Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 11-13-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road
Default Schilling to the Yankees?

According to Curt Schilling, he thinks he won't be back in a Diamondbacks uni next year. He's said that only two teams are on his list that he is awaiting a call from, those being the Yankees and the Phillies. Much as I dont want to see him leave AZ, I am excited about what we might get in return. I'm guessing that the Yanks could come up with the best deal player wise, but perhaps some of you baseball fans that are more in the know than me could fill me in on your thoughts. I've heard for sometime now that Richie Sexson could be on his way to the Dbacks.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

This is kind of irrelivant, but when healthy, would you agree that Schilling is one of the top 3 pitchers in baseball?
Old 11-13-2003, 05:11 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Schilling to the Yankees? He's a few years older than Pettitte but chances are we could have him for less money. The only real prospects that Schilling is worth are Juan Rivera and Robinson Cano. There is always Nick Johnson too. However, I thought the D-Backs were going to make Lyle Overbay into their future first baseman.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:28 PM   #4
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
Schilling to the Yankees? He's a few years older than Pettitte but chances are we could have him for less money. The only real prospects that Schilling is worth are Juan Rivera and Robinson Cano. There is always Nick Johnson too. However, I thought the D-Backs were going to make Lyle Overbay into their future first baseman.
Not while Sexson is available they won't. I think you'll find that Schilling will not come cheap, as the reason he is willing to wave his no trade clause is, because after next year, he is looking for his last big contract and the Dbacks are trying to reduce payroll and cannot afford to give it to him.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:41 PM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimpbot
Not while Sexson is available they won't. I think you'll find that Schilling will not come cheap, as the reason he is willing to wave his no trade clause is, because after next year, he is looking for his last big contract and the Dbacks are trying to reduce payroll and cannot afford to give it to him.
Trust me. He will come cheaper than Pettitte. Big contract or not. As I said I would love tosee him in Pinstripes.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:11 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Word has it that the Yankees want to avoid giving up Soriano to get Schilling, and I think it would be smart to avoid giving up one of the games's most talented young players for an aging pitcher.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 06:56 AM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Word has it that the Yankees want to avoid giving up Soriano to get Schilling, and I think it would be smart to avoid giving up one of the games's most talented young players for an aging pitcher.
There is no way that they would trade Soriano for Schilling. I could see them doing it if it involved mostly prospects and Nick Johnson. Not Soriano. He has too much potential to trade for a guy with 2 good years left in his arm.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:14 AM   #8
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't trade Soriano for Schilling either. But if another team was willing to give up their young ace pitcher for Soriano, I probably would think other wise.

As of Schilling coming to the Yanks, i'll take that anyday. But I wouldn't give up young talent for the aging pitcher.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 05:55 PM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'm all for it.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:53 PM   #10
rocketman
Sports Enthusiast

rocketman is on a distinguished road

I hope he ends up back in Philly. A fitting end to a great career.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 01:24 AM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

The best thing about this is that Schilling doesn't want to play in New York at all. Even if the Yankees got the trade together, Schilling told them the only way he would go is if he got 50 million over 3 years. Which the Yankees aren't going to pay at all.

If the Phillies come up with the right deal, he'll wind up in Philly this season or next season when he is a free agent.

I was getting worried when Schilling ok'd the talks with the Yankees. Good to see that he was just ****ing with 'em.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote