Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-12-2003, 07:10 PM   #1
jgpi
Rookie Player

jgpi is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Chiefs find a way to win

If you would have told me that the Chiefs would be 6-0 at that this point of the season I would have laughed at you.
What ever the reason is that they are getting the big W.
Keep it up chiefs.
Jgpi
Chief fan in Huskercountry
jgpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 07:32 PM   #2
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Way to go KC!!!

Almost 5 for 5 for Hall!!

Vikings 5-0
Packers 3-3

:banana:
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:36 PM   #3
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

Yeah, this is one where the Chiefs could have easily let go when they were trailing 31-14 entering the 4th quarter. Excellent job of rallying and not quitting.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:46 AM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

31-14 at Lambeau. How the hell do we blow a 17 point lead in one quarter? Then we get lucky in OT and Rod Walker gets a hand on Morton Andersen's FG attempt. Then Ahman Green gets the ball on the first play of the drive and coughs it up right into the hands of a KC defender. 57 yards later KC has a TD and we lose. I'm disappointed. We should've won that game. There was no excuse to lose.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:47 AM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I can think of an excuse, Alex. KC is better than Green Bay.

I think Packers fans should recognize by now that this ain't their year either, and hope that the Pack get a good draft pick to draft Favre's successor...

Dave
Old 10-13-2003, 01:10 PM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Dick Vermeil is an excellent coach and plus he has great talent there.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:38 PM   #7
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Green Bay is much improved on the offensive side of the ball from the begining of the season, and I think that is due to getting some of their WRs actually healthy. Ahman Green has been playing great ball the last few games barring that fumble in overtime.

I think Green Bay's secondary is their downfall though, and Trent Green made that effident yesterday as he threw for 400 yards.

Joey
Old 10-13-2003, 08:06 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
I can think of an excuse, Alex. KC is better than Green Bay.

I think Packers fans should recognize by now that this ain't their year either, and hope that the Pack get a good draft pick to draft Favre's successor...

Dave
So you blame Favre? Get real. He has been playing as well as anyone (although no one is playing as well as McNair) the last 2-3 weeks. His one INT was NOT his fault, Driver tipped it and the defender luckily caught it. Other than that, he was and has been flawless. His QB rating was well over 100.

I'm not ready to give up yet. I'm just sick and tired of people discounting teams before even the midway point of the season. Don't jump to conclusions. The Packers' offense was even more explosive than K.C.'s, and held Holmes and K.C.'s running game to under 100 yards -- and without the OT in which Holmes had his best runs, they held him under 50 yards.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:16 PM   #9
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
So you blame Favre?
I don't think he's blaming Favre, but starting to think about a successor is an interesting point. Favre is still very good, but no longer at the top of his game. And as we're seeing with the Oakland Raiders, in football, players can get really old, really fast. He's already got a Ring, and he's a lock for Canton, so maybe using a high draft pick on a quarterback for the future wouldn't be such a bad idea. It would mean Favre has one or two more years to play and mentor, plus, Green Bay wouldn't be totally screwed when he decides to retire.

That said. The Chiefs have been winning in amazing ways, but I'm not a big fan of "edge of the seat" wins every week. Sooner or later, they're not going to return a pick for a TD or have Hall act like he's playing Madden 2004 on the Rookie setting. But I'll enjoy the ride while it's on.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:51 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Noon
I don't think he's blaming Favre, but starting to think about a successor is an interesting point. Favre is still very good, but no longer at the top of his game. And as we're seeing with the Oakland Raiders, in football, players can get really old, really fast. He's already got a Ring, and he's a lock for Canton, so maybe using a high draft pick on a quarterback for the future wouldn't be such a bad idea. It would mean Favre has one or two more years to play and mentor, plus, Green Bay wouldn't be totally screwed when he decides to retire.

That said. The Chiefs have been winning in amazing ways, but I'm not a big fan of "edge of the seat" wins every week. Sooner or later, they're not going to return a pick for a TD or have Hall act like he's playing Madden 2004 on the Rookie setting. But I'll enjoy the ride while it's on.
Good reply. I am in denial over the Favre thing, and refuse to back down. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, injuries and working with a bunch of young receivers could be to blame for Favre's "struggles" at times. He is only now developing chemistry with Driver, Ferguson, and Walker. But drafting a high draft-pick would not only concede to the fact that winning right now isn't your main objective, but it would also send a strong negative message to Favre, IMO.

The Raiders are old ... 37, 38, 39, 40 old. Favre is 34, he just turned it, too. He is very healthy and has a good O-line that has given only three sacks this year, so I don't see why he can't play to his late 30s like Marino or Elway. He is on their level, afterall. The thing is that Favre's WRs and players around him are only going to get better, so that may give him more incentive to stick around and contend for another Super Bowl or two.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:36 PM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

With Dante Hall and Trent Green and Priest Holmes they will win more.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:03 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Marc,

Favre is like Marino inasmuch as he presses far too much when the team needs him to take a more relaxed approach. He takes the game on his shoulders, and while in his 20's he was able to make plays that mere mortals could never, he is no longer the Favre of 25/26. He's 34, as you point out. Elway got away from the pressing, and was obviously surrounded by great talent all over the field. Marino wasn't, and went down swinging, and it was ugly.

Whether Favre CAN be surrounded with enough talent to make a run of three-or-more years is highly questionable, and in my mind, doubtful. Don't forget to take these two things into account when measuring Favre's age: 1. He's played in more consecutive games than any QB in the modern era. That takes a toll. 2. He is a drug addict. He fought the battle and won so far, but that battle takes years off of lives. He may ONLY be 34, but he's really 36 or 37.

I'm not a Favre-hater, Marc, but while the Packers may gun for the wild card (concede the division to Minnesota when they crush Denver this weekend, please), the time is now or never to find his replacement and get his replacement at least a year in Favre's tutelage.

Dave
Old 10-18-2003, 07:31 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Marc,

Favre is like Marino inasmuch as he presses far too much when the team needs him to take a more relaxed approach. He takes the game on his shoulders, and while in his 20's he was able to make plays that mere mortals could never, he is no longer the Favre of 25/26. He's 34, as you point out. Elway got away from the pressing, and was obviously surrounded by great talent all over the field. Marino wasn't, and went down swinging, and it was ugly.

Whether Favre CAN be surrounded with enough talent to make a run of three-or-more years is highly questionable, and in my mind, doubtful. Don't forget to take these two things into account when measuring Favre's age: 1. He's played in more consecutive games than any QB in the modern era. That takes a toll. 2. He is a drug addict. He fought the battle and won so far, but that battle takes years off of lives. He may ONLY be 34, but he's really 36 or 37.

I'm not a Favre-hater, Marc, but while the Packers may gun for the wild card (concede the division to Minnesota when they crush Denver this weekend, please), the time is now or never to find his replacement and get his replacement at least a year in Favre's tutelage.

Dave
You're forgetting that the Packers have Ahman Green, who leads the NFC in touchdowns and yardage. That means Favre DOESN'T have to make spectacular plays for GB to win. Green is only 26 and has a good five years left on him. Look at Priest Holmes, he is 31 and still on top of his game.

Secondly, I am shocked to see you calling him a drug addict. Like he had a heroin problem or something? Please. He was addicted to painkillers SIX years ago, I fail to see how that has any affect on him right now. He is over it, and you should be, too.

One gauge is the velocity of his throws, and he is as strong as ever in that category. Granted, he can't scramble as well as he did, but he was NEVER a scrambler in the first place and that isn't his game, never was. He can still move well enough to make a play.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:45 PM   #14
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Secondly, I am shocked to see you calling him a drug addict. Like he had a heroin problem or something? Please. He was addicted to painkillers SIX years ago, I fail to see how that has any affect on him right now. He is over it, and you should be, too.
I don't think it's meant in a negative way. An addiction is always an addiction. It's never too far from the surface, whether it's one drink, one bet or one painkiller, it is a battle that can rage on for years. Think about it, everytime he's had a sore shoulder, a bum knee, a killing headache, he has to deal with, if nothing else, the thought of painkillers. That would take a toll on anyone, both mentally and physically.

Favre has appeared to trimuph over his painkiller addiction, which is a huge statement to his character, but it doesn't mean he is completely free from it.

Marc, I know you think very highly of Favre and with good reason, but sooner or later (although not necessarily now) you're going to have to concede the fact that he won't be the Packers quarterback forever. I think they have the talent to keep gunning for a playoff position for the next year or two, but Favre is not going to get "better". Playing that many games at the quarterback position without every taking a break does take a toll on a person.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:36 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:

One gauge is the velocity of his throws, and he is as strong as ever in that category. Granted, he can't scramble as well as he did, but he was NEVER a scrambler in the first place and that isn't his game, never was. He can still move well enough to make a play.
Noon covered the addict part. I'll take this.

WTF?!!! Of course he was a scrambler!!! Always has been, always will be. He has always had the ability and need to get out of the pocket, and most of his most incredible plays have come on the run. YES, he usually throws before crossing the line of scrimmage, but he's ALWAYS been mobile, which, in my mind, technically, makes him a scrambler.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote