Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 04-14-2004, 12:07 PM   #16
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Kornbix, you need to bring the "Braves Game Day Thread" so that you don't crap this thread up with Braves stuff. I am thinking the Orioles can win the division. Yankees are off to a slow start and the Yank's pitching sucks. The BJays arn't bad and will give us trouble. The real team we need to look out for is Boston. They should win the division, but the Orioles can do it. They are 3-4 and only 2 games back. All of the new off-season pick-ups are doing well. I think they could give the division a run.

Go O's
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:23 PM   #17
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Brian,

Couldn't agree more on Halladay and Schilling...

As for the Francona moves... well, everyone from Philly warns that there will be more than a couple moves he makes that will have Sox fans scratching their heads.

I actually somehow missed the seventh inning where Pedro was pulled for Foulke, and was working (to my grumbling discontent) when Jones entered the game on Sunday. At least he didn't let Jones walk the bases loaded...

Dave
Old 04-18-2004, 11:00 PM   #18
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

The Indians starters lead the American League in ERA...and we're three games under .500. We have the worst bullpen in baseball. Be glad you live somewhere besides here.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:29 PM   #19
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Dang we swept the marlins. It was close on Sunday though Gyrboski tried to give it up but Andruw's hustle won it.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:03 AM   #20
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

One thing about the Braves, they always find ways to win. Even when we think they are down and out (losing Glavine, Maddux, Sheffield...etc). They always win. But come post-season, unfortunately is a different story. I still think Bobby Cox is the best manager in the NL.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 02:23 PM   #21
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Yeah Post-season we stink it up as usal. Well we lost last night to the Reds. Our only friggin offense was Giles 2 run homer and Thomson deserved the win anyway for us.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:33 PM   #22
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

I guess I should add to this thread about the Royals getting swept by Minnesota and Chicago. We finally put up 15 against Cleveland yesterday and got a win and ended a 7 game skid. Hopefully they can get it going under Pena.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:14 AM   #23
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave

As for the Francona moves... well, everyone from Philly warns that there will be more than a couple moves he makes that will have Sox fans scratching their heads.
And vomit inducing moves. Francona is a bonehead.

Ugh, Phillies-Marlins in extra innings. God the Marlins piss me off. First the Phillies can't beat them. They blow a 5-1 lead. Wagner then gives up a homerun to make it 7-7. THEN Polanco hits it under the fence in left and Conine throws his ****ING HANDS IN THE AIR INSTEAD OF GRABBING THE BALL. Polanco comes around to score because he just kept running...as there is no ground rule in Philly's new park about the ball's under the ****ing fence...YET THEY SEND HIM BACK TO SECOND CALLING IT A GROUND RULE DOUBLE.

God damnit.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:23 PM   #24
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Dude we won last night in extras. I thought Reitsma gave it up in the 8th but Giles got the game tieng single with two outs. In the tenth Andruw hit a solo shot then Furcal a three run homer. Game. WOOOO. Hope the marlins lose.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:59 PM   #25
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Dude we lost in 5 to the Reds man. We got a big series coming up with the Marlins.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:15 AM   #26
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Guess who is 1st in the AL East... yeah that's right, the O's.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:57 AM   #27
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Great job by the O's and Mazzilli. I didn't know they would be this good with their suspect pitching. I think it will be a matter of time before Steinbrenner blows his top and the Yankees start booing ARod (oops, they did that in lastnight's game against Boston at the Stadium). The pitching as been inconsistent. Our bullpen has been great and besides the starting pitchers of Brown and Vazquez, the Yanks have been real inconsistent. I think it's time to send Contreras on a boat back to Cuba. I know Mussina will get back on track, but I wish he would stop whining like a cry baby. The Yanks need to go back to playing with fundamentals. Not like some kind of rock star band waiting for some big hit. If this kind of play continues till end of May, something is going to happen.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #28
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Well we won a big game in winning last night 7-2 over the Marlins. JD Drew got an inside the park grand slam. It was awesome.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:13 PM   #29
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

And, two days and a broom job in the Bronx later, the Os no longer rule the roost in the AL East.

That drubbing the Os took yesterday at the hands of the Jays should be a painful reminder that the Os prolly don't go deep enough in the rotation.

Of course, the Sox sweeping of the trash in dirty NYC also proved the Yankees' rotation isn't anywhere deep enough, either.

Gonna be tough for the rest of the AL East if Pedro has two starts like his last two for every start like his first and third.

The Sox are currently staring at rotation questions already, in a good way. BK Kim will be returning from the DL in about a week or sooner, but Arroyo has looked the supposed #2 Ace of NY in the eyes twice and failed to back down, gutting out a come from behind no-decision in Fenway and out-and-out outpitching Brown in the Bronx on Saturday.

Add to the rotation the fact that the bullpen has gone 24 2/3 innings without allowing a run, and limited the Yankees over the weekend to 1 hit in 11 innings over the weekend...

Pitching gets it done. It's early, obviously, but barring a bizarre turn of events in either the rotation or the bullpen (even losing Martinez won't be the show-stopper it's often been, with Schilling around and the starting rotation being six-deep), a great week or two over the upcoming schedule has the possibility of putting Tampa and Toronto under far sooner than expected, and leaving the Os wishing they could buy a Sox pitcher.

One expects that the Yanks will pull themselves right sooner rather than later, but with the starting rotation being all of one-deep at the moment (Mussina may be completely fried, Brown already has the look of a guy destined for the DL in May or early June, Contreras is not a starter, there is no fifth starter) with Vasquez, things don't look good. One would expect Georgie Porgie to start throwing dollars around, but at this juncture, there's no one willing to bite. Add to this the fact that the minors are nearly completely tapped in the Yankees' system, Steinbrenner's gotta be wondering just how much he has to spend in payroll to get the Bronx B-train rolling on schedule again.

If things continue on the rails they're running on for too much longer, Steinbrenner may not be able to buy his way out of this funk his team is in in time to make a difference.

And, should the team continue to look pitiful against good pitching, Brian Cashman will be hitting the streets by June 1. To say nothing of Mr Joe Torre.

Of course, this is all just Sox fan fantasizing.

Dave
Old 04-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #30
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kornbix
Well we won a big game in winning last night 7-2 over the Marlins. JD Drew got an inside the park grand slam. It was awesome.
Triple and an error actually. Either way it was a strange play. That balll took a weird bounce off the wall and then the sure-handed Castillo dropped it. If Drew hadn't hustled, he wouldn't have made it.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote