Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 01-03-2005, 01:10 AM   #1
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road
Default No more late fees at Blockbuster.

http://www.blockbuster.com/nolatefees/index2.html

I wonder if I can return it 5 years late like at the library, when Wal Mart sells it for $5.00, return it

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 01-03-2005 at 01:53 AM.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Haha, I heard about this a few months ago. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Does North America need another reason to be lazy!?
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
MaddEnemy
Always next year

Quote:
Originally posted by lmanchur.
Does North America need another reason to be lazy!?
Yes!

Return at 12PM can be a *****!
Old 01-03-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
JayS
Sports Enthusiast

JayS is on a distinguished road

Read the fine print.. the deal isn't nearly as good as it seems. From what I've read so far, it's basically a gimmick so they can say 'no late fees'.
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:51 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

But, it's good enough. I had a movie due today at noon, was running half an hour late to get to work, so, I could happily and easily put it off till tomorrow, when I'll be driving by there on the way to pick up my wife and kid from the airport...

Dave
Old 01-03-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

I have to wonder something...what's to prevent someone from renting the movie or game and never returning it?
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
MaddEnemy
Always next year

Quote:
Originally posted by G-MenNMetsfan
I have to wonder something...what's to prevent someone from renting the movie or game and never returning it?
A: If you still have a movie or game seven (7) days after the due date shown on your receipt, we will convert your rental to a sale. The movie or game will be sold to you at the selling price in effect at the time of rental, which is either the retail price, or, when available, at the previously-rented selling price, less the initial rental fee you paid.

Ever go into Best Buy when a new DVD has been released? The price is around $16.99 give or take. Well last year I had $40.00 in Block Buster gift cards so I thought I buy some new movies, this is how the get you. $26.00 give or take for new movies but like I said this was a year ago.

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 01-03-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It's not really that revolutionary I used Netflix over the summer and was satisfied, but had to stop for college. Now, of course, Blockbuster has gotten into DVD rental by mail and is cheaper than Netflix, so I doubt Netflix will ultimately survive (they are the pioneers). But the biggest threat to Blockbuster has to be movies on demand by cable and satellite companies.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

I'd actually say the biggest threat to Blockbuster, and all video stores, is the low prices that DVD's are being released at now.

Would you rather spend $4 on a rental (unless you're like me and it's more like $12 after late fees), or go to Wal-Mart and spend $18 to buy the movie.

Video Rental companies still have a distinct advantage over cable and satalite companies in that they get the initial release. You can get a new release at Blockbuster weeks before it shows up on TV anywhere. Or you can go buy it.

And, uh, back on point...I love the new policy. I'm always about five days late, so this will work out nicely for me.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:12 PM   #10
JayS
Sports Enthusiast

JayS is on a distinguished road

So from what I've seen the deal is basically they've extended it to seven-day rentals rather than the previous five-day rentals.

After seven days they charge you for the entire movie. I think within 30 days you can take it back and the will de-charge you for the movie... but charge you tax and a 'restocking fee' (for an unspecified amount of money). Sorta sounds like a... late fee?
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, for me it depends on the movie as to whether I will buy the DVD without having already seen the movie. I am more inclined, for most movies, to rent it first or see it on PPV before dropping 20 bucks on the DVD.

Another threat is PPV with the Video on Demand functionality. Why go to Blockbuster when you can spend the same amount on a movie and not have to leave the house? Movies are generally on PPV before they come out on video.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'm with you, doublee, on the rent it first, with some exceptions.

And PPV is kind of a threat. I think it's more of a threat to the adult video market than it is to the regular video market.

I love On Demand, and use the free components my cable company offers liberally. But, still... sometimes you just want to get out of the house. Or want a wider variety of choices than On Demand currently can provide.

Also, On Demand takes it on the chin with Blockbuster's reducing the return date strictness: You've only got a 24-hour block during which to watch your rental. What happens if your mom's boyfriend calls needing a tow, you go to pull him out of ditch, he takes you to a bar as payment, the two of you get drunk and drive to Vermont for the ski bunnies, not realizing till you've run out of gas just how far Vermont is, and have to hike back home, returning home just as your OD rental expires.

If you'd rented from Blockbuster, hell with gettin' sidetracked, you've got it for a week, if you want.

Dave
Old 01-04-2005, 04:17 AM   #13
Scott
Rookie Player

Scott is on a distinguished road

I've used Netflix for over a year and the service has been great. I recommend it.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote