Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 10-03-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road
Default skippers out of work

Detroit Tigers- Manager Alan Trammell fired after finishing 28 games out of first. 184-302 record in three seasons.

Florida Marlins- Manager Jack McKeon "resigns" after failing to lead baseballs most improved and hyped team going into the season to the playoffs. he did lead the Marlins to 3 of the Marlins 4 winning season, including a World Series victory, since he joined the team in 2003.

i'm sure more heads will be rolling in the upcoming in the upcoming weeks a head.

Trammell had to see his pink slip coming for a while now. the Tigers made a lot of improvements but he could never get them firing on all cylinders.

McKean clearly lost his control of his clubhouse and was openly critized by several players. he cost the Marlins any chance at resigning AJ Burrett this offseason, who is headed into the prime of his career got sent home early. Miguel Cabrera stopped shagging flyballs in batting practice for a two month period and would talk w/ buddies on the bench. he also skipped out for medical treament after fouling a ball off his knee.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

I think that Jack McKeon's demise in Florida is not his fault. He lost the players respect. Listening to Mike and Mike in the morning this morning they had on Mike Ditka. They explained that the youth of the Marlins was their demise because these younger and richer players don't respond well to being yelled at or benched. It was actually a very good segment.

McKeon "resigning" was not his fault, it was the young players around him.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Its too bad about Trammel. He lost control of the team and guys like Dmitri Young and Ivan Rodriguez decided to run things the way they wanted to. What a shame for something this bad to happen to a good guy like him. He should have started his managerial career in the minors. The majors are not an entry level job.
McKeon is a bit old and wears his welcome out quickly wherever he goes. He does a great job for a year or 2 and starts "grating" on his players. Time to hang 'em up, Jack. You were a good manager.
Lou Pinella is also done in Tampa. Will Bell last in KC? How about Dusty in Chicago?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

SoCal sports is on a distinguished road

Trammel is one of the best people in baseball. He had a young pitching staff and Ordonez was hurt most the year. I think it is a mistake for the Tigers not to keep Trammel. I think catman hit the nail on the head with Mckeon, he is an old fashioned coach and his style of coaching only works for a short time with the spoiled players of today. I am very anxious to see were Piniella ends up, if anywhere this next season.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Jim Leyland is rumored to be the top choice to replace Trammell. They had a guy from Baseball America, Alan Matthews I think his name was, on talk radio today and he said not to be surprised if Jim Tracy's name pops up as a possible choice for both Florida teams. It has been rumored for a while that DePodesta would make Tracy the fall guy for the Dodgers' failures.

I have also heard that Joe Girardi is a top choice for one of the FLA jobs as well.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I think Trammel will be back as a manager somewhere soon. Perhaps in the Tigers' farm system?
Joe Girardi would be a good choice to manage either of the Florida teams, with emphasis on the D'Rays. He has been in the AL most of his career and knows how that league works. To change leagues would be difficult, but doable. Has anyone else noticed that former catchers make decent managers?

Catman
Old 10-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, ESPN is reporting that Leyland has been hired in Detroit and Jim Tracy is out in L. A. which proves even further that the Dodgers have no clue what they are doing these days. Tracy will land another job if he wants it.

I am wondering if and when Jose Oquendo is going to get a chance to manage a team. LaRussa credits Oquendo as much as anyone for the Cards' success.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Surprised that Tracy was fired. Hey, i know. I'll trade my clubhouse leaders away for guys with attitude issues, then i'll blame the manager for not weathering chemistry problems. Honestly though, the real issue was Gagne getting injured and before that being ineffective-- he was the difference between a winning club and a losing club the last couple seasons.

Glad that the Tigers hired the computer with a moustache, Jim Leyland. Who can't get along with a computer? That guy's the anti-McKeon, pays no attention to his gut and always plays the averages. I think that'll suit the improving Tigers fine.

Tigers were unwise to pair a rookie bench coach (Gibson) with an inexperienced manager (Trammell) in the first place, though they did shake that up in midseason. This is a young team that needs a steadier hand.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:56 PM   #9
Billy D
Alternative View

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
I am wondering if and when Jose Oquendo is going to get a chance to manage a team. LaRussa credits Oquendo as much as anyone for the Cards' success.
First I want LaRussa to have Oqendo be the bench coach, pitching coach, bullpen coach, 1st base coach, 3rd base coach, and strength coach all during a single game. That would be awesome.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:40 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I am not surprised Tracy is gone. The only reason they brought him back this year was because they managed to make the playoffs despite upper management's best efforts to sabotage the season last year. Gagne was only one of many reasons the Dodgers flamed out this year. They pissed away 50 mil on J. D. Drew who has never been able to put together two seasons where he stayed relatively healthy. They move Shawn Green who is typically healthy and had a solid year for Arizona to make room for Drew. They never found a suitable replacement for Adrian Beltre. Milton Bradley missed half the season due to injury. Cesar Izturis missed a third of the season due to injury. Gagne was just the tip of the iceberg when it came to injuries for the Dodgers this year.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #11
Billy D
Alternative View

... but certainly the manager was way down the list of problems. I think Tracy was fine
Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

He was but DePodesto never really wanted him around in the first place. He inherited Tracy as a manager and had completely different philosophies on how to build a team.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:50 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, Oakland now has a vacancy as Ken Macha was cut loose. Given how well he did with a young Oakland team this year anyone see him ending up in Pittsburgh or Tampa? I believe his offseason home is in Pittsburgh.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:56 PM   #14
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I would love to see him with the Pirates. They also have a bunch of young talent, and theyre my 2nd favorite MLB team behind the Yanks.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:57 PM   #15
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Macha did a good job with the players he had in Oakland. Down the stretch, his 3 biggest players were rookies Johnson, Swisher and Street. No one can expect more out of those guys than he got. Losing Crosby during the stretch run did not help the A's chances.
The A's job is not a "plum" job, but they should get some interest from those available candidates.
Also, DePodesto had better win with the Dodgers or his job is going to be history there. He ran a decent guy, Jim Tracy, out of town.

Catman