Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 01-17-2004, 06:56 AM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default Dany Heatley

The time is getting closer and closer as Dany Heatley looks to get back on the ice and play his first NHL game since that horrible accident. You look at Atlanta though and the way this team has played for the most part without Heatley, this team will only get better when he comes back. As part of the wacky seedings the NHL uses, if the Trashers can win the Southeast Division they'd finish third place overall. I think this team can do a lot of potential damage in the playoffs regardless of who they play.

Kovalchuk, Savard, McEachern & Kozlov have been pretty outstanding and once you throw Heatley in that mix this team all of a sudden looks legit to me. What does everybody else think?
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I competely agree. Atlanta has been a strong team without Heatley all season in the very weak south division and with him returning to the ice this team can suddenly become very dangerous. With 2 of the best young players in the game Atlanta will be a tough out in the play offs.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

they may win the first round this year, but not much more 'till Nurminen gets some experience
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road

I doubt that the thrashers would make much of an imprint in the playoffs. Without depth on Offense and Defense and suspect goaltending and a total lack of experience in the playoffs you have to wonder if they'll even get past the first round.

But it is nice to see them on the other end of the standings instead of being in last place..
Old 01-18-2004, 11:45 PM   #5
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

I like what the Thrashers have... same as I like the Panthers. These teams have the potential (if they can keep their players) to do some damage.

Oh... if they're still in the ATL in two years

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:08 AM   #6
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Loser
Without depth on Offense and Defense and suspect goaltending and a total lack of experience in the playoffs you have to wonder if they'll even get past the first round.
Are you sure about that lack of offensive depth? Atlanta leads the Eastern Confrence in team goals with 134 and are third overall in the NHL. As soon as Heatley returns those numbers will go sky high. The biggest concern will be goaltending, but so far Pasi Nurminen has proven to be an average starter while Byron Dafoe has been getting some starts lately.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote