Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-27-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default "Best" chance for a 0-16 record?

This should be a interesting thread, which of the three current BAD teams in the NFL have the "best" chance to finish with a 0-16 record? Miami, San Francisco or Arizona. The only other current winless teams are Kansas City (0-3), Tampa Bay (0-3), and Buffalo (0-2) ... but nobody expects either one of them to seriously go winless all year.

Everything leads towards Miami, because at least the 49ers and Cards can beat up on each other twice. The Niners are horrendous though, they'll just get crushed all year, and I see Arizona winning at least 2 or 3 games. Who get's everyone else's vote?
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
Erickson
Feed Your Niner Addiction

Erickson is on a distinguished road

How can you say the Niners will get crushed all year. The first two games they came close to winning. Yes they got the crap beat out of them yesterday. But this was also without their starting QB, DE, CB, LT, RG, not to mention one of their good young WR's sidelined, and not being able to run the ball yesterday. Niners will not be getting crushed to many more games.

"Now that's a REAL shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."
Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

I think Miami ...... a good TE and a couple of good WR but no QB to get them the ball. Also, nobody knows who the RB or the QB willl be from week to week. That's just plan irresponsible on Miami's part. They need to name starters and stick with them.

Otherwise it will be different sets of players scrimmaging with one another and in a real NFL game against prepared opponents ..... well it could get ugly for the Fish.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:48 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Miami may as well convert Minor to reciever and play with two TEs and three WRs and scrap running the ball altogether. Just drop back and see how far the QB can throw the ball. Can't be any worse than what they have tried so far.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I like doublee's idea for Miami, actually. I like it a lot.

In time, Feely will be benched, and Fiedler will win a couple games. And he'll do it because he can.

'Zona could have won both of their away games, but made too many mistakes to come away with a win in either. They'll get by somebody, if no one else, San Fran.

San Francisco, imo, sorry Erickson, is currently an incredibly sorry excuse for an NFL franchise. If it's not enough that they sent away their best two offensive players (and I think pretty lowly of Garcia), offended their best football player period (Julian Peterson) to the point that he won't return when the option arises (next offseason, right--his deal was a one year, wasn't it?), they have injuries I would only wish on Dallas or Oakland, they have an all new coaching staff after the top guy, and the top guy is completely inept (this is proven fact, folks) at coaching a professional football team...

All I have to say is that John York is getting his just desserts for manipulating the coach-search guidelines to appear that he gave a damn about hiring a minority for the spot when he knew all along he was going to hire some complete idiot (who was not a minority).

Someone desperately needs to buy out York's interest in the 49ers so I can respect them again. And while we're at it, it's probably time someone bought out the Bidwells. Perhaps the NFL could consider doing for Arizona what MLB did for Montreal, just to save a sinking franchise.

Dave

Last edited by MountaineerDave; 09-27-2004 at 07:00 PM.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The Niners will live to rue the day they ran Mooch out of town. Even though they got trashed by the Eagles at home yesterday I still like what the Lions are doing. They have done a solid job in drafting some good young talent while bringing in the right mix of veterans who still have some life left in them. Mooch seems to be able to attract some decent free agents. I thought Harrington held his own against Philly's relentless pass rush yesterday. He just needs to learn to find someone other than Williams. The comparisons of Roy Williams to T. O. and David Boston are apt, hopefully he won't develop the ego to go with it.

Dennis Erickson has no business being on an NFL sideline. The guy is a good college coach but he is just not an NFL coach. I cringed when they passed on Dennis Green for this guy. The day Erickson was hired I knew this team was headed for the crapper in a matter of a year or two.

Yes, Peterson is a free agent after this season again he signed the one year tender offer given him as the Franchise player. But, something tells me they will just slap him with it again after ther season.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:42 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Roy Williams. Wow.

I mean, wow. He was brilliant yesterday. If Harrington were better (and I fear that he may have hit his ceiling, but we'll see), the Lions might have hung a little tougher.

The Lions D didn't really have much of an answer for the Eagles offense, though. Not surprising, but a little disappointing.

Dave
Old 09-27-2004, 07:56 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Nobody has had an answer for the Eagles offense as of yet they are really clicking right now. In Harrington's defense the Eagles did do a pretty good job of not letting anyone else get open yesterday. They just could not find an answer for Williams. Plus, the Lions still are not running the ball effectively. A good running game is a young QBs best friend out there. Until the Lions get the running game going teams are just going keep blitzing Harrington and force him to unload the ball.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:01 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Good point on the running game.
Nobody's run on the Eagles yet. Why was Anthony concerned that Trotter's not starting was a deficiency?

Of course, it could be that the Eagles have yet to face anyone who can run very well. The Vikes can/could, but didn't. (This still bothers me. Culpepper's much better when his back's moving the ball downfield every other play or two.)

Dave
Old 09-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, the Giants did a decent job running the ball on Philly in week one. Even before Barber's 70-yarder they were at 100 yards for the game. But, other than that the Eagles D has done a decent job against the run. The Vikes did not even really bother and only got 78 yards, mostly from Culpepper scrambles, and the Lions only had 77 yards. But, some of this may have something to do with the fact that Philly had big leads by the half against Detroit and New York. It is still a lot better than the 129 they were giving up last year though.

The Vikes can run the ball when they choose to do so. They were fourth in the league in rushing last year. But, watching the halftime feature with Mike Tice he seemed to have it in his head that he was going to torch the Eagles young corners in that game. Leads me to believe he game planned to throw the ball 40 times that game.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Good point on the running game.
Nobody's run on the Eagles yet. Why was Anthony concerned that Trotter's not starting was a deficiency?

Of course, it could be that the Eagles have yet to face anyone who can run very well. The Vikes can/could, but didn't. (This still bothers me. Culpepper's much better when his back's moving the ball downfield every other play or two.)

Dave

Tom Jackson - or at least I think that's who it was - touched on this issue on ESPN Sunday morning: With T.O. enabling the Eagles to jump out to big leads early, opponents now have to throw more against the Eagles (this is why the Rams have ranked high against the run in most of the past five years even though their DL and LBs haven't been especially big).

If the season ended today, T.O. would be the undisputed league MVP - no one else would even come close.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:58 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know I think I would vote for Donovan, but that is just me.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony

If the season ended today, T.O. would be the undisputed league MVP - no one else would even come close.
Two things: Good thing the season doesn't end today.
Also, I don't think that's the case. He'd be close, but I think Manning would win it because the media loves to roll around in Manning's tight football pants whenever the opportunity arises.

Dave
Old 09-28-2004, 02:54 AM   #14
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

After three games last year - without T.O. - McNabb had the lowest passer rating in the NFL; after three games this year - with T.O. - he has the third highest passer rating in the NFL.

But back to the original topic of the thread: Isn't it interesting how all the currently winless teams have multiple games against each other yet to play? Buffalo vs. Miami twice, Arizona vs. San Francisco twice, plus both Buffalo and Miami play both Arizona and San Francisco, and Kansas City and Tampa Bay also play each other, as do Tampa Bay and both Arizona and San Francisco.

So at least it will get decided on the field!

Last edited by Anthony; 09-28-2004 at 03:03 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:00 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I don't think we will see a 0-16 team anytime soon with the current parity-ridden NFL. Maybe if you combine parts of two winless teams, we could get an All-Sucktacular team. I'm thinking the Bucs' offense fits in there somewhere. They are just horrible, and old man Tim Brown is a starting receiver, that says it all. How come so many teams have such crappy WRs? The Chiefs, Bucs, Chargers, the list goes on ...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote