Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 02-18-2004, 11:35 PM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default Sens trade for Bondra

Good move for Ottawa here. They gave up nothing for him, he's a consistent 30-35 goal scorer, and he makes that Ottawa powerplay more dangerous. This team looks a lot different already, but I still think they need to add another solid veteran.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:22 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

#1 powerplay in the league just got even better... it's pretty much impossible to tell which is the "#1" unit and which is the "#2" unit. We are so deep on RW it is unbelievable... we have four RWers that would be #1 RWers on most teams -- Alfredsson, Havlat, Hossa, and now Bondra.

We are a fairly deep team, but with some of the injuries we have it will be hard to keep it up much longer... HUGE holes in centre ice and when Smolinski is your #2 or #3 guy you got issues. Hopefully White makes a good recovery and Bonk and Fischer come back soon because that is the difference between a 2-point Northeast lead and a 15 point Northeast lead right now for the Sens
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Interesting POV I read on ESPN.com.... though Melnyk certainly was a HUGE reason the Sens were able to get Bondra, Canadian teams have about $9 million extra to spend than the did 3 years ago, because of the Canadian dollar's rise 20-cent over the past 1.5 years!!
Old 02-19-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

I hope the Flames get Gonchar Maybe not....

It is a good move for the Sens. The Caps have given up and are giving their team away for cheaper/younger players.

Sad... but they won't be the last team to do it.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:20 PM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

1 game. 1 goal.

great start for Bondra in the (other) nation's capital
Old 02-21-2004, 04:04 AM   #6
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

I'm sorry to see Bondra dealt from DC. We all know this was primarily a money-saving move for a team whose season is going nowhere, but Leonsis also said in an official statement that Bondra deserved to be somewhere he could win a Cup.
Quote:
"Peter Bondra deserves a chance to compete for a Stanley Cup, and I regret that we couldn't give him that opportunity in D.C. this year," said Capitals majority owner Ted Leonsis. "I know what he means to our fan base, but allowing him the opportunity to win a Cup is important."
I don't disagree necessarily, but it still makes me sad to see guys leave a place they've spent their entire career. It seems like people see an extraordrinary case like Ray Bourque and then it's ok in all cases.

Washington is not like, say, the Pens. The Caps are financially strong and could conceivably have gone to the Finals again before Bondra's career ended. Just last season they were a strong favorite to win their division. Jagr, Bondra, Gonchar, Lang, Kolzig, etc. aren't spring chickens, but the Caps had the personnel to put together two strong lines and a good defensive pairing in front of a potentially dominant goalie. A couple moves in the offseason and the team should have been right back there.

Regardless, I always hate to see a guy move from the team he's spent a 10+ year career with. Bondra didn't choose this, though, and I guess I wish him luck. Classy guy.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:05 PM   #7
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

That's a good thought Brad. But at the same time Bondra is 36 years old and the window of opportunity is closing. It's nice to see that Ted Leonsis rewarded Bondra by trading him to a top 3 contending team. It's a sad fact, but Washington is headed down that Pittsburgh road. They've gotten rid of Jagr and Bondra. And by the deadline Sergei Gonchar, Robert Lang and Olaf Kolzig will be all gone as well. The Caps may not be in the financial situation like Pittsburgh, but on ice both teams will stink.

Personally, i'd love to see Lang traded to Detroit. Everyone is talking about Gonchar, and while he is a solid offensive defenseman, he's not a two way player. I'd love to see Detroit add a guy like Robert Lang or even Doug Weight out of St. Louis.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:30 AM   #8
icas
And then the robot killed

icas is on a distinguished road

Interesting enough is that Bondra didn't want to leave.

I wonder if this trade led to the Flyers aquiring Zhamnov.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:15 AM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Probably... the only way to fight fire is with fire!

For depth purposes, the only thing the Sens could really use is another girtty d-man... 'cuz they are very much set on offense and goal right now.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:01 PM   #10
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Good luck, Lee. EVERY team is looking for D depth. It's going to be impossible to pry a good D man this year. I know for me, if I was a GM with a team in a playoff race, i'd go all after Adrian Aucoin right now.

Good thing about Detroit though is that when Derian Hatcher comes back, it'll be like picking up a solid FA. There's a positive out of everything.