Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default Matt Cassel: The $63 Million Man

They say a man's home is his castle; well now Matt Cassel can afford a pretty fancy one, complete with drawbridges, moats (and I'm not talking about the Ryan Moats variety here), you name it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4327067

And don't know about you, but I have enough confidence in KC's front office and its ability to make decisions of this sort that I hereby proclaim the Chargers-Chiefs exacta in the AFC West in 2009 to be cold!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

One good year in New England ... less than a year, in fact ... and now he's suddenly a franchise QB. We'll see how good he really is when he plays on a lousy Chiefs team without NE's coaching and talent. I'm not saying he's a bust, but I think playing in such a good system contributed to his success...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
One good year in New England ... less than a year, in fact ... and now he's suddenly a franchise QB. We'll see how good he really is when he plays on a lousy Chiefs team without NE's coaching and talent. I'm not saying he's a bust, but I think playing in such a good system contributed to his success...

But remember that Cassel added four extra victories to New England's "quota," pursuant to the Super Bowl Runner-Up Jinx - and 6-7 wins will in all likelihood enable KC to complete the division exacta.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

BeDaBear is on a distinguished road

I thought Thigpen did alright for them last year. I don't know why they went after Cassel to tell you the truth when they have many more needs than QB imo. The best move they made was getting rid of H. Edwards, and then they turn around and let Tony G go. K.C has been in a big mess for awhile now. Yeah, Matt Cassel better be all that for K.C fans.
BeDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDaBear View Post
I thought Thigpen did alright for them last year. I don't know why they went after Cassel to tell you the truth when they have many more needs than QB imo. The best move they made was getting rid of H. Edwards, and then they turn around and let Tony G go. K.C has been in a big mess for awhile now. Yeah, Matt Cassel better be all that for K.C fans.

You need to be careful and analyze this dynamically, not statically: With everybody shoving eight, nine, and even ten guys in the box to stop Larry Johnson, you or I could have compiled the same numbers as Tyler Thigpen - and the bottom line is that he played just "well enough" to get the Chiefs beat.

And so far as Herm Edwards goes - clearly the front office hung him out to dry. They didn't even try and give him anything to work with.

As for Tony Gonzalez - he's old, and there is a business side to the NFL.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You need to be careful and analyze this dynamically, not statically: With everybody shoving eight, nine, and even ten guys in the box to stop Larry Johnson, you or I could have compiled the same numbers as Tyler Thigpen - .
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but are you saying that now that K.C has Cassel, teams will not be stacking the line to stop the run because they fear the arm and the QB abilities of Matt Cassel?

Let me ask you this as well. Is K.C a better team without Tony G? I think they are a little worse, but the season hasen't even started yet so we'll have to wait and see what all happens. One thing K.C has on it's side is that the AFC West might be the worst division in the NFL (next to the NFC West). At least they have that going for them.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think the biggest key for the Chiefs is getting a running game going. Cassel can be very solid passing, but KC's always been about a running game and defense. Larry Johnson's fall of grace has been a big part of it. He had a better year last year, but still was a shadow of his '06-'07 self. If he can get above 1,000 yards, they will be respectable...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

Here is how I look at it. Cassel is coming from a team with a lot of talent, and now he's going to a team with little talent (imo). You already have a QB in KC that's looking pretty good with little talent.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking KC jumped the gun in signing Matt Cassel when they have other needs to fill. Come on, how good is KC going to be this year? You stick with Thigpen and if the team does well you are fine. If the team doesn't do well you have a shot at getting one of these young guns coming out in next years draft.

Here's the question. Is Matt Cassel that good, or was it the talent on N.E that made Cassel look good? We are going to find that out.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDaBear View Post
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but are you saying that now that K.C has Cassel, teams will not be stacking the line to stop the run because they fear the arm and the QB abilities of Matt Cassel?

Let me ask you this as well. Is K.C a better team without Tony G? I think they are a little worse, but the season hasen't even started yet so we'll have to wait and see what all happens. One thing K.C has on it's side is that the AFC West might be the worst division in the NFL (next to the NFC West). At least they have that going for them.

No, I don't think you're being a "smart ass" at all; but Matt Cassel is 10-5 lifetime as a starter in the NFL. What's Tyler Thigpen's lifetime record as a starter?

And who said anything about the Chiefs being a "better team" without Tony Gonzalez? Don't know how old you are, so the name Marty Domres might not mean anything to you: Domres was Johnny Unitas' backup with the then-Baltimore Colts in 1972. That year, the Colts got off to a 1-4 start, prompting Colts GM Joe Thomas to issue head coach Don McCafferty an ultimatum: Bench Unitas or be fired; McCafferty refused, and Thomas canned him, with the owner's blessing.

But Thomas' rationale for advocating the QB change was revealing: "If we're going to lose, we might as well lose with young players so that they may grow and mature together."

This is obviously the same mindest as the Chiefs front office currently has.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Either way you slice it the Chiefs are not going to be serious Super Bowl contenders whether Thigpen or Cassel is the QB. They might be able to contend in the division just because it so crappy but they don't have the horses to run with teams like the Steelers, Pats, Colts, etc.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Either way you slice it the Chiefs are not going to be serious Super Bowl contenders whether Thigpen or Cassel is the QB. They might be able to contend in the division just because it so crappy but they don't have the horses to run with teams like the Steelers, Pats, Colts, etc.

But 6-10 or 7-9 and second in the AFC West is better than the 2-14 and last-place finishes therein KC recorded in 2008 - unless of course you're one of these people who think that a team "sucked" in a season in which they did anything less than win the Super Bowl.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #12
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Arent you Anthony. Mcnabb is garbage unless he wins the superbowl right?
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 AM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3 View Post
Arent you Anthony. Mcnabb is garbage unless he wins the superbowl right?

McNabb is garbage - but for other, better reasons.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #14
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Go big or go home, I guess, for the Chiefs.

I really think that Cassel was just the beneficiary of a really good team and coach. As much as I hate the Pats, they are a good (and sometimes great) team. And while they did have a "good" season without Brady, they didn't win the Super Bowl. It'll be interesting to see what happens to him.