Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: When is the Pats streak gonna end
This week 0 0%
vs. Eagles 0 0%
Sometime this season 1 33.33%
In Playoffs 0 0%
Super Bowl 1 33.33%
Next season 1 33.33%
Never 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road
Default Patriots

When is their streak gonna end? I think the can be a repeat of the perfect Dolphins
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 03:18 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think they will stumble this season, either to the Steelers, Chiefs, or Ravens, IMO. At some point, if not already, the streak will become more of a distraction than a positive thing.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

The Eagles don't play the Pats this season, not sure why that's on your poll?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I guessed the Super Bowl but to be honest, if New England makes it to the Super Bowl I will pick them to win. I haven't picked a correct Super Bowl winner since Super Bowl XXXI (Packers over Patriots).

XXXII- Packers
XXXIII- Falcons
XXXIV- Titans
XXXV- Giants
XXXVI- Rams
XXXVII- Raiders
XXXVIII- Panthers

O fer 7. Ouch.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:13 PM   #5
duke baseball
Rookie Player

duke baseball is on a distinguished road
Talking Pittsburgh Steelers victory over Patriots

How strong did the Steelers look? They physically mandhandled the Patriots (-1 yard rushing through nearly three quarters even without Casey Hampton) How bad is this loss for the Patriots? Can it be a measure for them even playing with Corey Dillon and Ty Law? Is there anyone who has doubts about Ben Roethlisberger? He did not look flustered at all during the game. That said, are the Steelers legitimate contenders for a Super Bowl even with this rookie quarterback?
duke baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:16 PM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Could be a big one for the Steelers. They are now one of the teams to beat in their division. Bill Cowher always seems to have them playing tough defense, and now he has some decent players on offense as well.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:45 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Not to take anything away from the Steelers as yes they did do what they had to do. But, the lack of a running game was due in large part to the fact that the Pats fell behind by so much so quickly that they were relegated to throwing the ball almost exculsively after the first quarter. They only ran the ball six times so that is not enough to gauge whether the Steelers were really shutting down the run. But, chances are the Pats would not have run the ball very well anyway as Kevin Faulk has already shown us that he is nothing more than a change of pace 10-15 touch a game back whereas Dillon is the horse in the backfield that gets it 20+ times a game.

Of course, Ben looks good as the Steelers are putting him in situations where he cannot fail. I have always said in the past a good running game is a rookie QB's best friend. It helps when your backs are popping 4.5 yards a carry and your throwing on second and third and short to go. He has only thrown for more than 200 yards in one game thus far. I'd be curious to see how he would fare in a game where the running game is not clicking and the Steelers have to throw the ball to catch up.

Bottom line though the Steelers protected the ball and the Pats did not. You cannot beat a good team in the NFL when you lost the TO battle 4-0.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:47 AM   #8
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

Great win for the Steelers. I guess if it was going to end for the Pats, this was the one that you figured they'd fall.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:04 AM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Uh.... how 'bout Sunday?

Dave
Old 11-01-2004, 02:16 AM   #10
duke baseball
Rookie Player

As good as Ben Roethlisberger, its clear to me that the key to the team is Duce Staley. But what about Roethlisberger's performance in the fourth quarter of the Cowboys game last week. The Steelers played catch up in that game if im not mistaken. His poise in the face of heavy rush proves that he could have the ability to lead the Steelers to greatness during his time in Pittsburgh. On the other side, Brady looked scared in the pocket. Yes, there was a rush, but what about his two super bowl mvps. This did not look like the Brady we are used to seeing on a weekly basis. Dont forget about his performance against NY Jets. I believe it was something like 76 yards passing and a couple int's, correct me if im wrong. Roethlisberger made good things happen on first down as well doublee, and also completed some huge third down and long passes. Is he not playing like a seasoned vet/pro bowler?
Old 11-01-2004, 02:20 AM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Well, doublee, next week should be a nice measure of just where Roethlisberger is, since the potential of the running game being taken away by the Eagles is pretty great.

Dillon's absence definitely hurt the Pats, but give the Steelers some credit for not letting Brady torch them from start to finish, as he's been able to do from time to time. They sacked him, they harrassed him, they intercepted him (Taylor's pick was a fantastic play that couldn't be pinned on Brady so much, but the INT-for-TD was all Brady). They were able to disrespect the running game, but I think that Dillon's being out didn't really affect the Pats game plan. They would have attempted to spread out the Steelers D in a hope that they could set up the run with the pass.

Being down early changed the precise run-pass ratio, but I don't think it really changed it that much.

Dave
Old 11-01-2004, 11:23 AM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

This was my first game I got to see since I got my free tix Dave. Kind of ticked off it was a blowout, considering I don't favor any team really. I was rooting for the Steelers though, to stop an undefeated team. Next week, I'll have extra incentive to cheer for Pittsburgh, when they take on another undefeated, plus it will be Big Ben ( pocket QB aka...REAL QB) vs. McNabb ( the overhyped phoney running QB).

Insight requested cause I'm not to familiar with the NFL as I used to be to Dave and anyone else...

How the hell are Pittsburgh's lines so much better this year than last year? I don't believe they had much turnover from last years' squad.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:41 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

They don't have any turnover, actually, which was how they were able to be better. Last year, the Stillers had folks starting out of position, starting when they're subs, etc., due to health issues at nearly every position.

Everyone's been healthy this year.

It was actually incredible to see the manhandling the Stillers' O line did to the Pats D. Great to see. And they kept Roethlisberger mostly clean.

But the O line is doing the job right when the Bus can run for 8 yards on a running down. Great stuff!

Dave
Old 11-01-2004, 05:53 PM   #14
duke baseball
Rookie Player

What makes the potential for the running game being taken away by the Eagles MountaineerDave? I can imagine you saying that before this past week, but not after their performance in the running game against the patriots. staley averaged 5 yards a pop. bettis was also very productive. Health and the addition of Duce Staley have been the key for the O-Line. Last season, All-Pro Alan Faneca was forced to play out of position, and Marvel Smith was hurt for the majority of the season. The addition of Staley has been monumental. His ability to hit the hole with the speed he does has been tremendous. It pains me to say it, but Jerome is just to slow to be a feature back in the league anymore. He's great for the position he's playing right now. If you've watched the games, the O-Line looks much stronger with Duce in the game.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:35 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
McNabb ( the overhyped phoney running QB).
Two things...

1. Where is the OVER hype at for McNabb?

2. Calling him a running QB is ridiculous. He hasn't been a running QB for a couple of years now. He runs in the same way that a John Elway would run. When he needs to and when the chance comes about.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote