Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Why I hate Tressel...

So Pittman, C Wells, Wilson and Haslem held a dinner to benefit their familes so they can go to Glendale. One of the moms called OSU brass during the event and asked if it could be a violation. Damn right it could be. Now they might not play in the MNC Game vs. Florida.

http://www.dispatch.com/football/foo...227-B1-01.html

Here we go again.

This is Tressel's fault...100%.

This guy has never been able to understand (or he just ignores) the fact that there is a cultural divide between his players (all these guys are from neighborhoods in Akron where Mr. Rogers would never visit) and the lifestyle that is prevalant at a university such as Ohio State.

You gotta get down to brass tax with these kids and understand that they don't understand the culture they are operating in. You have all the resources in the world to get these kids to make it and you fail on something as basic as this? This isn't their world Tressel...it's your world. It's your job to do right by them for what they've given to you...their life. Classless. Stupid. Disgusting.

None of them would be at OSU if they couldn't play ball. They essentially (and this is no exaggeration) have given their lone chance in life to make it (with their families well-being on the line as well) to Tressel and the university and this is how he repays them? He falls asleep on the job?

This is why he shares the blame with kids like Clarett and Troy Smith. You get 'em from the ghetto and drop the ball when they screw up. I'm not saying Clarett and Smith aren't to blame for their mistakes too...but it's easy to see that this is a pattern with Tressel. Based on their circumstances (Tressel knew all about Clarett from his days in Youngstown and Smith took $ after beating Michigan as a sophmore) you can spread the blame around.

You can't do that with Pittman though. This kid (grant it...he is "rough around the edges"...but that's what happens when you grow up where these guys do) has done nothing wrong. He has talked about going pro in recent weeks cuz he "has a family to support."

And Tressel fails him like this? He lets this kid be a victim of an honest mistake?

This really boils my blood. I really hate Tressel for this attitude.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

how is it possible that ANY coach allows his players to engage in anything involving money a week before the NC game? Coaches should know if their player picks up a nickel off the ground, because it might be a violation. I agree that Tressel has a serious problem with this. The biggest shame is that thing was a great gesture by the players and they might burn for it. Sounds like they will be able to play, but how does he let these guys get into this situation?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't know. I have to think that since the money ultimately ended up going to a local pee wee football league and neither the players or their families gained any direct benefit from the fund raiser after they realized it could be a violation that the NCAA has no real reason to do anything about it.

They let Dwayne Jarrett skate on the rent issue once he agreed to pay it back to Leinart's father.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I don't know. I have to think that since the money ultimately ended up going to a local pee wee football league and neither the players or their families gained any direct benefit from the fund raiser after they realized it could be a violation that the NCAA has no real reason to do anything about it.

They let Dwayne Jarrett skate on the rent issue once he agreed to pay it back to Leinart's father.
Yeah, it looks like this is gonna end ok as far as the kids getting a chance to play.

But that ain't the point doublee. The point is:

How does this happen?

That's my problem here. I'm aimin' right for Tressel on this one.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Oh, I am not a huge fan of Tressel's either. I cannot help but think it is only a matter of time until OSU goes on probation.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

I'm Michigan fan and I think Tressel is the best coach in college football. Not sure if that means anything, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Oh, I don't think there is any debating Tressel's acumen as a football coach just that from everything that I have heard and read about the guy he seems to have a minimal grasp on the rules or he just does not seem to care.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Oh, I don't think there is any debating Tressel's acumen as a football coach just that from everything that I have heard and read about the guy he seems to have a minimal grasp on the rules or he just does not seem to care.
I don't think there is any doubt about that. I would suggest that he simplpy doesn't care.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Ohio State will never go on probation, at least not for this. It took decades of rampant cheating before SMU got the death penalty. Alabama got in trouble for egregious recruiting violations. The NCAA has proven time and again that they won't punish the big (read: money making) schools unless the offense is so egregious that they can't just try to sweep it under the rug.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, seeing as he has to pass a test on NCAA regulations to able to recruit every year I'd say he just doesn't care.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:53 PM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Yeah, it looks like this is gonna end ok as far as the kids getting a chance to play.

But that ain't the point doublee. The point is:

How does this happen?

That's my problem here. I'm aimin' right for Tressel on this one.
Well, it starts by the NCAA making awful rules. At least with this specific thing. The Clarett and Smith things and some of OSUs other problems, if you want to get on Tressel for it, go for it.

The NCAA is so lazy when it comes to this sort of stuff. Clearly you want to avoid situations where players hold spaghetti dinners and NIKE, REEBOOK, some agents and some boosters come through with like $1000 a plate. However, this doesn't seem like it is that. From another article, it looks like they got 100 people to put down $8 a plate. If they can verify this and it was clear where the money was going, then there is absolutely no reason for this to be considered a violation.

But, the NCAA refuses to handle these matters in a responsible manner, so they impose blanket sanctions for activity. It's an absolute joke. Case by case basis. It makes things more difficult, but it makes things better in instances like this.

I would love it if Tressel pulled a Tarkanian and called the NCAA on their shortsightedness, but for some reason I don't see that happening.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:53 PM   #12
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Hey Buck, all of the online betting sites I've looked at this afternoon have taken the game off of the board. Not looking good.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Hey Buck, all of the online betting sites I've looked at this afternoon have taken the game off of the board. Not looking good.
I would say good...maybe it will teach 'em... but it won't.

Columbus was taken over by the elitists for good back in 1986 when they fired Bruce because he wouldn't kow-tow to them and change the time of his weekly tv show. It's also when OSU started going thru a series of ADs and presidents...to find the right screw.That's how petty these ass***** are. They fired a man of integrity who went 4-4 vs. Michigan (he was canned on the Monday before his final Michigan game in which OSU won...putting him at 5-4...basically I'd kiss his feet if he walked into my house for that).

And of course the Tressel supporters are all coming out now...especially down in Columbus with the Dispatch leading the charge.

"Oh the rules are stupid. They are petty."

No...rules are rules. If I'm gonna start being sympathetic to the plight of an individual or a program I ain't gonna start at the top...meaning Jim Tressel and The Ohio State University.

doublee...

I don't know about probation. He doesn't care...correct. Thing is... he does just enough to keep his head above water and the sweater vest lookin' pristine for the public to buy. He did it in Youngstown and he's doin' it again in Columbus. He's dodged several major bullets...some by pure luck if you ask me.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #14
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

These really aren't rules violations on Tressel's part, however. He didn't organize or know about the dinner. Maybe you can fault him for not being as in touch with what is going on in his player's lives as he should be, but I think the attacks here are a little extreme. It isn't blatant disregard for the rules because he didn't know about the dinner. As soon as the OSU staff found out about it, they put the nix on it immediately. You can't compare this to Alabama or SMU in my opinion.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:10 PM   #15
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid View Post
These really aren't rules violations on Tressel's part, however. He didn't organize or know about the dinner. Maybe you can fault him for not being as in touch with what is going on in his player's lives as he should be, but I think the attacks here are a little extreme. It isn't blatant disregard for the rules because he didn't know about the dinner. As soon as the OSU staff found out about it, they put the nix on it immediately. You can't compare this to Alabama or SMU in my opinion.
This may be the case, but still, you are gearing up for the NC! Maybe you could at leats verify everyone is behaving and not trying anything that could REMOTELY resemble a violation. This time for Tressel should resemble right before your kid leaves the house for the prom dance. You GOTTA throw in something about behaving yourself, no matter how small the violation was/would have been, I am blown away by the timing! What next, a player gets money from a booster as he laces his cleats back up at halftime?