Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Western Conference Champions
Spurs will contain the Suns 11 84.62%
Suns will scorch San Antonio 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Default Western Conference Finals

Here we are in the Conference Finals already! Very exciting!

I like San Antonio over Phoenix in 7... barely, and only because the crew is more experienced. I think the superior defense of the Spurs will be the key here, but if San Antonio can't contain Nash & Co., we could very easily be watching the Suns in the Finals.

What is your pick?

Last edited by Shawndo; 05-21-2005 at 08:36 PM.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

I like the Spurs in 6. With Joe Johnson either sidelined or not at 100%, Phoenix doesn't have anyone who can hold Ginobili.

Amare is quickly becoming one of the top players in the League on offense, but he still has a way to go on defensive before he can handle Tim Duncan.

San Antonio's depth creates another problem for the Suns. They've got Brent Barry, Big Dog, and Udrih coming off the bench, and all can contribute.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I am not sure who I like in this one yet. This series will likely come down to two matchups:

Tony Parker v. Steve Nash: The Spurs seem to go as Parker goes in the playoffs, especially on the defensive end. In the games that the Spurs have lost in the postseason the opposing team got PG play above and beyond what Andre Miller, Luke Ridinour, or Antonio Daniels typically provided during the regular season. If Parker cannot slow Nash and keep him from getting into a rhythm offensively then Phoenix has a good shot at winning.

Duncan v. Stoudamire: Is Duncan's foot/ankle going to be healthy enough to handle Amare in the post and keep up with him on the break? Amare has been having a bout of foul trouble the past few games and when he is struggling to get into the flow of the game it pretty much relegates the Suns to being a jump shooting team.

While the Spurs do have Barry, Robinson, and Udrih coming off the bench and can contribute they have yet to do so on a consistent basis during this postseason. They have just been 'there' and little else.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 02:22 AM   #4
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Spurs in six.

I want to take Phoenix, because they are a terrific basketball team to watch, but the Spurs are just too tough on D. They have all the tools to get it done. You can book they're trip to the NBA finals.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

San Antonio over Phoenix in 6

I really want to pick the Suns but I just don't see them getting by San Antonio, especially without a healthy Joe Johnson.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #6
RotoDig
Rookie Player

RotoDig is on a distinguished road

Ginobili and Parker getting into the lane at will. Solid minutes off the bench from Beno Udrih, Brent Barry, and Devin Brown. The loss of Joe Johnson will hurt the suns who are already not very deep. The suns will still put up an incredible fight behind Nash, Stoudemire, and Marion. Spurs in 7.
RotoDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I'm going to say Phoenix in seven. Like Shaq in the East, Duncan isn't 100% and needs to be for his team to win. I think the Suns have too many weapons and are on a roll.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:16 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I dunno about containing the Suns, but they should be able to win the Series.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #9
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

So the Spurs just took Game 1. The key factors for them were:

- The bench. Brent Barry was just lights out in the second half, and Robert Horry was his usual Playoff-dependable self. They're going to need key contributions like that throughout the series, because depth is their best weapon against a Suns team who is, for argument's sake, only 6 deep.

- Joe Johnson. He is so underrated, and his absence really kills Phoenix. His void coupled with Quentin Richardson's inconsistency allowed San Antonio to focus on Shawn Marion all afternoon.

- Defense on Marion. He's important to the Suns, and the Spurs were able to freeze him out of this one.

- Tony Parker. He stepped up big-time, both on offense and defense.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

It will be interesting to see if Johnson tries to go on Tuesday with the face mask. Marion picked a bad time to have his worst game of the postseason to date. Marion's inability to find his game on offense was the difference in the game. Jim Jackson was more than adequate filling in for Joe Johnson, and if Marion goes for his usual 20 then the Suns win that game today.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:48 PM   #11
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Suns in 7. The Spurs were on fire in the 4th today, but I don't see Barry shooting like that all series.

Go Suns!.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:34 AM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

The Suns gave up 121 points to the Spurs. My God, the Spurs ! You know, it would be interesting to see Phoenix play Miami and even more so Detroit to see how many points they would give up to those two defensive teams. We'll never know though. Spurs in 5.

How the hell do you give up 121 points to San Antonio.?Totally unacceptable unless this is 1984 and you are playing the Nuggets. Can't get over it. I should call up Colangelo and ask for a contract. Hell, I could tackle Duncan or Manu 6 times and foul out to set an example of how to play some defense or at the very least, touch your opponent so he doesn't score at will.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:35 AM   #13
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

I picked San Antonio in 7, but personally I would much rather see Phoenix advance. I like that team much better overall, although..... on the other hand, I would kind of like to see Shaq vs. Duncan in the Finals.

D'Antoni has his work cut out for him; devising defensive strategies for Phoenix to hang with San Antonio in that department.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #14
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Spurs in 5
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #15
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How the hell do you give up 121 points to San Antonio?
This question should have been answered earlier in the regular season, where San Antonio averaged over 116 points per game against the Phoenix Suns. In the only loss the Spurs suffered to the Suns this season, San Antonio still managed to score in triple digits without Tim Duncan or Manu Ginobli on the floor.

Phoenix still managed to put up 114 points last night against the best defensive team in the playoffs. It's not as if Phoenix was out of the ballgame by any means, nor is the series over. Brent Barry will not have another game this series where he shoots 67% from the floor and goes 5 of 8 from beyond the arc. And Shawn Marion will not have another game this series where he scores three points and only attempts six shots.

Jim Jackson performed fine filling in for Joe Johnson, and it would have been a much different ballgame had Jackson not gone 4 for 8 from three-point range and pulled down eight defensive boards. I still like San Antonio in six, but that game did nothing but tell me that all Phoenix has to do is win one on the road. It did nothing to change my mind about either team, and Phoenix has the capabilities to make this a series.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote