Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-23-2002, 04:58 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default New Team In Charlotte?

High-level discussions are now taking place about the possibility of placing an expansion team in Charlotte to replace the departed Hornets. The topic they are focusing on the most is arranging for a new arena, which the commissioner insists is a necessary prerequisite for creating the new franchise.

Before they jump into this, perhaps they should consider the unintended consequences, and the main one is realignment: With the Eastern Conference already having one more team than the West, a Charlotte expansion team would either have to be slotted into the Western Conference (which wouldn't make a whole lot of sense) or one current East team must move (and interestingly the most plausible candidate for that would be the Hornets, who of course just moved from Charlotte to New Orleans).

A new team in Charlotte would also constitute a death knell for any plans on realigning into six divisions, as hockey has done: No matter which Eastern team moves (assuming they don't just stick the Charlotte team in the West), there would be six Western Conference teams that play in the Central time zone, and since there are already six Pacific time-zone teams, this means that at least one CST team would end up in the same division as at least one PST team - the same headache that plagued the NHL throughout the 1980s and was never really resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Last edited by Anthony; 06-23-2002 at 08:42 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 09:48 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It seems like no one wants to join the tough West, and for good reason - higher travel fees and longer distances, imagine having to fly to Washington state and back for a game vs. across your state. And to make matters worse, the T-Wolves want into the East, as well. Something's going to have to give and I hope my New Orleans Hornets stand their ground and stay in the East, where we belong.

As for Charlotte, it's a nice city, but the fans need to re-gain their trust of a franchise in order to support one. It is possible, but I don't think the NBA needs any more teams.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 01:23 PM   #3
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Another expansion filling a void in a city where the the former team just moved? I'm almost getting sick of it. But, I guess it's really not for me to decide!

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 03:05 AM   #4
Anthony

If Charlotte does get a new team, they should name it the Carolina Cougars, after the old ABA franchise. And of course this sort of thing has been done before, albeit different sports were involved: The NHL's New Jersey Devils were formerly the Colorado Rockies, until they left Denver following the 1981-82 season; then in 1993 Denver's expansion baseball team was given the same name.

And even though it would make sense from a geographical stanpoint, there is not a chance the Timberwolves will be moved to the East. First off, their ownership is still in Stern's "doghouse" over the Joe Smith affair, and if they were moved to the East that would mean two current East teams would have to be moved to the West. The Hornets would undoubtably be one, but after them, no one else would fit.

Then again, maybe not. Some wise guy might point out that since the West is so superior, it would be only fair if eight out of their 14 teams make the playoffs while eight out of 16 qualify from the East!

Last edited by Anthony; 06-24-2002 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:36 AM   #5
Dre2g
Grizzled Veteran

Dre2g is on a distinguished road

What's the point of moving the Hornets to New Orleans if they're just going to get a replacement team?
Old 06-24-2002, 06:28 AM   #6
Anthony

It would be just like what happened in baseball back in 1961: The old Washington Senators moved to Minnesota and became the Twins, and an expansion team was put in Washington, also called the Senators.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:22 AM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dre2g
What's the point of moving the Hornets to New Orleans if they're just going to get a replacement team?
Things just weren't working out the Hornets and the city. But pretty much everyone agrees the city of Charlotte can easily support an NBA team. Don't let the threat of leaving and sour relationship the Hornets management had with the fans make you think the city isn't worthy.

I do like the name Carolina Cougars, but that's water under a bridge at this point.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:44 AM   #8
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

The name's good. But it was working with one team more, wasn't it?
Old 06-24-2002, 08:35 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

The Cougars? Maybe an Arena Football team or something, but no - not to my knowledge.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:06 PM   #10
rowdy49er
Sports Enthusiast

rowdy49er is on a distinguished road
Default New NBA Team In Charlotte

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
If Charlotte does get a new team, they should name it the Carolina Cougars, after the old ABA franchise. And of course this sort of thing has been done before, albeit different sports were involved: The NHL's New Jersey Devils were formerly the Colorado Rockies, until they left Denver following the 1981-82 season; then in 1993 Denver's expansion baseball team was given the same name.

And even though it would make sense from a geographical stanpoint, there is not a chance the Timberwolves will be moved to the East. First off, their ownership is still in Stern's "doghouse" over the Joe Smith affair, and if they were moved to the East that would mean two current East teams would have to be moved to the West. The Hornets would undoubtably be one, but after them, no one else would fit.

Then again, maybe not. Some wise guy might point out that since the West is so superior, it would be only fair if eight out of their 14 teams make the playoffs while eight out of 16 qualify from the East!
Here is another team name to consider since our city was name after Queen Charlotte, how about the the Charlotte Monarchs. A Monarch is a ruler or king in charge or the most beautiful butterfly. This could be a mascot w/ a crown on top.

Last edited by rowdy49er; 06-29-2002 at 07:32 PM.
rowdy49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 10:25 AM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Is there a WNBA team with that name? (Sacramento?)

Welcome, by the way, rowdy49er.

:wavey:
Old 10-16-2002, 09:03 AM   #12
rowdy49er
Sports Enthusiast

rowdy49er is on a distinguished road

How about the Charlotte or Carolina Comets? Also does anyone know the spanish word for kings, if so please let me know and please include the proper pronounciation?
rowdy49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 12:33 PM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I didn't undestand fully what happened in Charlotte the first time'a-round, but I really don't understand how a city couldn't support one team with one name and not rally up funds for a new arena, but be able support another team with a different name and yet be able to raise money for a new arena.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 02:45 PM   #14
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

I believe it was the owner of the Hornets that kept the fans coming out to the games. I don't understand it either.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:44 PM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Yes, that's what I thought I was told before but that makes zero sense to me, too.... I mean, if you don't... it's just that...

...it boggles my mind.

If your team is winning, you go to games. If you are a good fan of that team, you go to games all the time. I don't get it.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote