Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who Will Draft Eli Manning?
Oakland Raiders 2 28.57%
Pittsburgh Steelers 0 0%
San Diego Chargers 0 0%
Other: Specify in post 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2003, 05:38 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Question Eli's Coming - But Where?

In December of 1969, Three Dog Night scored a major hit with Eli's Coming. Thirty-four years later, this same song - or at least its title - resonates strongly in NFL circles.

We're talking about Peyton's younger brother and Archie's son Eli of course. Interestingly, most of the "contenders" in the race for the number-one draft pick in 2004 are quite well-set at quarterback - Jacksonville (with Byron Leftwich), Atlanta (Michael Vick), Detroit (Joey Harrington), and the Jets (Chad Pennington). That leaves three teams currently 2-6 or worse that figure to have a keen interest in Manning - the 2-6 Raiders and Steelers, and the 1-7 Chargers.

So where does he end up?

Last edited by Anthony; 11-06-2003 at 05:44 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The Steelers are rumored to be interested in Drew Henson, Anthony. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. Don't count the Cards out of the equation just because they have three wins. They'll still be in the top ten, and Detroit might be willing to give up their #2 draft pick for something the Cards have... oh, who am I kidding? Bidwell would never pay a QB top ten pick money!!

The Raiders are a good option. I think the Chargers might wait till the second round, in hopes that Brees third season is a setback, not a sign of being a complete bust.

Meanwhile, the Packers are still looking for Favre's successor, the Bills have to give serious consideration to the idea that Bledsoe is truly, absolutely, completely done, or at least in need of a successor as well, and, good as Collins and Green are, both have eclipsed 30 some time ago, and will be in need of successors eventually.

And then, Houston may not have enough QBs after all...

Dave
Old 11-06-2003, 03:45 PM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Yes the Steelers should grab Eli if he is available when their pick comes. Man he would revitalize that franchise tremendously.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:43 AM   #4
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

I voted "other" because it's impossible to tell where he's going. What is one teams #1 need in November may fall to #10 by April. There is also Free Agency period #1 before the draft where any of the aforementioned teams will pick up a QB then.

It would make more sense to predict his draft ORDER than try and nail down a team who will pick him. Especially since we have no idea what the draft order will be in the first place. Pittsburgh is only 2 games behind division leading Baltimore. Oakland seems happy with Marcus T and San Diego just drafted Brees.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 03:28 AM   #5
Anthony

One thing to keep in mind, Dave: No team with four victories has ever finished with the worst (or tied for worst) overall record in the NFL (the '56 Eagles came closest, with three wins and a tie) - so one more win effectively "eliminates" the Cardinals, along with everyone else who is presently 3-5.

And PurpleReign, as for Oakland being happy with Marques Tuiasosopo - they're absolutely nuts if they are and squander an opportunity to virtually guarantee themselves elite talent at quarterback from next year until at least the late 2010s - which whoever ends up with Eli Manning will be doing, barring a catastrophic injury to him.

Of course a team like Atlanta or Jacksonville could end up finishing worst overall and trade down - in that case, many other teams could enter the picture, including Green Bay if Brett Favre does decide to retire after this season.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:51 PM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I would also love New Orleans get him, but I don't think that is a reality.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:07 PM   #7
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

If I'm Pittsburgh, I'm taking the first tailback available. Whether that's Stephen Jackson or Kevin Jones, I don't know, but Bettis is done, and Zeroue isn't an NFL starter. If they wind up with a top 5 pick, it would be smart to trade down.

I doubt Oakland will draft Manning, you gotta feel they'll give Tuiasosopo at least another year before they give up on him.

As for SD, I seriously doubt they'll draft Eli.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:26 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I would love for him to be Favre's predecessor, but the Packers will not be bad enough to get him. Perhaps a trade?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:16 PM   #9
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

mark my words. Eli Manning will be a Miami Dolphin
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:38 AM   #10
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

I have a question for you guys, if this were a draft full of QB-needy teams, do you think Ben Roethlisberger (the monster QB from Miami (OH) ) would be the second quarterback taken, after Manning?
Old 11-08-2003, 04:03 AM   #11
Anthony

The fact that Miami of Ohio is not really a "major" college program may work against Roethlisberger. Quarterbacks coming out of such programs almost always take longer to develop than one who went to a truly "big-time" school; look how long it took Chad Pennington to become the starter with the Jets, and while his successor at Marshall, Byron Leftwich, has become the starter at Jacksonville in his rookie year, the results so far have not been pretty to say the least. Someone like Roethlisberger could be an excellent late-first-round pick by a team that has no immediate need at quarterback and can afford to groom him - Green Bay would be a perfect example if Brett Favre does not retire after this year.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:15 AM   #12
Skinswin
Grizzled Veteran

Skinswin is on a distinguished road

Eli will be gone in the top three picks if the team needs a QB. So the Steelers probally will not land him. As they will win enough not to be a top three pick.

Oakland needs to look to the future as Gannon is going to retire.

San Diego has Drew Brees and he is having some problems now but he has proven he can play in the NFL. So Eli will not be a Charger.

Cleveland has the Dud Tim Couch that they will probally try to trade after this season so Eli would fit in there.

And if all else fails Arizona will get him. Would be the best draft pick they have done in years.
Skinswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 02:02 PM   #13
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

I just....I don't know, I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. He's got good size (I think he goes about 6'4", 215), and is smart, but he doesn't have any above average physical tools. Now sure, for most teams that sounds like an acceptable quarterback, but not a top 5 pick!!! He and Peyton may have the same head, but Eli can't touch Peyton's arm. If it where me he'd be third or forth on my wish list, behind Ben Roeth and J.P Losman.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:34 AM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Roethlisberger has intentions to state, J. As a junior, he may opt to pad his stats next season and come out next year as a supremely legit 1st round guy, like Pennington did a few years ago. He could've come out as a junior, but didn't, and was a mid-round 1st rounder for doing so...

Dave
Old 11-09-2003, 03:45 AM   #15
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

*Woody Page*

I have to straighten you bunch of losers out all the time. It's the Carolina Panthers, they will trade up to get the pick, no matter what.

*woody page is over*

I also can see him going to San Francisco, Rattay has been disappointing in practice and stuff. But yeah, it's possible.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote