Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 09-22-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Turning up the Heat

Well, it was announced earlier on ESPN.com that the Heat are 99% through finalizing a contract deal with PG Gary Payton. It is clearly obvious that this is yet another attempt for GP to get himself onto a winning team and try to win a NBA Championship. GP was a terrific player back with Seattle and is now just simply a good player. I think GP and The Mailman lost sight towards the end of their careers when they both signed with the Lakers on the "gurantee" of winning a NBA Title.

However, don't get me wrong. GP is just the thing that the Heat needed. He now helps solidify the bench more than ever. If GP would have been in the Eastern Conference Finals last season all the times Wade was injured, then I would have taken the Heat over the Pistons.

All in all, another terrific pick-up for the Heat organization
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

SoCal sports is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I dont see anybody, especially in the east having a chance against Miami. I would favor Miami over anybody in the west as well but I would give the Spurs and Suns a chance. Wade has quickly become on of my favorites, maybe they will trade him to the Lakers for Kobe, I can dream.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

wow a laker fan that doesn't like Kobe? Or do you think that Wade is better than Kobe? I'm not bashing you or anything, i just think it's weird that a Laker fan would want to trade away Kobe?

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Titans100 you may find one or two other Lakers' fans not overly enamored with Kobe as well.

Good pickup for the Heat. Payton can still give you 20-25 good minutes a night and I would rather have him closing out games at the point than Jason Williams.

I still give the edge to the Spurs though. Finley, Barry, Van Exel, Parker, Manu, and Udrih give them so much more verstatility on the perimeter than anyone else can put on the floor right now.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:38 PM   #5
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Heat vs Spurs the whole way. but Spurs are still my pick. Finley was a great pickup.

But Payton ensures the Heats have a legit point guard (or two) on the floor at all times.

something the Pistons sure could use. last season Lindsey Hunter was a bit suspect. have they made any moves?
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

No they haven't, but the experts think that if and when Delfino and Arroyo mature they can be stars in the league. If Arroyo gets his head out of his butt he has shown that he can be a quality NBA PG.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I'm not enamored by Payton anymore, so this doesn't impress me. Frankly, it seems like the Heat are going after big names more than guys who can help them win. Look how far L.A. got with Payton. The Glove is more like a the Fish Net nowadays.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, a lot of that had to do with Kobe and not how productive he could be. There was a double standard of sorts when it came to Kobe and Payton. Kobe did whatever he wanted on the floor, but if Payton strayed from Phil's offense he got benched and chewed out. Gary felt disrespected by Jackson so, he did what most tempremental stars due in that situation he packed it in and quit trying. Payton showed last year in Boston that he can still help a team win. Besides, it is not as if they are bringing him in to be the primary backcourt player.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:50 PM   #9
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Just 4 years ago, Payton was still listed as a top 5 PG. Damn . A lot can change in 4 years
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:03 AM   #10
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Titans100
wow a laker fan that doesn't like Kobe? Or do you think that Wade is better than Kobe? I'm not bashing you or anything, i just think it's weird that a Laker fan would want to trade away Kobe?

I liked Kobe before all the junk started, but since then he has shown me that he is pretty selfish and basically cares about only himself. While some people dont care much about the intangibles they are very important to me. I think Wade has one of the best attitudes in the NBA and can already lead by example at such a young age. I also think that Wades attitude makes him more valuable to his team than Kobe. Kobe I think has more natural talent but is really struggling with how to use it at this point. Most people might disagree but I would trade Kobe for Wade anyday, at least at this point.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #11
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

So who is the starting PG in Miami? Williams or Payton?
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:47 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Mike, I am anticipating a situation similar to Stoudamire/Anthony in Portland several years ago where Stoudamire go the bulk of the minutes and Anthony played in crunch time and closed games.

I think Williams probably starts the majority of the time with Payton getting the crunch time minutes and Payton possibly drawing starts when he matches up better against the opposing team's PG.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #13
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I'm not enamored by Payton anymore, so this doesn't impress me. Frankly, it seems like the Heat are going after big names more than guys who can help them win. Look how far L.A. got with Payton. The Glove is more like a the Fish Net nowadays.
I pretty much agree with that. Now granted he had issues in LA, but even when it was obvious he was playing his best, his age still showed. You could tell he was really trying against Tony Parker but Parker just ran circles around him.

I should make a funny comic about GP riding Shaq's coattails... :lol:
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #14
japardo

Kobe for Wade? You gotta be kidding. Sure, Kobe has his issues here and there, but you don't think that Shaq had anything to do with it? I am a huge Shaq fan, and Kobe. But Shaq had nowhere near the same attitude with Wade as he had with Kobe. When Shaq and Kobe played together, Shaq was in his prime and threatened by Kobe to be the #1 guy. Years later in Miami, Shaq is established even more, and there was no way, even if he wanted, that Wade could threatens Shaqs status as the number 1 guy!! Plus Shaq knows he's slowed down a little, so he has DIGRESSED to Wade. If he had the same attitude with the Lakers, they might still be together. Granted Kobe can be selfish, but at times he had to be. Shaq dominated for 3.5 quarters, but Kobe was EXPECTED to be the man down the stretch becasue of Shaqs free throw problems. Hard to be the man in the 4th quarter, and not allowed to be the man the whole game. Give and take. Shaq does it now in Miami, but not in LA!!! Kobe has the talent and drive to be the next Jordan. While Wade is awesome, Kobe has certin intangiblers, that Wade doesnt, at least yet. That could change, but I think this year, we will see the true Kobe
Old 10-01-2005, 05:13 AM   #15
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

I sure hope we see a better Kobe. I think that Wade makes the players around him better, while Kobe makes the players around him lazy. I would still trade Kobe for Wade. As far as Kobe and Shaq fighting over who the go to guy is that just proves my point, its not an issue with Wade. He cares about winning first and his own stats last.