Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-18-2006, 07:19 PM   #16
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

To be honest I never understood why so many folks saw the Giants as a Super Bowl contender since Eli has never shown he can consistently win big games, the team committed tons of stupid penalties last year, and the o-line was nothing special to speak of.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:06 PM   #17
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Jaguar Rick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufpax View Post
I had originally felt the Panthers were going to go. They ended last season fairly well and started this season on a good note. Now they seem to be having the dreaded injuries that just wipe teams out. It was frightful when I saw my Giants struggling.

I now look to seeing the Chargers, most definetly. And hope they can win it. Would love for Rivers to get a ring in his starting season. Although it would be another slap in the face for Eli!

Not sure who they would play against yet. The Saints would be a good game. I would also like a matchup against the Bears.
wufax, I've been following the Panthers for years. Jaguars too. My team since I became a fan in the 50s were the Redskins. They are all giving my heartaches. The Redskins stink this year, you say injuries, I say the Panthers aren't playing with confidence, and are easily knocked-off their game plan. The Jaguars can't win on the road even when they run over their opponents. They have 14 starters on IR. This is the strangest year I can remember. It is impossible to pick winners each week. As soon as a team looks good, or bad, they change your mind quickly.
I think you have to go with the AFC, and that means, right now, the Chargers. As for an opponent in the NFC, who knows? Whomever it is, I think they lose to the Chargers/AFC.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:07 PM   #18
grifter
Skateboarding thug, Baby!

grifter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Right now I have no doubt that the AFC West San Diego
Chargers are the best team in all of football.
More like the most complete and best team in the NFL right now.

Originally I thought it was going to be a repeat SB with the Pats and the Panthers. With the Panthers winning it.
Now I'm going to say the Saints and the Chargers in a high scoring game with the Chargers winning a close one.

I played golf once. While everyone else was trying to hit holes in one, I hit a person. Let me tell ya that was so much more fun. I didn't know you were supposed to yell Four, I was to busy mumbling "I'm gonna miss him, alittle bit more to the left"
grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:22 AM   #19
wufpax
cbs refugee

wufpax is on a distinguished road

Rick i just meant that may be the problem at this time...I'm not a big fan of the Panthers...my heart is with the Giants(also, I'm a huge Philip Rivers fan). My fiance is a panther maniac...how interesting...

he has made the same pt as yourself, every game this year has been really tough to decide...I have had a terrible go at my picks since wk 10(I think it was-Ravana can tell ya). I had made some progress last week and then dropped completely down again this week. I just like that 8-8!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #20
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
To be honest I never understood why so many folks saw the Giants as a Super Bowl contender since Eli has never shown he can consistently win big games, the team committed tons of stupid penalties last year, and the o-line was nothing special to speak of.

The Giants also had big-time strength-of-schedule issues going into this season, their .051 jump in SOS from what they played in 2005 being exceeded only by Tampa Bay (up .090), Cincinnati (up .066) and Carolina (up .055).

And those four teams, who were all 11-5 a year ago, are a combined 24-32 with two weeks remaining in this season.

Fascinating.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:42 PM   #21
grifter
Skateboarding thug, Baby!

grifter is on a distinguished road

^Thats what happens when you do good the year before and you got 2 strong divisions playing each other with some of the strongest teams from the other conferences mixed in.

Next year will be diffrent again though. The Panthers have had thi wierd trend of 7-9 one year 11-5 the next.........etcetc

I played golf once. While everyone else was trying to hit holes in one, I hit a person. Let me tell ya that was so much more fun. I didn't know you were supposed to yell Four, I was to busy mumbling "I'm gonna miss him, alittle bit more to the left"
grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #22
illallowit
Wait, where am I?

illallowit is on a distinguished road

Earlier in the season I would have said San Diego vs. Chicago, but with the Bears offense playing the way it is, I just don't think they will be able to do it. I'm going with San Diego vs. New Orleans with the Chargers pulling out a close one. Of course I'm still going to root for Seattle but I'm not holding my breath...
Old 12-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #23
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Today's fun fact:

Since the league went to the 16-game schedule in the late 70s only 2 teams have made the Super Bowl that won less than 11 games in the regular season (1979 Los Angeles with 9 and 1988 San Francisco with 10). The Niners won their Super Bowl but the Rams lost.

In the 73 years that the NFL has held a championship game (later called the Super Bowl) there have been only 3 teams (out of 146 participants) that have got to the final game with a regular season winning percentage that was less than 65% (1934 NY Giants, 1979 L.A. Rams, 1988 San Francisco).

To get above the 65% winning percentage in the 16-game regular season without having any ties...you need 11 wins.

And all these games at the end count?

Yeah...right.

In that spirit...I'll go with the Patriots (with 11 wins to date).
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote