Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 02-26-2001, 01:42 AM   #1
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road

What do you guys think of the job Bud Selig is doing as Commissioner of Baseball so far?

Sometimes, I think Baseball wouldn't be in the mess they're in (ie. with sky rocketing salaries, declining T.V. ratings, another possible strike looming) if Baseball had a real commissioner, not an owner as a commissioner. I liked guys like Peter V. Ueberroth, the late A. Bartlett Giamatti, and Fay Vincent.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 09:21 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Spike
(with sky rocketing salaries, declining T.V. ratings, another possible strike looming)
...I justed wanted to point out that ALL professional sports in North America have declining ratings... well... the MLB, NBA, and NHL do... not sure about the NFL and the PGA, but baseball, basketball, and hockey have declinging ratings.

Also, a study by Statistics Canada shows that less people (in Canada) are watching TV all together... I would imagine that trend is similar in the US, too.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 11:33 AM   #3
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

Well... he could be doing a better job, but it could also be worse. He's kinf of a 'plain' commish.
Old 02-26-2001, 06:27 PM   #4
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Default N.F.L. attendance and T.V. ratings

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee:

...I justed wanted to point out that ALL professional sports in North America have declining ratings... well... the MLB, NBA, and NHL do... not sure about the NFL and the PGA, but baseball, basketball, and hockey have declinging ratings.
Actually, what I heard is that attendance in the N.F.L. was actually up this past season as compared to 2 years ago so maybe the N.F.L.'s T.V. ratings were up as well overall.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 07:28 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Well, one thing's for sure: of all of the major sports leagues, the NFL is in best shape, IMO. But that's another story...

Regarding Selig, he is a so-so Commish. It seems to me he is sitting around talking about things, but he isn't doing anything. Baseball needs a salary cap and a minimum salary oh so very much!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote