Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-22-2002, 02:24 AM   #1
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road
Default Late, Late, Late Christmas Presents- NFL Free Agents

Well the holiday of all holidays is near, as in 4 days near, and while some NFL teams are focusing on winning their next two and getting a playoff birth as a late Christmas present, others are making plans for next year and wishing for top free agents.

Here is my list of top free agents and where they might end up-

David Boston, WR Arizona- Likley to leave Arizona, they can't afford him; Possibilities: Eagles, Bucs, Packers, 49ers, Falcons, Chargers, basically every team is a possibility, probably the most attractive free agent on the market, with Peerless Price and Mark Bulger following

Jake Plummer, QB Arizona- Not sure if he will leave or not, he's still a good QB IMO, just, as Joey T said, needs a change of sceniary; Possibilities- Giants, Ravens, Redskins, Panthers, Cowboys, Bears

Marcel Shipp, RB Arizona- An attractive young player, not a lot of speed but has great power and is shifty, will liley end up staying in Arizona but if he doesn't, pretty much every team will want him whether it's for a starting or backup spot

Chris McAlister, CB Baltimore- Could be the next top player to leave Baltimore. Has not been in the leauge long and could blossom into a very good corner, so he's an attractive player. Doubtful he'll stay in Baltimore; possibilities: 49ers, Steelers, Minnesota

Jeff Blake, QB Baltimore- Still effective, has had a few 300-yards games this year, could start for a few teams. Would be a good fit anywhere, except Green Bay.

Peerless Price, WR Buffalo- Like I said before, is one of the three hottest free agents on the market, he's had a Pro Bowl caliber season, is still very young. Everyone wants this guy, but you have to think he wants to stay in Buffalo, he has Drew Bledsoe throwing the ball to him, and he doesn't have to worry about double coverage with Eric Moulds on the other side.

Rosevelt Colvin, LB Chicago- Has had a great year, should have gone to the Pro Bowl with his 11 sacks. He is a fast young linebacker who has a lot of skill. Likley to get out of Chicago, could go to anyone, no one would pass up this guy.

Takeo Spikes, LB Cinncinati- Is one of the most underrated players in the leauge. Is very quick to the ball and basically does all the work on a very bad Bengals defense. Will liley get out of Cinncinati, could go anywhere (this is becoming a trend).

Kevin Johnson, WR Cleveland- Tim Couch's go-to-guy ever since he's been there. Probabaly isn't a #1 reciever, for Cleveland yes, but not anywhere else. He could do what Keenan McCardell is doing in Tampa, that type of target. Is, like most people, probably realizing that Tim Couch isn't all he was cracked up to be, so my guess would be he'll leave. Perfect fit for any team who needs someone opposite their main reciever.

Troy Hambrick, RB Dallas- Most likley won't leave Dallas since Emmitt is on his way out. I think he can be a very good back in the NFL. He's big at 233 pounds, and runs with power.

Trev Faulk, LB Arizona- Didn't play at all this season, don't know if it was beacuse of injuries or what but was highly touted coming out of LSU. Really have no say here since he didn't play this season, was a rookie.

Olandis Gary, RB Denver- Was a 1,000-yard back in 1999, troubled with injuries and playing time since. Decent size at 5'11, 218, he just needs to get out of Denver. Clinton Portis and Mike Anderson are staying in that backfield, for a while. I', sure he'll be effective again once he gets a fair shot. Possibilities- Lions, Texans, Redskins, Patriots, Buccaneers.

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, DE Green Bay- Suprised everyone with his 13.5 sacks lasy year, most likley because he didn't start a single game. This season, the Pack have come to their senses and given the kid a shot, starting him in 9 of 13 games. He's produced, with 11 sacks so far. Would be a great addition to any team, whether he starts or not.

Mike Peterson, LB Indianapolis- He and Marcus Washington were pretty much the only players Indy had defensivley the past two years, but with Tony Dungy coming in and re-vamping the defense, that's not the case anymore. He is a great player and is still young, but I don't think he will leave Indy, that team has a future.

Stacey Mack, RB Jacksonville- Filled in pretty nicley for Fred Taylor last year, with 877 yards in 10 games started. Don't think he would be as effective starting as he would a third-down back. Would be a nice backup to any runner who gets the majority of the load, a guy you can depend on to get a few first-downs. My guess is he'll go to Washington.

Micheal Lewis, KR New Orleans- Great returner, even greater story. Is really a key player for NO and a good player to have on your team. He can be reliable as a reciever as well. If teams don't go after this guy, they are really making a mistake. NO would be crazy to let him go.

Laveranues Coles, WR NYJ- Another very underrated player. Reached 1,000 yards reciveing for the first time in his young 3-year career. Not very big, but is perfect for the Jets offense. Likley won't leave with the talent on that Jets team. But if he looks elswhere, whoever gets him will have a major steal.

Hugh Douglas, DE Philadelphia- Having one of his better years this season, will be a hot player on the market. He, like Coles, probably won't leave due to the teams success, but who knows.

Mark Bulger, QB St. Louis- Second best free agent avaliable IMO. Is no doubt leaving St. Louis, and will start wherever he goes. Has shown he can win in the NFL and has a bright future. Bettya he goes to Washington.

Last edited by The J; 12-22-2002 at 02:00 PM.
The J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 03:28 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. The Eagles will pursue Kevin Johnson because he was McNabb's go-to guy at Syracuse and David Boston will be much too expensive for Jeffrey Lurie; if Marc Bulger does leave (because Mike Martz decides to stick with Kurt Warner), the Dallas-Washington rivalry will undergo an instant revival because those two teams will engage in a fierce bidding war for Bulger's services, leaving Plummer for Chicago; Boston has Tampa Bay written all over him, the Patriots, Lions and Texans are the front-runners to land Gary, and look for the 49ers to make a strong bid for Douglas.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 03:36 AM   #3
NFLinsider
Sports Enthusiast

NFLinsider is on a distinguished road

Great list. Do you mind If I post that on my site
NFLinsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 01:49 PM   #4
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

No go ahead.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:03 PM   #5
magman1621
Grizzled Veteran

magman1621 is on a distinguished road

I don't think the eagles will need to persue anyone and probably won't due to their salary cap situation. Their cap was fine in the beginning of the year but now the eagles just signed that huge Mcnabb contract and need to resign Hugh douglas if they even do that. They are also trying to extend brian dawkins's salary... and aparantly dawkins was mad about how much money Mcnabb got but he didn't make a big deal out of it. If the eagles don't resign douglas, which they should do, i wouldn't be surprised if they go out and get kevin johnson.
magman1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 12:44 AM   #6
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I don't think Kevin Johnson is leaving fellas. He seems pretty happy in Cleveland.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:47 AM   #7
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

But then again, that is what we said about Thome. Philly needs to stop taking our players!
Old 12-23-2002, 02:28 AM   #8
magman1621
Grizzled Veteran

settle down ricky we only took one of your players... too bad he was one of the best players in the game haha.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:32 AM   #9
Anthony

If the Eagles don't go all the way this year, it will be because their wide receivers are the worst in the NFL, or very close to it. Therefore they would have to go after somebody in free agency, since they will be drafting far too low to fill the need that way and they simply don't do quick-fix trades - not after Mike McCormack nearly destroyed the franchise when he went that route back in the '70s.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:57 AM   #10
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Talking about receiving corps.....if you look at the 2 hottest teams in the NFL the Titans and Philly....they both have lackluster receiving corps. I say these 2 teams are the hottest teams because they have the best record in the last 10 games....both going 9-1. I would not be surprised to see both the Eagles and Titans try to pick up a free agent at receiver in the offseason. The Titans hopefully will go for a younger free agent at wide receiver than the last 2 they have brought in....Yancey Thigpen and Carl Pickens....what busts those 2 old guys were!

Joey
Old 12-23-2002, 02:49 PM   #11
magman1621
Grizzled Veteran

"If the Eagles don't go all the way this year, it will be because their wide receivers are the worst in the NFL, or very close to it."

Wow I highly disagree, you obviously haven't been watching the Eagles this year. While the Eagles don't have anywhere near the best WR corps is definately isnt the worst in the league either. Their avg. and thats all they have to be. The Eagles don't have a #1 guy but they have three #2's and that aint that bad. If you think their individual stats dont look spectacular that's because their are splitting the load evenly. Between their top three wide recievers they have 2,021 yrds... that is not the worst WR corps in the league. That's like having two 1,000 yrd starting WR... they just use their 3rd one more often than other teams. How can you say that the Eagles recieving corps is the worst in the league when really THEY ARE THE SEVENTH BEST IN THE NFC... I recommend that you research what your talking about before you post it, or just don't say anything at all.

Last edited by magman1621; 12-23-2002 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:58 PM   #12
Shrike
Sports Enthusiast

Shrike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Thanks for the info. The Eagles will pursue Kevin Johnson because he was McNabb's go-to guy at Syracuse and David Boston will be much too expensive for Jeffrey Lurie; if Marc Bulger does leave (because Mike Martz decides to stick with Kurt Warner), the Dallas-Washington rivalry will undergo an instant revival because those two teams will engage in a fierce bidding war for Bulger's services, leaving Plummer for Chicago; Boston has Tampa Bay written all over him, the Patriots, Lions and Texans are the front-runners to land Gary, and look for the 49ers to make a strong bid for Douglas.
The Eagles will NOT be going for Kevin Johnson. And they won't be going for David Boston either, but it is not because of the money situation. Reid is happy with his receivers. They are doing fine. In fact, they are 12-3 with those receivers, who you call (incorrectly) the worst in the NFL. If they don't win the SB it will be because of a team effort that beat them, nothing more, and nothing less.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 06:35 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

The Eagles had the chance to trade Derrick Burgess and a #2 pick for Kevin Johnson during preseason and didn't, I don't see them going after him during free agency/
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 06:58 PM   #14
magman1621
Grizzled Veteran

I wouldn't have traded Derrick Burgess for KJ anyway... this guy had 6 sacks during his rookie year with limited playtime. He only got in 1/5 of the plays last year and had 6 SACKS!!! Too bad he got injured during their first game hopefully he'll be back soon. I also agree with Shrike, Any Reid has been very very pleased with his recievers.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:14 AM   #15
Anthony

If the Eagle receivers are so great, then how come they're averaging only 11.33 yards per completion, which is even less than what they averaged last year when they ranked 19th in the league? And you can't blame Donovan McNabb's injury for this, because McNabb was averaging only 10.85 yards per completion before he got hurt - totally debunking the idea that they have gotten more conservative on offense since the injury.