Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 01-26-2002, 01:44 AM   #1
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough
Default Baseball Season is Almost Here Again (finally)

Pitchers and Catchers report in just over 2 weeks. The rest of the teams report shorly afterwards.
There is hope for the future, yet.
Sorry guys, but this winter (?) has not been a good one for me. I'm not into football at all and basketball hasn't excited me, either. Junior league hockey is going well here in the Midwest, however, and has kept me busy. The new ballpark for our "local" (60 miles away) team is nearly ready and will open on April 7. I'll be in attendance that day and will give a full report. It cost about $15-20M and is one of the "new-old style" ballparks.
The website is www.kernels.com if you're interested in seeing it.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 10:25 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Naturally, my first question is, "What minor league hockey team & league??"

That ball park looks pretty good, too. What league are the Kernels in? Winnipeg opened one of those "new, old-style" ball parks in 1999 and it has almost exactly the same layout as the one in your picture. The only difference is that there is seats all the way down the 3rd base line, but only half way down the 1st base line. The Braves also play in a park like that for spring training at Walt Disney World -- same layout and seating capacity . . . I'd guess between 6,000 and 10,000???

Anyway, I don't have much to loke forward to this MLB season. The Jays have made terrible, terrilbe moves under new GM whatever-he's-called-with-a-long-and-hard-to-pronounce-name. Terrible. The Jays got worse this offseason, not better, IMO.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 12:55 PM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I watch the Cedar Rapids Roughriders of the USHL (a junior league -- I'll post a link on the Hockey board).
The Kernels are the Midwest League affiliate of the Anaheim Angels. The new ballpark will seat about 7500, I think and is set to open up soon.
I'm really interested in how the players look in spring training, especially those from Minnesota and Montreal. It appears as though the Twins will have a new owner who will finance a ballpark by himself. Now the State of Minnesota is coming up with the financing to build one for them and for the Vikings/U of Minn. Gophers. What a surprise. Major League Baseball threatens to close down the team and they find the money to keep it there. Oh well. The Season starts in a couple of months and then I'll have a reason to watch Sportscenter every night when I get home from work.
I'll post my predictions in a couple of weeks, once I see how the players act.

Catman
Old 01-26-2002, 01:56 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by catman
It appears as though the Twins will have a new owner who will finance a ballpark by himself. Now the State of Minnesota is coming up with the financing to build one for them and for the Vikings/U of Minn. Gophers. What a surprise
I hope the Twins stay also.... but don't put your hopes up too high for that new stadium!! After all, the Expos have been promised a new ballpark for each of the past 4 years, and the Jets were promised a new arena before they left Winnipeg in the NHL, too.... and they're STILL promising us a new arena . . . .. we should get it by 3002 A.D. or so
Old 01-26-2002, 04:09 PM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

According to today's St. Paul Pioneer Press, there are 2 stadium bills nearly ready to be voted on in the Minnesota Legislature. Both have a good chance of being passed and the Governor has said that he would sign one of the bills if there was enough support for the team in the communities and if it didn't require increased taxes for the average taxpayer.
Mr. Watkins has some competition from local groups in his bid to purchase the Twins, too.
It looks like the Twins and Vikings/Gophers will get new stadiums, most likely in St Paul, near the XCEL Centre.

Catman
Old 01-27-2002, 11:28 AM   #6
Dre2g
Grizzled Veteran

Dre2g is on a distinguished road

I just hope that my Braves do well this season. They did a nice job in that trade to get rid of Jordan, and bring in Sheffield. I think that's a great move.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:19 AM   #7
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
The Braves also play in a park like that for spring training at Walt Disney World -- same layout and seating capacity . . . I'd guess between 6,000 and 10,000???

Anyway, I don't have much to loke forward to this MLB season. The Jays have made terrible, terrilbe moves under new GM whatever-he's-called-with-a-long-and-hard-to-pronounce-name. Terrible. The Jays got worse this offseason, not better, IMO.
You're about right Lee on the guess of the stadium. But I'm too lazy tonight to actually look it up.

As for the Jays G.M. He didn't exactly have much choice, Ash loaded up with those salaries, and Ricardi had to cut payroll, I like some of their younger players though.

Now if the Braves hadn't gotten Sheffield I would have considered this offseason a disaster. But now they're still the team to beat in the NL East.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:05 PM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Brandon
As for the Jays G.M. He didn't exactly have much choice, Ash loaded up with those salaries, and Ricardi had to cut payroll, I like some of their younger players though.

Now if the Braves hadn't gotten Sheffield I would have considered this offseason a disaster. But now they're still the team to beat in the NL East.
I don't think he had to cut payroll... the new Jays ownership that came into power last season or the year before was "committed to spending more money"!!!.... and what do they do?? -- UNLOAD their best talents!???

I forget -- where did our shortstop Alex Gonzalez go . . . . . . someone fill me in, thanks.

As for the Braves.... I think they're time is over. They were the team of the 90s in the National League and it's time to give it up already! ....I think the Mets will be revived from last season and will make another run for it, in the NL East, at least.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:23 PM   #9
Brandon
is lurking...

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
I don't think he had to cut payroll... the new Jays ownership that came into power last season or the year before was "committed to spending more money"!!!.... and what do they do?? -- UNLOAD their best talents!???

I forget -- where did our shortstop Alex Gonzalez go . . . . . . someone fill me in, thanks.

As for the Braves.... I think they're time is over. They were the team of the 90s in the National League and it's time to give it up already! ....I think the Mets will be revived from last season and will make another run for it, in the NL East, at least.
Alex Gonzalez went to the Cubs. But really, the only people he was able to trade were the marketable ones. I like the Koch trade, because I like Hienske. But there is no way he's going to unload Mondesi on anybody unless he eats up some of Raul's salary. And well, the amount they spent last year for a mediocre club was too much, and there was no way they were gonna be able to improve dramatically this year. I see it as a no-win situation he was put in.

As for the Braves, I think they have a lot more gas in the tank than people think. But hey, I may be a little biased too, but I really don't think the Mets are any better.

I love it, baseball season's just around the corner, let the debates begin!
Old 01-29-2002, 11:10 AM   #10
great99
Sports Enthusiast

great99 is on a distinguished road

The Braves will be tough to beat if their pitching holds up. But their main guns are another year older.
The Mets have a more powerful lineup now then the Braves and just as much speed now. That will probably make the difference.

But I still need our pitching to match the Braves. No easy feat

It's time for a new NL east champion. This could be the year
great99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 11:27 AM   #11
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

It wouldn't suprise me to see the Mets take the NL East this year, with the moves they've made in the offseason. However, it will still be a tight race with the Braves.

As for my ChiSox...they must be sleeping this offseason. Besides trades with the Rangers and Pirates, no real moves have been made besides unloading some unwanted extra weight [cough] David Wells [/cough]. Hopefully, with Frank Thomas back, we can get back to 2000 form.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 12:19 PM   #12
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Nate, I predict that the AL Central will be a close race with the White Sox, Indians and Twins in it all the way to the wire. I just hope they don't beat up on each other too much that the team placing 2nd doesn't get into the Wild Card race, too.
Picking up Todd Ritchie was not a bad move, but the Sox might have given to much for him. He can pitch 200+ innings and should have a winning record with a decent ERA. He'll be better than Wells was last season, but then that wouldn't take much.

Catman
Old 01-29-2002, 12:28 PM   #13
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

You are right, catman. The AL Central will be tight. Hopefully, come the end of the season, my Sox will once again be atop the division. The Indians have won it enough, in my opinion. I don't think some of the players the Sox aquired were too bad, but they did unload some players I ws sort of suprised about, one being Kip Wells. Kip always struggled when starting, but when they had him in the bullpen last season, he seemed to do a lot better. Our biggest problem is pitching. Hopefully, Ritchie can fill some of the void we have on the mound.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 11:22 PM   #14
Brandon
is lurking...

Quote:
Originally posted by catman

Picking up Todd Ritchie was not a bad move, but the Sox might have given to much for him. He can pitch 200+ innings and should have a winning record with a decent ERA. He'll be better than Wells was last season, but then that wouldn't take much.
Personally I think the Sox shouldn't have made that move. Ritchie was not worth the three prospects they gave up. Showuld of just given a shot to Kip Wells, one of the players now in Pittsburg. These are the type of deals that can eventually ruin a farm system if they keep up. Not that the White Sox organization is exactly short of prospects.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:51 AM   #15
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I know its almost baseball season when the old Street and Smith's Baseball Guide comes out. Check it out its a great magazine. I've been buying it for over 35 years.
I can't wait for spring training. I wish I had the money to go to Florida and watch the teams play and prepare for the season.