Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-22-2005, 02:49 AM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Titans Titanic Cuts....

These weren't just cuts but surgery. Talk about makin' some serious cap space all in one fell swoop.

On one hand it makes sense but on the other.....shocking nonetheless.....

Excerpt:

Carter, Rolle, Mason among Titans' deep cuts

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Receiver Derrick Mason and cornerback Samari Rolle were among six players released Monday by the Tennessee Titans in an effort to cut up to $27 million to get under the NFL salary cap.

In addition to Mason and Rolle, the Titans released starting defensive lineman Kevin Carter and right tackle Fred Miller. They also cut fullback Robert Holcombe and kicker Joe Nedney.

Titans owner Bud Adams said everyone on the team knew this day was coming.

"At this point, I believe this is the best option for our franchise and know it will make us stronger for the future," Adams said in a statement. "To our fans, this is not an ending. I believe in this team and I look forward to seeing them grow."

General manager Floyd Reese said the Titans want to mimic Baltimore's approach to the salary cap - slash large salaries in one lump and, hopefully, limit any damage to one season.

"We're done manipulating. Now we're going to fix this," Reese said. .....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3411032
Old 02-22-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Yea Mason is the most suprising cut to me I guess they think Drew Bennett is the real deal and for there sake they better hope so because even with Norm Chow if they don't have any good recievers they are not going to go any where so I have no clue what they are doing.Carter doesn't suprise me to me he isn't that important. Rolle suprises me becuase there aren't many CB in the league better then him so it will be interesting to see where they go from here
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, they aren't huge suprises as it has been anticipated for a few days now. It is expected that Carter will re-sign with the Titans at a lower salary. They really did not have a choice they have to get down to the cap by March first. It is also expected that McNair is going to restructure his contract.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:07 AM   #4
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

Samari Rolle, name your price, son.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:52 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

I've always maintained that whoever is in charge of setting the dates for the schedule has an extremely sick mind. Now watch Tennessee's home game against San Francisco get scheduled for Week 17.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Samaria Rolle is a shut down corner and this may be a blessing for him because he is definatly going to be able to cash in with someone. I think that team maybe the Texans because Aaron Glenn is winding down and Rolle and Daunta Robinson would be an amazing 1-2 CB punch.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Or perhaps after two disasterous seasons at the CB position, the Kansas City Chiefs finally open up their checkbook for a shutdown corner.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

If only the Bears would take the Bull by the horns (no pun intended) & chase this one. Tillman & Rolle on the corners......Ahhhhhh.....
Old 02-23-2005, 07:15 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The Bears need to do something about that O-line first and foremost. Otherwise they will be going through another four QBs again next year. A 3.8 rushing average and 66 sacks is just not going to cut it in the NFL.

Also, now that I think about it don't be surprised if McNair calls it quits. No need for him to hang around for another year as it is quite apparent this team has no real chance of being in contention next season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!

Last edited by doublee; 02-23-2005 at 08:11 PM.
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote