Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-02-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road
Default End of an Era?

12/22/02... the last time the New England Patriots lost a home game. at least until today anyway.

LT ripped the defense apart for 134 yds and 2 scores, extending his NFL record to 16 games in a row w/ a rushing TD. only the second back to run on the Pats for 100+ in the past 16 games and the most since the 2004 opener. they did not look like the Patroits we've grown used to see, especially at home.

Ty Law, Tedy Bruschi, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Rodney Harrison, Matt Light- all all key players or coaches and gone permanently or injuried this season.

can we finally say this is it for the Patriots? if so, how far do they fall? missing the playoffs, Super Bowl lose?
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Oh they'll be in the playoffs...That's for sure.

Super Bowl? I don't know. Bengals seem to be the feel-good story right now, how far can they carry that?

Anyways, the Patriots are a good team, they know how to win games when they need to and they will do so to get into the playoffs if necessary and then they'll win those playoff games (well, maybe )
Old 10-03-2005, 12:22 AM   #3
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I think the injury toll is starting to be too much for them. They looked totaly out classed by San Diego today. Can they still make the playoffs? yes, but if I had to put money on yes or no, it would be no right now.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:41 AM   #4
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

i say the Pats miss the playoffs. they have lost nearly everything- including pride after giving up the most points ever in Gillette Stadium. all those pieces and all that depth people used to say they have now is what is starting to be said about the Eagles.

Corey Dillion is putting up the touchdowns but thats it. 2.7 yards per carry for a lifetime 4.3 running back simply will not get the job done. game by game only 63, 36, 61, and 63 yards. he is coming off a career year but i don't see how things are going to get any better for him. he's been in a league for 9 seasons and is playing behind a busted up o-line.

this is going to cause the Pats to pass more and more then they are used to and that will not be to Tom Brady's benefit.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:44 AM   #5
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

SoCal sports is on a distinguished road

BDS, I cant believe you are calling Tomlinson LT(JUST KIDDING). At my job I picked the Chargers to take it all this year, thought it might have been a bad pick at first, but maybe not.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:46 AM   #6
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

Quote:
BDS, I cant believe you are calling Tomlinson LT(JUST KIDDING).
lol, im so glad that kid is gone. if it wasn't NY, it's wasn't any good.

Chargers sure look like a legit contender. there upcoming games vs Pittsburgh and @ Philly- major team that aren't plagued w/ injuries- will be their next tests.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #7
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

I woudn't consider the New England Patriots losing being the end of their era. They didn't even make the playoffs after their first SB win. I still would worry myself if I was opposing head coaches, even if the Patriots were 0-14, it is still Brady, Belichick (sp) and they still are the Patriots.

I saw the title to this thread, "End of an Era", and thought it was going to be something about Brett Favre....the sad thing is i don't even know if i am making a joke or not ??

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

no, it's not a joke. Brett Farve should hang it up.

the Packers, like the Cowboys and 49ers before them, have lost their magic. key players and coaches from their glory days are gone. they are headed into the same dark bottom of the division type of seasons those teams went through as they rebuild.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I would be so happy to finally see the Pats have a losing season.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:02 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The losses on defense are starting to hurt the Pats. They are playing without three of their best run defenders (Bruschi, Harrison, and Ted Johnson) from their Super Bowl years and it is starting to show. San Diego just flat out ran the ball down their throats and their was nothing the Pats could do to stop them.

The Chargers need to win against Pittsburgh if they want to be taken seriously as a contender. It is a home MNF game against a percieved contender in Pittsburgh.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #11
niners80
Sports Enthusiast

niners80 is on a distinguished road

As long as they have Tom Brady, they make the playoffs. Willie McGinest and Richard Seymore will further their leadership roles, and Belechick will rally the troops. I see an 10-6 record, and a #4 seed in the playoffs. As far as going anywhere in the playoffs, I think their secondary is too weak now with the loss of Harrison. This isn't the end of an era though, it is just unfortunate circumstances. They will re-load and continue to contend for years because they have the brain trust of owner Robert Craft, Scott Pioli, and Bill Belichick......these guys didn't win 3 titles by accident, they will be back. There's too many good people and too much character and pride in this organization to accept defeat. They are a true TEAM, and even though I'm not a fan of the Patriots, I still have the utmost respect for the organization.
niners80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #12
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

For the first time, Tom Brady is actually beginning to look human and...make mistakes (gasp).

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:16 AM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Read something interesting and convincing on Football Outsiders in defense of the Pats yesterday. How differently would we feel about the Pats if the loss to San Diego and the win over Pittsburgh had happened in the other order? We often apply a "You just won? You're great! You just lost? You suck!" mentality to good teams, especially when they play other good teams (and San Diego still qualifies as one). For MOST SB-winning teams, you will find a terrible, decisive loss on their regular season slate. The only reason this may be a different case is (as Doublee pointed out) is because of their injuries. But, I still think they are a major Super Bowl contender and a shoo-in for the playoffs.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #14
niners80
Sports Enthusiast

niners80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsong
no, it's not a joke. Brett Farve should hang it up.

the Packers, like the Cowboys and 49ers before them, have lost their magic. key players and coaches from their glory days are gone. they are headed into the same dark bottom of the division type of seasons those teams went through as they rebuild.

After the MNF game against Carolina, I agree that the Packers have lost the magic, but Brett Favre, no way.........theres not a tighter spiral in football, or a quarterback who is more determined. The guy throws harder off his back foot than half the quarterbacks in the NFL throw while they have their balance........Want proof........take a look at the highlights of that game and look at some of the missiles he threw in between 2 and 3DB's.........Keep pluggin Brett, just like ya said you would. Blackdog, I know I quote you a lot but you make some really good points and bring up some good topics........I agree with your analysis of how the Packers are at the point of rebuilding like the 49ers are going through and the Cowboys went through.....
niners80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #15
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

this is similar to my reponce to the Clinton Portis topic: it's a great player in a not-so-great system.

if i was Farve i'd just retire then play through the Packers freefall. he would never and should never play for another team, but that's the only way he'll ever be a winner again. so i think it's time to go.

however Farve is a man's man and, like you said, he can still launch a football as good as anyone so i don't think anyone, even Brett, really knows if this is it.