Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-21-2003, 03:20 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default Pats Move To Strengthen Run Defense

In a move to shore up a run defense that was the NFL's second worst a year ago, the Patriots have acquired DT Ted Washington from the Bears for one of the two picks New England was scheduled to make in the fourth round of the 2004 draft.

Washington, a proven run stuffer, was a key member of the 2001 Bears defense, which allowed the second-fewest rushing yards and the fewest points in the league that year as Chicago finished 13-3. Look for him to make a huge impact - no pun intended - in New England, where he figures to line up at nose tackle since the Patriots employ a 3-4 defensive alignment.

Last edited by Anthony; 08-21-2003 at 03:26 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 03:15 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

This is the move that folks up here are surprised didn't happen sooner. Well, maybe not this one precisedly, but getting a big guy to take up space and blockers in the middle, anyway.

If he stays healthy, and can perform on the majority of running downs, this stands to be the second-best move the Pats made, eclipsing the acquisition of Rodney Harrison (but not the Colvin acquisition).

I also think this move propels them ahead of the Dolphins in the division, but only by the slimmest of margins. Concerns remain regarding the offense in Foxboro, and they are real concerns. The right side of the offensive line remains a disaster waiting for the declaration.

One of the local beat writers-turned columnist suggested that the Pats should deal away portions of whole drafts to obtain Orlando Pace; such an acquisition seems HIGHLY unlikely, although it would necessarily fix three positions, one of which wasn't even broken that badly. (LT)

Dave
Old 08-21-2003, 04:16 PM   #3
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Well big frickin' deal, man.

They picked up a fat, over-the-hill, wind-sucking gimp who's value is just that of a 4th round draft choice.

Next topic?
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 06:50 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

You still haven't recovered from the Snow Game, have you, poptart?

Dave
Old 08-22-2003, 12:17 AM   #5
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

That's true, Dave. You are right.

A couple of other factors bring out my venom.

1. I'm really not at all sold on Washington, as I said. I think the Pats will find that he is not what they HOPE he will be at this point in his career.
I was overjoyed when Oakland picked up Fat Adams in the off-season last year and had VERY high hopes for him.
He was......ok......and that is it.
He spent as much time gulping oxygen on the sideline as he did making run-stuffing stops last year.

Washington is older, fatter, and gimpier than Fat Adams.

'nuf said.

2. I like to post in a bit of a "confrontational" manner just to stir the pot from time to time. It makes it more interesting, IMO.

Understand that my bark is worse than my bite.

I love everybody.......even the Patsie fans.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:48 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

In order to secure a top playoff seed in your conference you absolutely, positively have to stop the run; the last #1 seed that finished in the bottom half of the league in run defense was the 1993 Buffalo Bills. With that in mind, this is an awesome move on the part of the Patriots, and will help them prove me right as I have picked them to both get the top seed in the AFC and go to the Super Bowl!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:00 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
In order to secure a top playoff seed in your conference you absolutely, positively have to stop the run; the last #1 seed that finished in the bottom half of the league in run defense was the 1993 Buffalo Bills. With that in mind, this is an awesome move on the part of the Patriots, and will help them prove me right as I have picked them to both get the top seed in the AFC and go to the Super Bowl!
I agree ... while these big, fat run-stuffers may just seem like big goons who don't do anything, they play a vital role on a team. I think you could say whoever wins the battle at the line of scrimmage whens the game, and having big bodies can help you win that battle.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote