Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 06-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #106
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

*sigh* I remember the first time I heard Carlin. He was one of the ones who first got me questioning the way I was brought up. I will miss him.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #107
SportsKing
Rookie Player

SportsKing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I always thought that it was Sheldon Leonard (producer of AG) that did the whistling for the show. Leonard also played Ernest T. Bass in the series...a helluva role.
Actually, Howard Morris played Ernest T. Bass.

Leonard never appeared in the show.
SportsKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #108
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

excerpt:

Larry Harmon, longtime Bozo the Clown, dead at 83

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Larry Harmon, who appeared as Bozo the Clown for decades and licensed the name to other Bozos around the world, has died at age 83.

Harmon died Thursday at his home of congestive heart failure, his longtime publicist, Jerry Digney, told The Associated Press.

Although not the first person to play Bozo, Harmon took on the famous clown's persona and, as an entrepreneur, he licensed the character to others, particularly TV stations. Those stations then recruited their own Bozos for local shows.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #109
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I remember watching Bozo as a kid ... sad. RIP. :tsk:
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #110
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Never seen this one coming. But if you got to go what better way.

Skip Caray, with son Chip

Punch here
Old 08-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #111
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Bernie Mac dead at 50.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #112
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

This sucks. What a funny MF'er!
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #113
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Dr. Dre’s 20-year-old son found dead in L.A.
Toxicology results needed to determine cause of death for Andre Young Jr.

LOS ANGELES - Dr. Dre’s 20-year-old son has died, the rapper’s publicist said Tuesday.

“Dr. Dre is mourning the loss of his son Andre Young Jr.,” publicist Lori Earl said in a statement.

Young Jr., who was named after his father, was found dead Saturday by his mother at their home in suburban Woodland Hills, county coroner’s Lt. John Kades said.

An autopsy was performed Monday, but the cause of death wasn’t likely to be determined for eight weeks while toxicology tests are done, Kades said.

Just too young to go...

Sorry to hear, Dre

RIP
Old 08-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #114
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

I see we also missed:

Soul legend Isaac Hayes dies

(CNN) -- Soul singer and arranger Isaac Hayes, who won Grammy awards and an Oscar for the theme from the 1971 action film "Shaft," has died, sheriff's officials in Memphis, Tennessee, reported Sunday.

Relatives found Hayes, 65, unconscious in his home next to a still-running treadmill, said Steve Shular, a spokesman for the Shelby County Sheriff's Department.

Paramedics attempted to revive him and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 2 p.m., the sheriff's department said.

No foul play is suspected, the agency said in a written statement.

Hayes was a longtime songwriter and arranger for Stax Records in Memphis, playing in the studio's backup band and crafting tunes for artists such as Otis Redding and Sam and Dave in the 1960s.

He released his first solo album in 1967, and his 1969 follow-up, "Hot Buttered Soul," became a platinum hit.

In 1971, the theme from "Shaft" topped the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks and won an Academy Award for best original theme song. The song and the movie score also won Grammy awards for best original score and movie theme.

Hayes won a third Grammy for pop instrumental performance with the title track to his 1972 "Black Moses" album.

From the late 1990s through 2006, Hayes provided the voice of "Chef" for Comedy Central's raunchy animated series "South Park," as well as numerous songs.

The role introduced him to a new generation of fans, but he left after the show lampooned his own religion, the Church of Scientology.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. In a CNN interview at the time, Hayes credited his success to "adjusting and constantly evolving, expanding and trying to stay as young as I can."

The new generation of popular musicians, he said, "could use a little more substance like we had in the day."

"They're standing on our shoulders. Some of them don't realize [it] because they sample me so much," he said.

Hayes credited his role on "South Park" with expanding his fan base, and said that he had almost passed on the job.

"I started to walk out. I thought it was a Disney thing. I [had] never heard of this thing," he said. But his agent persuaded him to tape some episodes.

"Toward the opening I started having trepidations -- 'Oh my god, what have I done? I've ruined my career.' But when it aired, the ratings went through the roof," he said.
advertisement

A 1992 visit to the royal family in Ghana was a life-changing experience for Hayes, he said.

"I went back on speaking engagements and encouraged African-Americans to go to Africa [to] interact socially, culturally and/or economically," he said.

RIP, Isaac
Old 09-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #115
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Singer-actor Jerry Reed dies at the age of 71

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Jerry Reed, a singer who appeared in the "Smokey and the Bandit" movies, has died of complications from emphysema at age 71, his longtime booking agent said Tuesday.

Carrie Moore-Reed, who is no relation to the star, said Reed died early Monday morning.

Reed was a gifted guitarist who later became a songwriter, singer and actor.

As a singer in the 1970s and early 1980s, he had a string of hits that included "Amos Moses," "When You're Hot, You're Hot," "East Bound and Down," and "The Bird."

In the mid-1970s, he began acting in movies such as "Smokey and the Bandit" with Burt Reynolds, "Gator" "Hot Stuff" and "High-Ballin'."

RIP, Jerry...
Old 09-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #116
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Don LaFontaine: Movie Trailer Voice Dies at 68

Voiceover Master Don LaFontaine has died. He was 68.

LaFontaine, known as the "King of Voiceovers," died Monday afternoon at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. LaFontaine's agent, Vanessa Gilbert, tells ET that he passed away following complications from Pneumothorax, the presence of air or gas in the pleural cavity, the result of a collapsed lung. The official cause of death has not yet been released.

Over the past 25 years, LaFontaine cemented his position as the "King of Voiceovers." Aside from being the preeminent voice in the movie trailer industry, Don also worked as the voice of Entertainment Tonight and The Insider, as well as for CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and UPN, in addition to TNT, TBS and the Cartoon Network. By conservative estimates, he voiced hundreds of thousands of television and radio spots, including commercials for Chevrolet, Pontiac, Ford, Budweiser, McDonalds, Coke, and many other corporate sponsors.

He recently parodied himself on a series of national television commercials for Geico. At last count, he has worked on nearly 5000 films, including appearances as the in-show announcer for the Screen Actors Guild and Academy Awards. Based on contracts signed, he has the distinction of being perhaps the single busiest actor in the history of SAG.

& yet another icon

RIP, Don...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #117
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

"Peanuts" animator Bill Melendez dies

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Bill Melendez, best known for bringing the Peanuts characters to life with such classics as "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," died Tuesday at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica. He was 91.

Melendez, the only animator permitted by Charles M. Schulz to work with the Peanuts characters, earned eight Emmy Awards, 17 Emmy nominations, one Oscar nomination and two Peabody Awards.

Melendez went on to bring Charlie Brown and his pals to the screen in more than 63 half-hour specials, five one-hour specials, four feature films and more than 372 commercials. In addition to perennial favorites "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (1965) and "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" (1966), Melendez produced the Oscar-nominated "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" (1971), "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" (1973), "She's a Good Skate, Charlie Brown" (1980) and "You're a Good Sport, Charlie Brown" (1975). He also provided the voices for Snoopy and Woodstock through the years.

YAHOO! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080903/tv_nm/melendez_dc

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" is a must see for me every year. R.I.P. to the voice behind the memories...

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:54 AM   #118
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

excerpt:

Pink Floyd member Richard Wright dies at age 65

LONDON (AP) -- A Pink Floyd spokesman says founding member Richard Wright has died. He was 65.

Wright died Monday after a battle with cancer at his home in Britain. His family did not want to give more details about his death. The spokesman is Doug Wright, who is not related to the artist.

Richard Wright met Pink Floyd members Roger Waters and Nick Mason at college and joined their early band Sigma 6.

Sigma 6 eventually became Pink Floyd and Wright wrote and sang some of the band's key songs. He wrote "The Great Gig In The Sky" and "Us And Them" from Pink Floyd's 1973 "The Dark Side of the Moon."

Damn....

RIP, Richard
Old 09-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #119
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

God Damn Mother****er...

The younguns here won't know but this is a cryin' shame. He's was the best.

RIP, Butch

excerpt:

Acting legend Paul Newman dies at 83
Spokeswoman says screen icon succumbed to cancer

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - A spokeswoman for screen legend Paul Newman said Saturday that the actor had died at age 83.

Spokeswoman Marni Tomljanovic said Newman died Friday of cancer. No other details were immediately available.

Newman was nominated for Academy Awards 10 times, winning a regular Oscar in 1987 for "The Color of Money" and two honorary ones. He was equally at home in comedies such as "The Sting" and dramas such as "Hud."

Old 09-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #120
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
God Damn Mother****er...

The younguns here won't know but this is a cryin' shame. He's was the best.

RIP, Butch

excerpt:

Acting legend Paul Newman dies at 83
Spokeswoman says screen icon succumbed to cancer

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - A spokeswoman for screen legend Paul Newman said Saturday that the actor had died at age 83.

Spokeswoman Marni Tomljanovic said Newman died Friday of cancer. No other details were immediately available.

Newman was nominated for Academy Awards 10 times, winning a regular Oscar in 1987 for "The Color of Money" and two honorary ones. He was equally at home in comedies such as "The Sting" and dramas such as "Hud."

Try showing some class and a little respect by not using your gutter slang. I think we can do without that smut in this forum. People come here for news on loss of those well known and we get the lyrics of a rap song from you.