Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 03-12-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default Any D-Ray Fans Out There?

We have to stick together! We may even finish above .500 this year. Wishful thinking?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:38 AM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I can see the D'Rays having a decent season this year. Unfortunately for them, they are in a really tough division. I like the players they have at every position. They can contend with the team they have, with some luck and experience.
Their outfield is among the best in baseball, potentially, and their infield is as well. They have a weakness in the bullpen, but many teams do. I wish Baldelli hadn't hurt himself, who knows how he'll come back from it. I give the D'Rays a shot at contending in a couple of seasons if they can keep the nucleus together -- Baldelli, Crawford, Huff.
Definitely a team on the rise.
Welcome to the boards.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
themush
Banned

Thanks for the welcome catman. I think Baldelli's days here are numbered. He's been hurt the last couple of years and the Rays NEED PITCHING. He might get dealt for a #2 or #3 pitcher.
The biggest hurdle the Rays have is Vince Namoli. DRays spent 31MM on payrole this year. Guess how much they received from revenue sharing last year? Yup, exactly 31MM. I'm not saying open up 200MM but, got to spend more if they want to see any improvement. CC and Huff are the present and future for the Rays.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

From what I have read the D-Rays are seriously considering moving Huff as well. There were rumors that the Rays were taking offers but no significant offers ever materialized. I think he is due a significant pay bump or is arbitration eligible after this season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
themush
Banned

Huff, will demand more $$$, as he should. He is the best offensive player on the Rays, and could be on most teams. This is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post. The Rays and Namoli HAVE to loosen the purse string, alot. CC and Huff are great examples of how to develop and start a nucleus around young players.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, but the problem as I understand it is the money just is not there for the D-Rays right now. I seem to remember that MLB had to cover the team's payroll checks a couple of years back while the team scrambled to secure more financing. It is tough to spend the money to keep players when they are consistently at the bottom of the attendance numbers every year. Luckily for them the team showed signs of life last year and they did see a nice bump in attendance now let's see if they can do it again this year and maybe be able to bump payroll a bit as a result.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
themush
Banned

The Rays haven't "spent" any money the last 2 years. They use what they get back from the revenue sharing. Namoli and the Rays made a crapload of money off the team last year and, as of yet, haven't invested that money back into the team.

As for the attendence, there is NO peason to not go to the games. It takes 10mins from St. Pete, 20mins from S. Tampa, and maybe 30 mins from N. Tampa. I beleive the Rays fans will have more "motivation" to go to the games this year as the Rays will be even better then last year,
Old 03-14-2005, 01:06 AM   #8
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

No one finished the sentance? I will..

Any D-Rays fans out there.... I hope not.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:10 AM   #9
themush
Banned

Dice, not everyone is a front runner. Let me guess: B.Sox, Pats, and Pistons...??
Old 03-14-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

Twins. Besides, good or bad I stay behind my teams because of how they run themselves.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #11
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

goody for you, diceman! Not all of us are as lucky as you to have a team whose owners actually CARE about putting a competitive product on the field consistently.......

GO RAYS!!!!
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #12
themush
Banned

It's about freaking time!!!!!

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Devil Rays sent a strong message to their fans Friday by signing All-Star left fielder Carl Crawford to a six-year contract.
The Devil Rays held a press conference Friday afternoon to announce that the agreement -- which has a potential value of more than $31 million -- includes two one-year club options covering the 2009 and 2010 seasons, Crawford's first two years of potential free agency
-mlb.com

Finally, the Rays spend some money to secure a part of the future. Now they need to turn their attention to Rocco and Huff. Maybe they are finally figuring out this ownership thing.

Crawford turns right around a pledges a donation of $400,000 to the Rays of Hope Foundation. The foundation helps with children developement, welfare, and eduaction. Who does want someone like that playing for them?
Old 04-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Hopefully this not some cruel April Fool's joke. :lol:
Old 04-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #14
themush
Banned

How pissed would I be?
Old 04-01-2005, 07:52 PM   #15
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I would wait on Baldelli before locking him up long term. The Rays should see how he bounces back from injury and if he can put up consistent numbers. Except for home runs, all of his numbers dropped in 2004 from 2003.