Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-17-2002, 12:20 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default New Orleans Saints Report Week 2

The New Orleans Saints and running back Deuce McAllister manhandled the Green Bay Packers at home in the Superdome, and came away with a 35-20 win.

It seemed that McAllister had something to prove and he did. He rushed for 123 yards on 21 carries, and scored two rushing touchdowns. Scoring his first, in the first quarter on a 4-yard run. He also scored the last touchdown of the game in the fourth quarter with 2:00 minutes to go. That was on a 2-yard run.

With Sunday’s performance, and his second straight game rushing for over 100 yards, McAllister silenced some of his critics, at least for a while, and won the hearts from some of the 67,958 fans in attendance. You could hear the crowd chanting “Deeeuuuuuce” on several occasions. Slowly but surely, he is helping the fans forget about Ricky Williams, who was dealt to Miami during the off-season.

The biggest question facing McAllister is, can he stay healthy? He was injury prone a lot during his college football career with the Mississippi Rebels. Can he hold up under a 16-game schedule? We sure hope so. Saints center Jerry Fontenot, a 14-year veteran, says he really sees great talent in McAllister as a runner. He should know, he’s blocked for, and seen a few good ones in his day.

The biggest moment for McAllister came in the fourth quarter, when he scampered for a 62-yard run, down to the Packer 5-yard line. Couple of plays later he ran in for a 2-yard score. The crowd went slap crazy with joy.

The Saints had not beaten the Packers since 1987, so this victory tasted real sweet. Packers quarterback Brett Favre was 9-0 inside the Superdome prior to Sunday’s loss.

Favre won his only Super Bowl title inside the Superdome, back in 1997, against the New England Patriots in a 35-21 victory.

Favre threw well in Sunday’s loss. He completed 29-of-47 for 270 yards, and two touchdowns. He threw one touchdown pass to Terry “yes I’m real moody” Glenn, and the other one to Donald Driver. Glenn caught nine passes for 81 yards. You may want to consider placing Driver on your fantasy squad. He may be a good one real soon.

As a side note, eight busloads of Favre’s adoring fans came to see him play from his hometown of Kiln(pronounced kill), Mississippi, which is a one hour away from New Orleans. They left disappointed I’m sure.

Now back to New Orleans’ sweet victory for a moment. The Saints opened the game with a 68-yard scoring drive, which included three third down conversions and 54 yards in passing by
quarterback Aaron Brooks. McAllister punched it in for the first touchdown of the game from 4-yards out, as I stated earlier.

Ex-Colts receiver Jerome Pathon scored on a 5-yard touchdown pass from Brooks in the second quarter

Wide receiver Joe “big play” Horn caught six passes for 120 yards. I hope you picked him to be on your fantasy team. He didn’t score a touchdown, but he contributed much to the team’s win on Sunday. Even rookie receiver, Donte Stallworth out of Tennessee got in on the act. He scored on a 34-yard pass from Brooks in the second quarter.

I’m excited about this team, aren’t you? You don’t have to answer that.

The Saints even opened up the second half with a touchdown. Packers wide receiver Glenn fumbled the ball, and 22-year old cornerback Keyuo Craver out of Nebraska ran it in for a 38-yard score. The defense played a large role in Sunday’s victory as you can tell.

The Packers gained 357 yards in total offense, but only had 95 yards rushing. Saints defense held running back Ahman Green to 81 yards on 17 carries. That’s great when you hold this man to under 100 yards rushing in any game. Green Bay completed just 22 percent of their third-down attempts(2 of 9), compared to 70 percent for the Saints, who also had 357 yards in total offense.

The New Orleans defense also broke Brett Favre’s 158 consecutive pass streak, without an interception. Saints linebacker Darrin Smith grabbed one from Favre in the first quarter of the game, to end it at 158.

The Saints defense wants to be regarded as the most physical in the whole NFL. Love their attitude.

Saints quarterback Aaron Brooks ended up completing 16-of-28 for 217 yards and two touchdowns. By the way, he was the third-string quarterback for Green Bay back in 1999.
Now he’s regarded as a very good starting quarterback.

The Saints are 13-23 all-time in home openers, but they have won four out of the last five.

Ok, so the Saints are now 2-0, and sit a top of the new NFC South, tied with the Carolina Panthers. The so-called football experts never expected this I bet. Also, the Saints had a very impressive victory over Tampa Bay last week, so this team, led by head coach Jim Haslett is headed in the right direction it seems.

In closing, the Saints need to work on one particular area, that being penalties. They had nine yesterday for 59 yards. One of those penalties nullified a 50-yard touchdown run by McAllister in the third quarter. Yes a 59-yard run brought back. Bummer! The Saints offense and defense will be tested again Sept. 22nd, when they play the 2-0 Chicago Bears in Champaign, Illinois. Hope to see you at the game.

Last edited by bama4256; 09-18-2002 at 12:15 AM.
bama4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 12:27 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Deuce, Horn, and Brooks have a great balance on that offense and their defense has surprisingly been bullet-proof. They have surprised me and it's making them look like geniuses for trading Ricky as Deuce is just as good!
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 02:39 PM   #3
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well, Deuce is not a rookie, he is a 2nd year player....but he has been very impressive so far! I like this Saints team now that I have seen them play, and they look like a definite contender for the playoffs....but before the season started I thought their secondary would suffer and give up too many plays for them to win 10 games. After watching their first 2 games, the Saints are much more explosive on offense then I had originally thought and their defensive secondary is holding up.

Joey
Old 09-18-2002, 12:16 AM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Sorry I was brain dead when I placed him as a rookie-sorry I just wasn't thinking-I changed it-thank-you.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:53 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Naturally it's better to be 2-0 than 0-2, but let's face it: The Saints needed a punter throwing an interception out of his own end zone to win their opener, and beating Green Bay indoors and on artificial turf is hardly an earth-shattering event. I've seen nothing thus far that would make me change my original prediction: Yes, the Saints should win the NFC South, but if they get to the conference championship game, Jim Haslett should be named coach of the decade - and there's still seven more years left in it after this season.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote