon State
11-4 @ Stanford
11-11 Oregon
11-18 California
11-25 Notre Dame
12-2 @ UCLA

The early part of the season will be huge for this team. Whether it be Booty or Sanchez filling in, the offense will have to find a new identity with the likely entries of Bush and White into the draft. Dwayne Jarrett made his case in the Rose Bowl, and should be the featured face of the offense along with Smith, Turner, and Davis. That's still quite the receiving corps. The O-Line should still be strong even with the loss of Lutui and potentially Khalil and Justice. It'll be an open battle for RB which should have Hershel Dennis, Chauncey Washington, Desmond Reed, and Michael Coleman in the mix. Then there's whoever they may grab by signing day too, such as Staphon Johnson or C.J. Gable.

The defense looks like it will be much improved, but will still have to deal with losing 5 starters, possibly 6. The LB corps has the talent to be something special next season, and the secondary should be re-stocked well as long as the injuries suffered heal up properly. The D-Line will miss Rucker and Ramsey, but should have the depth to help cover the losses with the likes of Kyle Moore, Jeff Schweiger, and Averall Spicer. Both Lawrence Jackson and Sedric Ellis will continue to build on their success to lead them.

With recruiting still a major strength of the Trojans, I wouldn't be surprised to see them sticking around the top 5 for next season, but they'll certainly have to come out of the gates fast to do so. While the Trojans do have home field for many key matchups, this could prove to be a tough schedule for the Men of Troy to handle.

Last edited by El Jefe; 01-06-2006 at 06:44 AM.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

9/2- Akron
9/9- @ Notre Dame
9/16- Youngstown State
9/23- @ Ohio State
9/30- Northwestern
10/7- @ Minnesota
10/14- Michigan
10/21- Illinois
10/28- @ Wisconsin
11/4- @ Purdue
11/11- Temple
11/18- Michigan State

I will analyze the schedule more in-depth later on but for now:

Best Case- 12-0- All the new starters are as good as advertised, especially QB Anthony Morelli. Notre Dame's defense fails to show up and the Buckeyes fail to successfully replace all of their lost starters. Even as a PSU fan, I see this being very unrealistic.

Worst Case- 8-4- Losses to ND, Ohio State, Michigan and one Big Ten game that PSU should have won, my personal pick being at Wisconsin.

My Guess- 10-2- Losses to ND and Ohio State. Morelli lives up to the hype and Paul Posluszny returns. Michigan (finally) gets payback for the last seven games when they come into Happy Valley. The atmosphere will be on par with the Wisconsin and Ohio State games this year no matter what PSU's record is going into the game.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Yikes, at Notre Dame and Ohio State. Should be two great games. I think my and my Dad are going to try and get tickets for the game vs. Michigan.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

USC
9-9 @ Arkansas
9-16 Nebraska
9-23 @ Arizona
9-30 @ Washington State
10-7 Washington
10-14 Arizona State
10-28 @ Oregon State
11-4 @ Stanford
11-11 Oregon
11-18 California
11-25 Notre Dame
12-2 @ UCLA

El Jefe got most of the key points. Lane Kiffen, in his second year as offensive coordinator, should have more plays at his disposal. However, it remains to be seen if the incoming personnel will be up to the task. The defense will definitely improve.

A top-5 finish is possible, but I expect a couple losses for a retooling season.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Arizona:

Sep. 2 vs. TBA (most likely BYU from what I've been hearing)
Sep. 9 @ LSU
Sep. 16 vs. Stephen F. Austin
Sep. 23 vs. USC
Sep. 30 vs. Washington
Oct. 7 @ UCLA
Oct. 14 @ Stanford
Oct. 21 vs. Oregon State
Nov. 4 @ Washington State
Nov. 11 vs. Cal
Nov. 18 @ Oregon
Nov. 25 vs. Arizona State (first time this game will be on a Saturday in decades)

2006 is the year Arizona finally gets back to a bowl. I'm calling a 7-5 record. They return 7 starters on offensive, 9 on defense, and have four players who this season were Freshman All-Americans (MLB Ronnie Palmer, QB Willie Tuitama, WR Mike Thomas, DE Johnathan Turner). The recruiting class is also Top 20 in the nation from some reports.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Florida

09/02 Southern Miss
09/09 UCF
09/16 @Tennessee
09/23 Kentucky
09/30 Alabama
10/07 LSU
10/14 @Auburn
10/28 Georgia (JAX)
11/04 @Vanderbilt
11/11 South Carolina
11/18 Western Carolina
11/25 @Florida State

Florida's OL next year will be young and inexperienced. Adding to that we play traditionally strong D-lines in UT, Bama, LSU, Auburn, and FSU... if UF ONLY loses 3 next year I'll be happy. The bright side is the Gators will only lose two Jr's WR Chad Jackson and DB Dee Webb.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I am almost ashamed to post this. Western Kentucky. WESTERN F***ING KENTUCKY!!!!!!! Jesus, that is an embarassment. I like the fact they play Colorado, and I can handle UAB, but that is just disgusting. Our AD should be ashamed.

Sat 09/02/06 Western Kentucky
Sat 09/09/[email protected] South Carolina
Sat 09/16/06 UAB
Sat 09/23/06 Colorado
Sat 09/30/06 @Mississippi
Sat 10/07/06 Tennessee
Sat 10/14/06 Vanderbilt
Sat 10/21/06 Mississippi State
Sat 10/28/06 Florida Jacksonville, Fla.
Sat 11/04/06 @Kentucky
Sat 11/11/06 @Auburn
Sat 11/25/06 Georgia Tech
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

OHIO STATE:

Sat 09/02/2006 Northern Illinois Columbus, Ohio TBA
Sat 09/09/2006 Texas Austin, Texas TBA
Sat 09/16/2006 Cincinnati Columbus, Ohio TBA
Sat 09/23/2006 Penn State Columbus, Ohio TBA
Sat 09/30/2006 Iowa Iowa City, Iowa TBA
Sat 10/07/2006 Bowling Green Columbus, Ohio TBA
Sat 10/14/2006 Michigan State East Lansing, Mich. TBA
Sat 10/21/2006 Indiana Columbus, Ohio TBA
Sat 10/28/2006 Minnesota Columbus, Ohio TBA
Sat 11/04/2006 Illinois Champaign, Ill. TBA
Sat 11/11/2006 Northwestern Evanston, Ill. TBA
Sat 11/18/2006 Michigan Columbus, Ohio

This is a favorable schedule for a strong run. Bowling Green and Northern Illinois, (as Buckeye pointed out) are two of the tougher MAC teams and will likely not be put away quickly. Since the Buckeyes return all of their explosive skill players except Santonio Holmes, but lose 7 out of 11 on defense, I think we will see a year that resembles a typical OSU year...looking vulnerable in the early part of the year and then rolling through the latter part of the schedule and their bowl game. I think 11-1 is my first prediction, with a loss to Texas (Vince Young returning or not). The Big Ten schedule is extremely favorable, with Penn State and Michigan at home. Tougest road conference opponent is Iowa. If we lose to anyone in the Big Ten, it's gonna be to PSU again as they get us early. If we beat Michigan it'll be for the sixth time in seven years, I believe?

AKRON: They kick off next season in Happy Valley, as Penn State finally gets to play in a REAL bowl game, or what I like to call the Midwestern Conferences Championship game (MAC Champs vs Big Ten Champs).

All kidding aside, I'd like to find some angle why Akron might hang, but I can't. Like the last time these two teams met last year, the game will be out of reach midway through the second quarter.

As far as the rest of the Zips' schedule, it's not realeased, but other than Penn State they travel to North Carolina State and Cincinnati, and they have one more slot to fill, probably a 1-AA school.

I do like Akron's chances to contend for a MAC title....they return a lot of key parts to their defense (#1 in the MAC last year), and JD Brookhart(their coach) is something of a offensive guru. QB Luke Getsey is back and will have more 400 yard games, but their workhorse RB (Brett Biggs) as well as the poster boy for their championship run this year, WR Domenik Hixon. They get Ohio State again in 2007 and 2011.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

WVU:
9/2/06 Marshall H C-USA
TBA Maryland H ACC
TBA Buffalo H MAC
TBA East Carolina A C-USA
TBA Mississippi State A SEC
TBA Louisville A Big East
TBA Cincinnati H Big East
TBA Rutgers H Big East
TBA Syracuse H Big East
TBA UConn A Big East
TBA Pitt A Big East
TBA South Florida H Big East

Well, at least the Mountaineers don't have a I-AA team on the schedule, though Buffalo's not all that inspiring an opponent.

A trip to the deep south will be interesting.
But, aside from the road trips to Louisville and Pitt (anything can happen at Pitt most years, and they did start to put some things together, before we pulverized them, anyway) and the ever-unpredictable game against the Terps, well... there's little reason to believe that the Mountaineers can't repeat the 11-1 season, if they don't finish undefeated.

This is the beginning of the twelve game seasons forever and always, isn't it?
Oh, well. I'll get used to it.

EDIT: Interestingly, looking ahead a couple years, the Mountaineers have a home-away series in '08/'09 with Auburn. Also, looks like the intrastate rivalry with Marshall has been cemented, as their on the schedule all the way to '13. The 'Eers also have a h/a series with Michigan St in '10/'11, and Florida State in '12/'13. I'm sure it'll be extended, but sadly, Maryland isn't on the '13 schedule. Holes remain in '13, so I'm sure they'll get the Terps re-upped.

Last edited by MountaineerDave; 01-06-2006 at 11:21 PM.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:16 PM   #10
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I can deal w/the 12 games Dave, if it means i get college football just a little longer. I hate the off season. Nothing fills the void for me. (how sad does that sound?)
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

One of my biggest problems with the twelve game schedule (today, the reason is due to change with my mood) is that there's it practically requires teams schedule crummy games, like Western Kentucky or Villanova (WVU has them listed in '08) or James Madison (against whom WVU wasn't nearly strong enough this past season, but they hadn't found Slaton or begun starting White yet).
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

MICHIGAN STATE SPAAAAAAAAAARTANS (since Alex covered PSU and I'll definitely root for MSU like 5 times next season)

Sept. 2 IDAHO
Sept. 9 EASTERN MICHIGAN
Sept. 16 at Pittsburgh
Sept. 23 NOTRE DAME
Sept. 30 ILLINOIS (HC)
Oct. 7 at Michigan
Oct. 14 OHIO STATE
Oct. 21 at Northwestern
Oct. 28 at Indiana
Nov. 4 PURDUE
Nov. 11 MINNESOTA
Nov. 18 at Penn State

Man, Spartans are scheduling Idaho? Could have at least schedule Boise St. Damn.

Well, they'll probably be 3-0, beat the Irish, go 4-0, get the talk going and then do how they do.

Academically I think John L. has the program in real good shape.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:34 PM   #13
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

Since the conference schedule is released early 2006, I dont have the exact dates of the games so it looks a bit whacked out

Sept. 4 Florida State
Sept. 9 Florida A&M
TBA Cincinnati
TBA Boston College
TBA North Carolina
TBA Virginia Tech
Oct. 14 Florida International
TBA @ Louisville
TBA @ Maryland
TBA @ Virginia
TBA @ Georgia Tech
TBA @ Duke

The new coaches coming in will benefit from a soft ass schedule.

Florida A&M, Cincinnati, Duke and Florida International arent exactly what I call top notch competition. I would have alteast preferred that Dee had scheduled South Florida...

Decent road game opponents would include playing in Louisville and Charlottesville. Miami will also be looking to avenge their loss to Georgia Tech in Atlanta.

The Hurricanes have to rebuild their entire offense from top to bottom. Starters on the offensive line, they must bulk up on their wide reciever corps. Two starting cornerbacks and a glaring weakness at middle linebacker.

Best case scenerio: 10-2 with losses against Florida State at home and Louisville. The offense would shape up during the season and the defense is as good as advertised. We have immediate help in WR and Ty Moss has a solid year at running back with a possible BCS berth saving Larry Coker's job atleast one more season.

Worst case scenerio: 8-4 with losses to Virginia Tech, Florida State, Louisville and a tough opponent in Virginia at Charlottesville. The offense struggles through out the whole year failing to click with the offensive coordinator. The defense doesnt hold its ground due to an underachieving offense that gives no help and Larry Coker gets fired at the end of the season.
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

It's too early to make predictions for keeps, but three games really worry me in regards to Ohio State...

Northern Illinois...They have proven to be pesky foes and Tressel is a slow-starter.

AT Texas...Despite losing Vince Young this will still be a tough test. Ohio State is 1-4 under Jimmy T. in opening road games and a mediocre 9-10-1 in their last twenty road openers.

Michigan...go figure.

After the Spring Games, we'll get a better idea of what is going on.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:53 PM   #15
Gohawks
All-Star Player

Gohawks is on a distinguished road

Sept. 2 Montana
Sept. 9 at Syracuse
Sept. 16 Iowa State
Sept. 23 at Illinois
Sept. 30 Ohio State
Oct. 7 Purdue (HC)
Oct. 14 at Indiana
Oct. 21 at Michigan
Oct. 28 Northern Illinois
Nov. 4 Northwestern (FW)
Nov. 11 Wisconsin
Nov. 18 at Minnesota

First game is against Montana, they are a good Div. II opp, but its not even gonna be close.
second game: This will be a closer game I think than most expect.. But in the end I think the Hawkeyes win it by 2 TDs.
game 3: The "Clowns" get a wake up call... And go home to lAmes crying.
game 4: Illinois is an easy win, mark it down.
Game 5: I honestly can't pick this one... It could go either way, I think Iowa has the slight edge since its at kinnick, if it was at tOSU then i would pick OSU by 2 TD's.
Gmae 6: Come on... Its HC, Iowa wins this one, although it might be pretty close..
Game 7: Mark it Down..
game 8: I think Michigan wins... But you never know Iowa has pulled it off before.
Game 9: NIU will put up a fight... But theres no way they beat Iowa at Kinnick
game 10: Iowa will beat up on NW, and give them a nice taste of revenge for last year.
Game 11: I think Wisky will put up a fight.. But in the end Iowa is just too much.
Game 12: Come on... Its Kinnick North, Iowa in a close one though

Overall I see three records possible... 11-1, 10-2, or 9-3... Nothing worse than 9-3... Should happen. Iowa will be a contender for the Big Ten title next year, even though Hodge and Greenway are gone. And Eddy Hinkel and Solomon are gone. Tony Moeaki WOW... He is gonna be somthing special next year.... 8 catches this year and he still got over a hundred yards... Plus those one-handed grabs he makes look like nothing.... Forgot to say... I bolded the games i think are the toughest for next year.