Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Will the Bengals make the playoffs?
Indeed 5 35.71%
No 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2003, 03:56 PM   #1
Zakdady
Banned

Zakdady is on a distinguished road
Default Bengals............Superbowl

Now i have been a Bengals fan for quite some time, but you have to admit they have a high quality chance this season. The AFC North is a joke and the Bengals have a more than good chance of winning the division. Now i ask you, is this for real?
Zakdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:24 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Not this year. Not with Tennessee, New England, Indy, and KC playing the way they are. But, I think the Bengals need to actually be in first place in their division before suggesting they can win it. They remain a game behind the Ravens...

Dave
Old 11-11-2003, 04:52 PM   #3
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Is Ken Anderson back in uniform??

Loses against the Cards won't do their chances any good.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:57 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

With Kyle Boller out, quite possibly for the season, the Bengals have as good a shot as anyone of winning the AFC North.

I'll tell you one thing though: The teams in the NFC East can't wait for next year, when they get to play both the AFC North and the NFC North in the rotation. Between Boller's injury, Minnesota's apparent flame-out and the way Green Bay is struggling, it isn't altogether impossible that not one of the eight teams that make up the two North divisions will finish over .500, which would give the NFC East a huge advantage in strength of schedule over the conference's other three divisions and the inside track for first-round byes and wild cards.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:15 PM   #5
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Uh No. Not the bungals year. Yet.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:56 PM   #6
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Uh....yeah.

What kornflake said.

poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:14 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Good lord, I'm agreeing with Anthony... over a division we contested hotly at season's start??!!

This division is Cincy's for the taking with Baltimore going to Anthony Wright at QB. The Browns have cried Uncle! (and are losing Green for four more games under the NFL's substance abuse policy), the Steelers flat out suck.

Kitna was the best QB in the division before Boller fell. Rudi Johnson has stepped up to provide a running attack that Corey
"Call me a Cowboy" Dillon wasn't providing for his $6m paycheck. The defense, while not stunning, hasn't been any worse than previous years, and I'm going to guess it's better than last year's anyway. That would put the defense at second in the division, behind Baltimore. The Ravens D is going to be torn up and worn out by season's end...

If the Bengals want it enough... Lewis can branded a saviour of the franchise and be a top three candidate for Coach of the Year (while winning the division with nothing better than a 9-7 record).

Dave
Old 11-13-2003, 04:43 PM   #8
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Let's not forget though, the Bengals 2001 campaign, in which they finished 6-10 and talk of the playoffs (for 2002) was in the air, only to stumble to a 2-14 record the next season.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:17 PM   #9
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

No, not this year but they will come damn close. My guess is Pittsburgh is going to have a resurgence now and win a few in a row and the Bengals win a few more but fade to third in the division. Hell, even Cleveland could win the division. The division leader (Baltimore) and last place (Cleveland and Pittsburgh) are 2 games from the division lead. This is as wide open as any division in football right now. It should be a thrilling finish. Too bad all the teams in the mix really suck, especially now with the Ravens scrambling to find the right QB now that Boller is out. Chances are that whoever wins will be gone in round 1.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:52 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
Chances are that whoever wins will be gone in round 1.
That seems like a lock. It's entirely possible the winner of this division will finish no better than 8-8. That said, I actually give the Bengals that edge. The Steelers were unimpressive in beating the sad-sack Cardinals.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:28 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Another thing the plight of the AFC North will serve to do is reopen debate over the playoff format. If things proceed the way they now figure to, whoever doesn't win the AFC South as between Tennessee and Indianapolis could finish as high as 12-4 and find themselves playing on the road against the (quite possibly) 8-8 winner of the AFC North in the first round of the playoffs. Also, a team like Miami or Denver could finish 9-7 or even 10-6 and not make the playoffs while the AFC North winner does at 8-8. If the latter scenario does indeed arise, some owner is going to resurrect the notion of adding one more wild card to each conference - something I'm personally against until the increasingly likely 2005 or 2006 expansion actually occurs.

Last edited by Anthony; 11-14-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:06 PM   #12
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Tennessee or Indy could even be 13-3 and still have to play on the road in the first round of the playoffs if that scenario plays out. That just makes me sick. I would not mind it if there was only 1 game separating the 2 teams, but a 4 to 5 game gap between wins and losses and still have to play on the road.....words don't describe how stupid that is.

Joey
Old 11-18-2003, 05:17 PM   #13
rocketman
Sports Enthusiast

rocketman is on a distinguished road

Well, now that they've beaten the Chiefs, and since the rest of their divsion is nothing to write home about, yeah, they stand a chance to make the playoffs. But the rest of the AFC is too tough, so I seriously doubt the Bengals would go far at all in the postseason.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:12 PM   #14
marshall
Sports Enthusiast

marshall is on a distinguished road

The Bengals are going to make the playoffs. The Offence is doing great and Rudi Johnson is carrying the offence on his shoulders. Also the passing game is coming around with Peter Warrick and Chad Johnson making big plays they will definately have a shot. Dont call me crazy I know they have no shot at a superbowl but Playoffs definately.
marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 06:29 PM   #15
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

remember zakdady. He didn't make a huge impact like other who fell befor him, but he is a good friend of mine ,outside of the boards, so i had to say my good byes on this page.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote