Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 10-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default How much longer before USC slips?

The score may not reflect it, but Arizona gave the Trojans all they wanted and then some. They can't keep playing so lackadasical (sp?) in the 1st half and expect to win games. Maybe not next week vs the Irish, but I bet UCLA and Cal are both salivating right now thinking they may only get USC's best game for 1 half of their respective games.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:56 PM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

They won't. See my previous college basketball comparison, where the goliaths frequently have a game at halftime only to take it over in the second half....the only difference between this game and the previous two is this one was at home.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:59 PM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I don't know. I agreed with what you're saying completely when you said it before the Arizona game, Kevin, but USC just doesn't look good, man. That is a dreadful football team that played with them. Pretty much most of the way...in USC. I'm not sure if I disagree with you yet, but I'm definitely watching a lot closer.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #4
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

USC just has to play a team that can take advantage of their hurting defense while containing the lethal USC offense. USC is giving up a good amount of points to mediocre Pac 10 teams, but they are also racking up a good amount.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:19 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Can't help but wonder if USC is playing down to its competition just a bit.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:18 AM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

NY Jay is correct in his analysis that someone has to take advantage of Southern Cal's bad defense while containing the potent offense. The only problem is Arizona has the best defense (and by far) that the Trojans will see all year. Cal and UCLA went crazy on each other today (and Cal probably has the better overall D and blew it in the 4th). Notre Dame's secondary is still suspect...VERY suspect if you ask me.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:38 AM   #7
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

SoCal sports is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say thanks for mentioning UCLA. Our defense is pretty bad right now though. I think my Bruins have gotten a little lucky the last couple weeks. Right now every game on the Bruins schedule scares me.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
NY Jay is correct in his analysis that someone has to take advantage of Southern Cal's bad defense while containing the potent offense. The only problem is Arizona has the best defense (and by far) that the Trojans will see all year. Cal and UCLA went crazy on each other today (and Cal probably has the better overall D and blew it in the 4th). Notre Dame's secondary is still suspect...VERY suspect if you ask me.
Yeah, I think Leinart may have a field day w/the Irish defense. Of course, if notre Dame does pull it out, every one is gonna be all over Weis' jock proclaiming him as the best coach ever.

doublee brought up the point of USC playing down to the competition a bit, what about this. Maybe they were looking by Arizona to the Irish. All anyone talked about last weekend after the Az State game was how they had Notre Dame in 2 weeks. I thought to myself, "don't they still have a game before that?"
Old 10-09-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Dublin Mike
Yeah, I think Leinart may have a field day w/the Irish defense. Of course, if notre Dame does pull it out, every one is gonna be all over Weis' jock proclaiming him as the best coach ever.
C'mon Mike, get over that Notre Dame hatered. lol Of course they'll be all over Weis' jock if they upset the best team in the country, it's only natural. USC' ground game has been awsome the last two weeks.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Weis and Quinn might have a field day with the Trojan defense, though. I think that's the thing with this USC team that makes them beatable. The defense is not all that good compared to other years. Arizona's QB had his best game so far this season against USC.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #11
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimpbot
C'mon Mike, get over that Notre Dame hatered. lol Of course they'll be all over Weis' jock if they upset the best team in the country, it's only natural. USC' ground game has been awsome the last two weeks.
lol. I wouldn't necessarilly call it hatred. I do have em in my top 10. But it seems like ever since Weis arrived at ND, everyone seems to think he is the best coach in the game. He hasn't even coached a full season yet, but I'm willing to bet the press already has him as a coach of the year lock.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:13 AM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Doug is right on here. You know Cal held Arizona to 0 points two weeks ago (the same Cal who gave up 47 points to UCLA yesterday). Then Arizona puts up 21 points (with several missed opportunites) on the Trojans.

Some of these stats, trends, and just the general "feel" of watching a Southern Cal game seem to point to a Trojan loss somewhere down the road this year. I just don't know if it will be this week or not.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:46 AM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

It's not that I disagree with you guys, exactly. If they keep sleepwalking through the first three quarters like they have been, yes, they are vulnerable.

It's just that, this reminds of the kind of team that, once your doubts are at their very gravest (picture a 2-point win over ND), they beat UCLA, Cal, and whomever they play in the Rose Bowl by 50, you know? I think they are the "best," most talented team in the country, so they only way I could pick them to lose would be for me to outright PREDICT that they will a)get lackadaisical again and b)can't come back. I can see both those things happening, but I believe it will not.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #14
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I think Notre Dame comes close to beating USC but it comes down to whoever has the worse defense and from the looks of things that is probably ND. It wouldn't surprise me to see some outrageous score of 56-49 or 49-42. Both of these teams are going to score points and it may very well come down to who has the ball last.

Southern Cal is in trouble when they play a team that can play offense and defense. There isn't one team left on their schedule that can do that for four quarters, especially against USC. The Trojans will run into trouble in the Rose Bowl when they do face a balanced team like Texas, Virginia Tech or *gasp* Penn State or Alabama.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:09 AM   #15
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

I think some discount the meaning of being No.1 in the country...especially for as long as these Trojans have been. Every team will give them their best shot. In general for Arizona, they have a tougher than advertised defense that eventually gets broken because of an anemic offense. The two turnovers they forced in the 1st half kept the team in the game. Aside from that, 'SC was still able to manage 6 80+ yard drives, including two 96-yarders. While the flashiness hasn't been in a complete 60-minute performance like against Arkansas every outing, their stats speak for themselves.

291.2 ypg rushing, averaging 7.0 ypc. No.1 in the nation.
349.2 ypg passing. 4th in the Nation. No.1 in total offense.

Oh their defensive numbers aren't as strong? They rank 11th in the nation in rush defense. Their pass defense has faced the No.1 and No.3 passing offenses in the country. I think you might want to cut them some slack in terms of being "unimpressive". I will concede that the kicking game is the glaring weakness of the Trojans. It remains to be seen if this will ultimately cost them. There's never ruling out injury of course, something the Trojans have already had some issues with.

Two solid road wins with domination in the 2nd half each time is something that should be respected. Instead, it's about the flaws. Yes, they have looked vulnerable, perhaps not looking as impressive as other top tier teams because of the expectation level. Of course, those teams aren't trying for greatness. What team doesn't give everything they have and then some to try and be the one team to stop greatness? 'SC has faced such opposition 27 straight times...and stood firm.

USC's main strength aside from pure talent is making adjustments during the course of a game. Losing a major part of the coaching staff, as well as the heart of the defense, will cause chinks in the armor, but when it's time for the Trojans offense to step up, they do. No other team can boast a rushing attack the likes of Thunder and Lightning....with the possible exception of Cal. There's also that air attack. You know, the near-exact same from last season, with the noticeable exception of Norm Chow's flair but still filled with all the talent you could ever want. As for Pete Carroll's specialty, this season's pattern thus far on defense is starting off slow against high-octane offenses, but then come the adjustments, and they make big momentum-shifting plays, whether it be stops or turnovers. Many of you may see this as fortune rather than skill...but it's a pattern all too familiar for those who've seen this team since Carson realized his potential.

In regards to Notre Dame, are they even capable of containing 'SC's offense? If we're talking about a shootout, I'll take Southern Cal every time. Again, adjustments are what separates 'SC from the rest of the pack. Weis will certainly have some wrinkles planned and will be a major test to Carroll's in-game coaching, but the Golden Domers also have to fight through the mental block of three straight blowouts to this Trojans team, including the last meeting at home. As their games against both Michigan and Michigan State showed, this is a team that does have its own issues, which play into the hands of the Trojans.

At Cal, Fresno State, and UCLA do present their own potential landmine scenarios as well...with my hopes locked on the Battle for the Victory Bell...but like every opponent 'SC will face, including whoever they might face should they reach the Rose Bowl, they'll have their own flaws...ones a team such as USC is talented enough to exploit, moreso than any other team in recent history.

Last edited by El Jefe; 10-12-2005 at 06:01 PM.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote