Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 11-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default Santana to the Redsox??

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...icleid=1046361

It is no secret that the Twins will shop Santana before the season starts. Rumor has it they would like to unload him now and get more value then wait till the July 31st deadline.

If Santana does stay with Minnesota this season then you gotta believe the Yankees will pay him anything he wants once he becomes a free agent.

Quote:
Indications are that the Twins have already inquired about center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury and right-hander Clay Buchholz, plus other top prospects.

A more realistic package, perhaps, would have Coco Crisp filling Minnesota’s hole in center field that free agent Torii Hunter left behind and one of two top starting prospects, Buchholz or lefty Jon Lester, entering the mix. The Sox would likely have to include at least one other proven major league talent, plus one, more likely two, other minor leaguers. The Twins are known to be high on Crisp.

One major league source familiar with the Sox’ thinking said that a package of both Buchholz and Lester, or one of those pitchers and Ellsbury, would be “way too rich” for the team to part with. .
I would like to see Santana with the Redsox - especially with Schilling out the door next season. I could live with losing Lester or Bucholtz along with Crisp. No way can they throw Ellsbury in the deal... that kid's gonna be something special in CF.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

New York really needs this guy. Hitting is not their problem. They need a for sure ace.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

If Boston gets Santana, they could become a dynasty and the Yankees frustration will continue. Santana is that good.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Question about Santana...Twins offered him 5 years/93 and the only thing I read is that Santana countered with 126mill. Any idea if that 126 is over 7 years? I find it hard to believe he'd ask for 5/126, but I'm not seeing any years marked anywhere. But, I mean, if the Twins are offering 5/93, that's 18mill per year, so I have to think they're close enough to signing him.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

That's a laughably bad column by the Herald. If Sox fans think Buchholz, Ellsbury and Crisp will get a trade done they're dreaming.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
That's a laughably bad column by the Herald. If Sox fans think Buchholz, Ellsbury and Crisp will get a trade done they're dreaming.
Buchholz, Ellsbury, Crisp sounds like a good starting point for a Santana trade, not too sure why it's laughable. Those are the two top prospects for the Red Sox that have both gotten some MLB experience. The Twins for some reason are said to be high on Crisp, which I don't get, but if it's true, that's not a bad package for Santana. If Santana wants 25mill per season, you've just reduced his destinations to about 3, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, maybe Cubs. And with the Yankees re-signing ARod, I can't imagine that they would be in for Santana.

I personally think that if Santana is asking for 25 mill per season that it is way too much to pay with Ellsbury and Crisp. It has to be keep Ellsbury if they're giving up Buchholz, I would imagine. It's just way too much to give up Ellsbury and Crisp as they want Ellsbury to be CF long term.

You have a situation with Santana where you won't have many bidders and you'll know that they have to move him. Then you add in to the situation that the Orioles may trade Bedard. If they do trade him, that hurts Santana because one of the teams that would be in for Santana would likely bow out and go for Bedard.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
You have a situation with Santana where you won't have many bidders and you'll know that they have to move him. Then you add in to the situation that the Orioles may trade Bedard. If they do trade him, that hurts Santana because one of the teams that would be in for Santana would likely bow out and go for Bedard.
Santana will have plenty of bidders but most of them won't be reasonable. Minnesota holds all the cards. They can trade Santana now, in July or let him walk next year and pick up two first-round picks.

When Josh Beckett was traded he had some serious questions about him. The Marlins came away with an elite prospect (Hanley Ramirez), a very good prospect (Anibal Sanchez) and a couple good prospects. There were a couple of other players thrown into the mix (Guillermo Mota and Mike Lowell, who turned out to be more than a throw away).

So a great starter with injury issues nets an elite, very good and good prospect. According to reports the Red Sox are offering two very good prospects and a good inexpensive CF. It'd be the equivalent of the Mariners trading Adam Jones, Brandon Morrow and Jeff Clement for the best pitcher in the game. That would be a better deal than what Boston is offering and IMO still a crappy deal for Minnesota.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

The huge difference between Beckett and Santana is that Santana wants a ton of money and a ton of years. Beckett certainly had a lot more teams interested in trading for him. I'm not sure how you can say Minnesota holds all the cards in this situation, I just don't see it. I mean, certainly if you put Beckett/Santana into isolated situations, Minnesota should get more back than Beckett got the Marlins, but in reality, it doesn't work that way.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

That's true about the money but his contract wouldn't be unreasonable. #3 starters are getting $10 million/year deals. But his sure to be record deal and Santana's no-trade clause certainly dampers things.

Minnesota does hold all the cards. Worst-case scenario they take two first-round picks. From now until the end of July they can wait (and hope Johan doesn't get injured of course).

Old 11-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

The hard part to really gauge this is what Santana is asking for right now. If he's asking for around 18-20 and 7 years, then I think a deal would be very reasonable, but if he's asking for 25 mill per season like some reports indicate, that really limits the amount of trading partners Minnesota would have.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #11
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

I read somewhere the Twins offered 93/5. Obviously Santana is looking at Zito's contract (thank you San Francisco......) as a starting point.

And the cost of pitching just went up. Francisco Cordero signs with the Reds. 46/4 with a fifty year option that can make the contract worth $57 million. Yikes.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

I might have to rethink Buchholz as a very good prospect and consider him elite. I'll have do some more research. But I definitely don't think Ellsbury is an elite prospect. He might develop into a great player but there's a dozen position players in the minors I'd want before him.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:55 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, the Twins offer was for 4 more years at 80mill for those 4 and the 13.5 or whatever Santana is owed for next year. Then he came back with something like 126 mill. Which, if over 7 years, I think the sides will come to a deal, but if it's over 5 years it comes to like 25mill per year, which I think is too much. Buchholz and Ellsbury from what I've read about the Red Sox are their top two prospects. Both got MLB time this year, Buchholz even tossing a no-hitter. I would imagine other teams have better prospects, but if Santana is asking for 22mill per year+ I'm not sure how many of those teams that do have really stocked farm systems are going to go after Santana.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
I would like to see Santana with the Redsox - especially with Schilling out the door next season. I could live with losing Lester or Bucholtz along with Crisp. No way can they throw Ellsbury in the deal... that kid's gonna be something special in CF.
If Ellsbury is what it takes then you do it. It is so much easier to find and develop OF talent than it is to get your hands on a bona fide stud left handed starter.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
Question about Santana...Twins offered him 5 years/93 and the only thing I read is that Santana countered with 126mill. Any idea if that 126 is over 7 years? I find it hard to believe he'd ask for 5/126, but I'm not seeing any years marked anywhere. But, I mean, if the Twins are offering 5/93, that's 18mill per year, so I have to think they're close enough to signing him.
It is not entirely about the money with Santana. He started popping off in the media questioning whether the Twins were truly committed to building a championship caliber franchise. I think he would be perfectly happy signing for what the Twins offered if it were coming from Boston or New York because he knows they are committed to trying to win every year. He kind of feels as though the Twins do everything on the cheap and don't make a concerted effort to hang onto the quality talent it has. I am sure losing Hunter is only exacerbating the issue.

The thing with Beckett is that the Marlins were looking to dump him to the highest bidder and they were probably going to have to take slightly less than market value for him just so they could unload Lowell on someone.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote