Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 03-15-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default The HipHop/Rap Thread

I know there has to be some hiphop/rap heads here, so let's get some discussion going (rather then the...well, to put it honestly, boring topics and threads here lately).

What are some of your top albums and artists out there? What are your top tracks? Anybody into the underground scene at all?

Who's the greatest emcee of all time? In my mind, no doubt, it has to be the lyrically acclaimed Notorious B.I.G (RIP). Biggie could flow with the sound of any beat and lyrically had the advantage over any emcee ever. Tracks like "Juicy", "Everyday Struggle" & "Sky's The Limit" are just awesome flow tracks. If only Biggie were still around, shame his life was cut short.

After Biggie died the king of NYC label was passed on to Nas, who has put out some of the best albums ever. It pisses me off that Nas doesn't get the recognition he deserves. His work is far better then Jay-Z's and yet nobody talks about Nas. But then again, that's what makes Nas more superior. You don't see Nas getting involved in the commercialized rap scene. I don't dislike Jay-Z, i like his material too, but the king of NYC is Nas. I put Nas right behind Biggie. "Stillmatic" and "Illmatic" are two of the best albums ever.

I have to mention Eminem and 2Pac as well. Eminem's "Marshall Mathers LP" is one of my favorite CD's. "Stan" is one of the deepest songs I've ever listened to, and Eminem has put out so many other good tracks (he's had some bad ones though, like most of the songs from Encore...but his old stuff makes up for this). But, you have to appreciate Eminem for the number of topics and issues he's covered in his songs. On top of this, Eminem comes out and says what's on his mind, whether it's his rough childhood or him feeling like bashing homosexuality. Eminem says it.

2Pac (RIP) is and will forever be considered one of the greatest. No question he was, but I don't regard him as best ever. There are so many things I admired about 2Pac. His dedication and commitment to his music was unbelievable. How often he worked and recorded rhymes is amazing, he truly was a workhorse. This is evident to all the recorded material he still has coming out. Another thing was passion, nobody could match the passion in they're rhymes like 2Pac. Whether it was his beef with Biggie in "Hit 'Em Up" or his other side with songs like "Dear Mama" & "Life Goes On". There was only one Tupac Shakur, his memory will always live on in his music.

Other artists I want to put out on the table: Ma$e (one of my all time faves as well, "Harlem World" is an AWESOME CD, would have been HUGE if he stayed in the scene), Rakim (sadly not a lot of boderline rap fans even know who this guy is - only another seriously talented flower), N.W.A (the best rap group ever as far as I'm concerned, these guys are just sweet).

I'll leave it at that for now.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Right now I think the biggest name in rap/hiphop is 50cent. "Get Rich or Die Tryin" was huge and I just read "Massacre" sold 1,000,000 copies in a week. He has "it" whatever "it" is.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Yea, rap is in a sad state when 50 Cent is the considered the best rapper (Eminem hasn't put out a record in a while).

I like Tupac the most, Nas, Talib Kweli, Eminem and a few others.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:41 AM   #4
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

I'm not sold on 50 Cent. Reason why he's the biggest name is because, really, who else is out there right now? 50 doesn't have any sense of flow, and I'm not huge on G-Unit either.

Actually, i listened to The Game's newest CD "The Documentary" and I was pretty impressed. A lot better than I thought it'd be.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:51 AM   #5
themush
Banned

The Doc isn't bad at all. 50 doesn't have any sense of flow? I don't know about that comment? I'm not a big rap/hiphop fan but, I know enough about most genres of music to know a good artist when I hear one.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:45 AM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Personally I'm waiting for this Will Smith album that has his response to Eminem knocking him in a rap a couple years ago.

Fresh Prince > Em
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:50 AM   #7
themush
Banned

Doug, lmao.... keep holding your breath. Wait... don't, you probably have a family that cares about you.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:14 AM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

He says he did the song already, so I shouldn't have to wait too long.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:31 AM   #9
themush
Banned

Now I'm curious. Where did you get this info? Don't get me wrong I think Smith is alright, I just don't see him getting into a verbal exchange (battle) with Eminem.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:41 AM   #10
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by themush
The Doc isn't bad at all. 50 doesn't have any sense of flow? I don't know about that comment? I'm not a big rap/hiphop fan but, I know enough about most genres of music to know a good artist when I hear one.
50's flow isn't nothing special, he mumbles his words in all his raps and lyrically he's weak. He's big in the scene right now thanks to Dre & Eminem giving him the opportunity and the fact that the scene as a whole is weak right now.

Doug...yes, it's true mush. Smith said he did a song for Eminem on his new album. Personally, i don't mind Will Smith, but he doesn't have anything on Eminem. Smith wouldn't stand a chance in a battle.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #11
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Biggie couldn't hold Rakim's jock when it comes to rhyming. Infact, I wouldn't even put Biggie in my top 5 or maybe even top 10.

I stopped buying vinal in 2001 when I sold most of my music collection and my Technics 1210's to help fund some house buying. Back then I was buying 90% of all the new stuff that was coming out, but now wouldn't touch 90% of it. Hip Hop has just gotten stale for me. The southern rap thing was just starting to get big when I bailed and I didn't like that stuff then and I don't really care for it now either. I'd still listen to some classic Big Daddy Kane, KRS1 or some Rakim over these guys any day.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimpbot
Biggie couldn't hold Rakim's jock when it comes to rhyming. Infact, I wouldn't even put Biggie in my top 5 or maybe even top 10.

I stopped buying vinal in 2001 when I sold most of my music collection and my Technics 1210's to help fund some house buying. Back then I was buying 90% of all the new stuff that was coming out, but now wouldn't touch 90% of it. Hip Hop has just gotten stale for me. The southern rap thing was just starting to get big when I bailed and I didn't like that stuff then and I don't really care for it now either. I'd still listen to some classic Big Daddy Kane, KRS1 or some Rakim over these guys any day.
Woah...wouldn't put Biggie in your top 5, even top 10!? I'm sorry, i don't buy that. I'm curious as to who you'd put ahead of him then, because I can't even think of anybody other than the people I've already mentioned, and they aren't on Biggie's level.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #13
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

IMO Biggie was a sloppy rhymer. Did you ever hear him live?. he was awful. Also, he was a terrible freestyler, as I remember a tape I had of him when he appeared on the Westwood radio show back in the U.K. and he was way off. I had a lot of Biggie records and tracks like "I shot ya" and "Dreams of f****** an RnB B****" are classics. But I think due to his untimely demise, some people tend to rank him alongside all time hip hop royalty.

Here is a short list of the people who I would rank ahead of him in rhyming skill, in no perticular order. I could come up with more if I wasn't at work right now. Maybe I'll consult some of my old music lists later.

Rakim
KRS1
Chuck D
Nas
Eminem
Big Daddy Kane
2pac
LL's early stuff like Rock the Bells, It gets no rougher and Mama said.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:16 PM   #14
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Doug...yes, it's true mush. Smith said he did a song for Eminem on his new album. Personally, i don't mind Will Smith, but he doesn't have anything on Eminem. Smith wouldn't stand a chance in a battle.
In a head to head battle, maybe. But that is just one aspect of rap/hip-hop. I dunno, I'll take those albums Fresh Prince did in the late 80s over what Eminem is doing. Also, I'd say Fresh Prince's best work, Summertime, is better than anything Eminem has ever done.

I don't particularly consider Eminem a good rapper. So I'm not throwing Fresh Prince out for best rapper ever. Just don't want that confused. I could probably name 100 rappers better than Eminem. Eminem is successful purely because he is white. He was the first white rapper after Tupac/Snoop/Dre/Biggie really crossed rap over to white folks. People flocked to him because of that.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:29 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Best ever has to be 2Pac, then possibly Biggie. However, my favorite all-time and currently, BY FAR, is Jay-Z. I don't care if he is commercialized and getting into the business side (he's the CEO of Def Jam Records as of December 2004), he is a NYC rapper (my preference) and has a wide appeal while being very talented lyrically. No one else can do mixes with the people he's worked with, from Lenny Kravitz to Mariah Carey and R. Kelly.

I have 133 songs by Hova and my goal is to own all of his songs. As for Nas, he's all right, but doesn't have the spark Jay has. He puts out good songs and albums, but not as often as Jay. I love the "Takeover" diss of Nas, as well. Anyone know where to get video/audio of Jay-Z/Nas battles? I'd love to see that.

Bottom line is that Jay-Z is the greatest rapper alive and top-five all-time because of his staying power and pure talent. I just love his style of a "crisp pair of jeans and button up," few rappers can pull off going onstage in a suit and rapping. He doesn't front like so many rappers, he doesn't try to be overly gangsta or hood rich. He is what he is: real and the best rapper alive.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote