Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-10-2003, 11:33 PM   #16
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Ricky, be honest, aren't you being a bit of a homer?
Old 11-10-2003, 11:45 PM   #17
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road

Need to edit title to ......... Can Bucks hang with OU?

For one, OSU still has 2 very big games coming up. Don't count out them losing one of them and don't count out the Trojans from losing to UCLA.

IF the Sooners would happen to play OSU it might actually be a closer game than USC because like I said all season long, OSU has a dominating D but might need it to score against the Sooner's D which may be better than OSU's.

IF the Sooners played USC, the only chance I see for the Trojans is that they somehow use their speed to simply exhaust OU's D.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:15 AM   #18
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Need to edit title to...Can TCU hang with OU?

I think OSU will lose a game, LSU should as well, if USC loses, you gotta think an undefeated TCU team finishes ahead of Texas in the BCS.

Alright, so TCU probably won't go, but here's the question...

A 2 loss team or an undefeated TCU for the National Championship game? I'd send them over a 2 loss Texas team, maybe over a 2 loss LSU team, but not over a 2 loss Buckeyes team.

As for Ohio State against Oklahoma, I think you guys aren't giving enough credit to Ohio State. If they beat Michigan and Purdue, well, you can't take anything away from them.

The Big 12 is down this season, I don't think anyone will argue that the conference is not as strong as it has been in recent years. Texas A & M isn't a good football team and maybe if Stoops wasn't CONSTANTLY PASSING THE BALL with a 30+ point lead, less people would be so firmly on this OU bandwagon.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #19
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Oklahoma is better than most pro teams.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:51 PM   #20
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I think Keith is overrating OU with that last comment, but Doug's points/questions are serious ones.

His note that OU passes with huge leads is telling: I heard a guy last night on sports radio suggest that because OSU has a stern run D, they would hold some advantage over OU. Not so. OU runs after they've established the pass, not the other way around. OU will throw throw throw, and if OU's passing O v OSU's passing D is the difference, I gotta throw in with the Sooners, against anybody. OSU's pass defense is okay, but wildly vulnerable. USC's pass D has been shown to be pretty good, but they're very vulnerable to the run when stacked against the pass, as they proved in their only loss to date. (Echimandu ran ALL OVER the Trojans in Cal's victory). For that matter, even though Wisconsin's only weapon was the run, and OSU was stacked against it, the Badgers were able to push the OSU dline around much of the game...

Dave
Old 11-11-2003, 05:45 PM   #21
h0kies4life87
Grizzled Veteran

h0kies4life87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
Oklahoma is better than most pro teams.

lol...I wouldnt go that far
Tennessee Titans
h0kies4life87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:55 PM   #22
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

That comment is absurd. Absolutely insane.

The J, I am absolutely a bit of a homer, but I thought that was the case for everyone here??? But that doesn't stop me from looking at my team in a rational way. The last two years there was only one game where I said on these boards that the Buckeyes had a legitmiate chance of losing and that was the Wisconsin game, the only game they have lost the past two years.

I think Oklahoma is exteremly overrated. No college football team can be as good as what the media says about this Oklahoma team. And I believe that if they play Ohio State in the title game, it will be a 7 point game either way. Actually, if OSU wins it will be by 3 points max.

Last edited by Richard the Lionheart; 11-11-2003 at 10:59 PM.
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:16 PM   #23
h0kies4life87
Grizzled Veteran

h0kies4life87 is on a distinguished road

OSU fans are hilarious..when do they play Michigan?
Tennessee Titans
h0kies4life87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:31 PM   #24
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Rickey, do yourself a huge favor. STOP reading the press clippings, and actually WATCH Oklahoma play on tv with your own eyes.

To hear somebody call OU overratted.....now, THAT is absurd. Much less have them attach "extremely" to the word. Ohio State would keep it within 7.....for the first quarter of the game, at best. OSU isn't in Oklahoma's league. Nobody is. USC is close, but not quite there.

No college football team can be as good as the media says they are? On the basis of what? That Ohio State didn't get this kind of pub last year? Jealousy? Envy?

Believe the hype, little one. Oklahoma is worthy of every bit of hype they are recieving. They are, without a doubt, the greatest most powerful team the sports has seen in a decade, at least.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:07 AM   #25
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Purple, I think Ricky is right in suggesting that Keith's fairly foolish claim that OU could hang with an NFL team. The idea is simply ludicrous when you stop to think about it.

Meanwhile, I think that Ricky's "rational" observations regarding his team are fine to call into question, I do think he is spot on in suggesting that folks are overstating OU's greatness. I don't doubt that OU is the best team in the land. I also don't doubt that they are beatable. Whether they'll lose this season remains to be seen. It doesn't seem likely... HOWEVER, most said the same thing about Miami of 2002. Caution is prudent, especially when OU has to win 4 more games to claim the big prize.

Of course you don't think OU is overrated, because you think they're the best team in a decade. I'm not sure the numbers suggest that, though, so, you may want to check your standards for rating and overrating teams.

If it were to come to it, though, this year, if OSU were playing in the national title game against the Sooners, I'd be rooting for Boomer Sooner, and not Miami U ca. 1991 North.

Dave
Old 11-12-2003, 06:09 AM   #26
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

OU can be defeated although it's unlikely/highly unlikely any team will beat them this year. Colorado stayed with OU until late in the fourth quarter this year and with a few "what ifs" they could have upset the Sooners.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 11:18 AM   #27
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

OU has beaten teams down agreed, but not all teams have they just put to shame. Alabama really played OU tough, and Bama has a losing record. Colorado played OU fairly tough as well, as it was 27-20 in the 4th quarter, yet again another team with a losing record. OU has risen to the occasion vs. decent teams in Texas and Oklahoma State by killing them. I still say that OU's schedule has made them look better than they actually are.

Speaking of best teams of the last decade, that award easily goes to Nebraska in 1995. Their closest game was a margin of 14 points and they destroyed an undefeated Florida team by 38 points in the National title game.

As of right now this OU team would be a good comparison with the Miami team of 2001. Miami wore out every team they played besides Boston College and Va Tech. That being said, Miami accomplished something that OU has not (championship), so OU has the potential to be as good as that Miami team depending on the outcome of their next 4 games.

Joey
Old 11-12-2003, 10:05 PM   #28
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Absolutely. Thankyou for making those points, they are absolutely correct. Purple Reign has been wrong on almost everything he's said this year so I'm not really worried about what he has to say anymore.

I also believe OU is the best team so far this year. I have no problem admitting that. I also think that if I had to put money on a team winning it all I would put it on the Sooners. But this team's media hype is based on thrashings of soft Texas, and OK State teams, and a land slide against a sub 500 Texas A&M team. Whether they play USC or OSU in the Title Game, they will be playing a considerably tougher team than anyone they have played this year. They havn't proven anything yet, other than they are the best team in their conference. Wait till the year is at least over before you wrongly assert that they are the best team of the decade or could beat half of the NFL teams out there.

ANY....and I mean ANY NFL team would beat Oklahoma by at least three touchdowns.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:06 AM   #29
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Purple Reign has been wrong on almost everything he's said this year so I'm not really worried about what he has to say anymore.
No more so than I am worried about you TAKING me seriously. Although, did call Oklahoma back in August to win it all.

Quote:
I also believe OU is the best team so far this year.
Then how can you call them "extremely overrated" two posts ago? They can't be "extremely overrated" and "the best team by far" all at once?

Quote:
But this team's media hype is based on thrashings of soft Texas, and OK State teams, and a land slide against a sub 500 Texas A&M team.
First off, I don't think any Ohio State fan should pick an argument about strength of schedule. Especially, calling some other team out for HOW they beat somebody. Wanna talk about San Diego State and Bowling Green? How about Northwestern and Wisconsin? OSU isn't King of the Mountain when it comes to schedule. And by the way, Texas is not only ranked #7 in the polls, they are #5 in the BCS. How the hell is that "soft?" OK State was a top 20 team when they played OU. OSU lost to a weak Wisconsin team....needed triple OT to beat a .500 NCState team. Still wanna go down this road?

Quote:
Whether they play USC or OSU in the Title Game, they will be playing a considerably tougher team than anyone they have played this year.
That's debateable. especially with OSU. I think Texas would give the Bucks all they could handle.

Quote:
They havn't proven anything yet, other than they are the best team in their conference.
Actually, they have proven to everybody buy you that they are the best team in the COUNTRY, far much less, the Big 12.

Quote:
Wait till the year is at least over before you wrongly assert that they are the best team of the decade
I'm not the only person who has said that. Not by a long shot.

Quote:
or could beat half of the NFL teams out there.
I NEVER said that.

Quote:
Alabama really played OU tough, and Bama has a losing record.
Not only was that in week 2, but Alabama has played a lot of teams tough. If they played this Saturday, i dare say it would be about as ugly as the last couple games OU has played.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:01 AM   #30
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Saying that a team is "extremely overrated" and the "best team in the land" are very much mutually exclusive, Purple. It's really quite simple. OSU was one of the two best teams in the land a year ago, and won the game that "decided" the matter. However, no one claimed they were the "best team in a decade." 2002 OSU wasn't extremely overrated.

OU HASN'T proven anything yet. They've whipped everyone on their schedule to date, but until they play the Huskers in the Big 12 Conference Title game, they haven't proven it. One can make educated guesses as to how their games will end on each Saturday, but let's not call them foregone conclusions.

Miami v WVU 2003 was a foregone conclusion.
VT v WVU 2003 was a foregone conclusion.
Cal v USC 2003 was a foregone conclusion.

How'd all those work for folks? That's what I thought.

You're right, OU would probably beat the hell out of Bama now. The Tide have lost a certain amount of faith, and several players to injury, especially on defense. The Tide aren't as deep as OU, and can't withstand the loss of their version of Lance Mitchell or Tedy Lehman, much less both.

The only reason Texas might give OSU a run for their money is because of the incredibly lackluster offense. However, anyone who's hit the UT defense in the mouth and said, "I'm gonna run the GD ball, get the hell outta my way " has succeeded in doing so. (Only Nebraska, who has absolutely no downfield threat whatsoever, hasn't been able to completely breakdown the Texas rush D; it's awfully difficult for ten guys to block eleven in the box...)
OSU throws downfield enough to keep the Longhorns honest, and would likely win 13-9 or something like that.

Ricky merely (and correctly) points out that in this era of "point spreads don't matter in the polls" point spreads VERY MUCH affect how people perceive a team. Was OSU's dominance of Northwestern, a 20-0 laugher made up mostly of boring ball and played by OSU's second and third strings for more than half the game, any less than OU's embarrassment of TAMU? At least OSU's 1st defense took the second half off, which can't besaid of OU's 1st defense against TAMU... I think this ends in a wash.

Listen, I really don't like siding with Ricky (esp., in politics), but when you and others are praising OU as the best team in a decade, I feel compelled to join Ricky in his crusade, no matter how much I don't like his team this season.

OU doesn't run particularly well. Their defense has been dominant, but has allowed more rushing yards than the Sooners have gained on several occasions. The Sooners haven't faced a team with offensive speed that would threaten their defensive speed. While I don't think OSU's offense would be able to score much against OU's D, I think OU would struggle to keep up with SC's offense.

The caution is fair, Purple: OU is good. Maybe even great. They aren't even CLOSE to being the best team in a decade. Sit back, calm down, and watch their coming games, some of which might pose more challenges than anyone expects (including the Sooners themselves).

Dave