Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 01-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Just Nature or God's Judgement?

This is a good debate. Was God responsible for creating that devastating earthquake and tsunami that killed over 150,000 people a few weeks ago?

Why would God kill so many people? Were they evil or is it just natural for disasters to happen. Like depleting an overpopulated world. Nature's way of not overcrowding the earth.

But I've noticed one thing over the years. It seems most disasters happen in third world nations or nations that aren't Christian as a whole.

Like Japan and China have bad earthquakes all the time. Iran had a bad one a couple of years ago. India always has these bad monsoons and floods killing thousands. Is God punishing these nations because they worship Idols or statues? Could be.

Besides 911 The U.S never suffers casulaties in the multiple thousands from disaster. The only one I know about was when Galveston was hit by that hurricane in 1900 and it killed about 6,000 people. It was Galveston wasn't it? No killer earthquakes or storms that kills ten of thousands. Why is that. We have major fault lines in California and New York going down the Mississippi River.

Going back to third world countries-Look how Africa has suffered from tribes wiping out tribes-all the genocide that goes on there. These nations are not Christian. Japan is not Christian. Nor China, Indonesia, Thailand or India. Strange it always happens to them.

You never see England, Spain, France, Australia, USA, Ireland hit by major disasters. One exception was the Bubonic plague that hit Europe hundreds of years ago.

I tell u the USA is really blessed, but as we continue to turn from God u will see more disasters in the USA. I guarantee it. I hope not, but I bet it happens.

God takes care of his people as long as his people honor him.

As for Israel suffering-Why? They deny Jesus Christ as the Son of God. Look how Russia has suffered over the years-they use to be a Godless society. These Middle East countries suffer because they don't believe in the true God.

You say how can God kill all these children? Not saying he is, but it may be that one day these children will grow up and not worship the true God.

Now I'm not for sure God is punishing anyone, but he sure made unbelievers suffer in the Old testament. He wiped out men, women, children and their animals were living so wickedly.

You may say I'm crazy, but look at all the nations that recognize Jesus as the Son of God.

Compare them carefully to all other nations.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

That was one of the most sickening things I've ever read.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Wow bama, you bring up a very good point. I consider myself to be a fairly religous person, but I never even thought of the tsunami as an act of God or being done by evil. But I am going to have to say that this is was just a natural disaster that had devistating results.

Ok, now just think about all of the hurricanes that hit the US ever. The reason why we don't have death tolls in the thousands is because we are better prepared and have better protection (better houses and what not). I'm sure that if a tsunami hit the US that there would have been deaths, but with better standing houses and possible being informed before it happened, that many more lives would have been saved. This same idea of hurricanes can be carried over to eathquakes: the US has better structures that stand up during earthquakes.

You bring up a good point about how these horrible disasters happen in third-world countries, but the fact that they are "third-world" countries is the reason why so many people die.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Words fail me. Ask God for forgiveness for writing something as awful and JUDGEMENTAL like this. I really hope you are in for a tremendous shock when you die.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein

Last edited by KevinBeane; 01-09-2005 at 07:01 PM.
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I like most of your posts, Bama, but this one's waaay too far out there to even remotely consider even if just to play "Devils advocate".

Divine "cleansing"??? Not a chance.....
Old 01-09-2005, 07:03 PM   #6
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

Woah, I just finished reading the rest of you post bama. This was a lot sicker than I though. I stopped halfway through to write my response. I guess I should have read the whole thing before post because your idea sickens me more than I thought.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #7
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

To help him out a little, bama does bring up good factual evidence.

If those are his beliefs, I am not going to tear him down for it. He can say what ever he wants, even though I don’t think I have ever agree with him about anything.

This is why I do not believe in organized religion and I think it is evil. When people get together and label them selves as “Christian” or “Jewish” or whatever religion they are, all it is giving people another stupid reason to hate each other and put labels on each other. We are all human beings and to me that is the bottom line.

That said, I do think that your (Bama) post is terrible, but you can believe what you want.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Ellis, he doesn't bring up good factual evidence and his stance jumps.

First it's all about the natural disastors, then he mentions tribes taking out tribes in Africa. Then mentions Europe and ignores Hitler (relevent because he establishes genocide as a disaster in the previous paragraph) and the Irish potato famine (higher death toll than the tsunami).

Quote:
As for Israel suffering-Why? They deny Jesus Christ as the Son of God. Look how Russia has suffered over the years-they use to be a Godless society. These Middle East countries suffer because they don't believe in the true God.
He says this while completely ignoring the violence in the UK from organizations such as the IRA.

He hand picked a couple things and passed them on as facts.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Agree with Doug.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

The funny thing is, most people don't pay any mind to GOD unless they are suffering. When someone is suffering that is usually when people seek the lord. When things get better people usually fall back into their ways until they suffer again.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:46 PM   #11
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

88 thats a crapload that you didn't read the second half. You just didn't want to look like an idiot after reading what doug, Kevin, and Tarkus had to say. The 1st half of the post is the same as the second its just that the second half he actully states that God kills who does not worship him.
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:02 PM   #12
JayS
Sports Enthusiast

JayS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird
88 thats a crapload that you didn't read the second half. You just didn't want to look like an idiot after reading what doug, Kevin, and Tarkus had to say. The 1st half of the post is the same as the second its just that the second half he actully states that God kills who does not worship him.
I was thinking that same exact thing. Unless you stopped at 'this is a good debate', you're just covering your ass. That's kind of funny.. like spelling 'resolutions' like 'revolutions' 4 times in one post and then calling it a spelling error.

You have the right to believe what you want. Basically every area has had its problems, you just looked at a select few.
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #13
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

OK well I don't give a **** what the **** you think because this is a message board so you can just **** off JayS and gconn.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:19 PM   #14
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

ouch, we caught ya. no hard feelings. I've been getting picked on for some pretty stupid things latly also.
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

jhuerbin88 — cool down or this thread is going to get closed.

Natural disasters happen everywhere. From hurricanes in the U.S. to tsunamis in Asia. I don't think God wishes harm on anybody.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote