Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Obama supports charter schools...

Obama vows to double funding for charter schools

RIVERSIDE, Ohio – Barack Obama promised Tuesday to double funding for charter schools, pay teachers based on performance and replace those who aren't up to the job, embracing education proposals normally more popular with Republican candidates.

The Democratic presidential nominee says both parties must work together to improve education in a pitch to independent voters in this presidential election swing state, where the fight over education reform has been the focus of a longtime partisan battle. It was the first of two days that Obama was spending on education policy.

Days after Republican candidate John McCain talked up the idea of school choice at the GOP convention, Obama proposed to give parents more options, too — but not with a federal voucher program to pay for private schools, something McCain has supported. Instead, Obama seeks to create an array of new public schools.

Despite McCain's rhetoric, he is not proposing a federal voucher plan. Instead, he is proposing only to expand the voucher program in Washington, D.C.

The federal government spends about $200 million a year on charter schools, independently run institutions that receive public money. Obama's proposal would take that up to over $400 million.

Obama recognized that charter schools have been a source of debate in Ohio. Past Republican administrations used charter schools and private school vouchers to offer families a way out of troubled public schools. But Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland has been trying to scale back voucher programs to focus taxpayer money on more traditional public schools.

The Ohio Federation of Teachers has complained about the management of some charter schools, which has moved money away from the schools where its members work. The union has asked the Internal Revenue Service to investigate for-profit charter school operator White Hat Management for allegedly violating the terms of the tax-free status assigned to some of its schools.

"I'll work with all our nation's governors to hold all our charter schools accountable," Obama told an audience that included many educators and members of teachers unions. "Charter schools that are successful will get the support they need to grow. And charters that aren't will get shut down. I want experimentation, but I also want accountability."

While teachers unions typically oppose the idea of performance-based merit pay, Obama is embracing the idea along with demands that teachers who don't meet standards are removed from the classroom. Obama's campaign said teacher performance could be judged by peer review, student test results, classroom evaluations or other processes.

"One of the things we'll have to do, and this is something that I know sometimes is difficult, is teachers who are doing a poor job, they've got to get extra support," Obama said. "But if they don't improve, then they have be replaced. Because as good teachers are the first to tell you, if we're going to attract the best teachers to the profession, we can't settle for schools filled with teachers that aren't up to the job. That is something that we have to embrace."

AP Education Writer Libby Quaid in Washington contributed to this report.

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer Nedra Pickler, Associated Press Writer

http://news.yahoo.com/story/ap/20080...aP7nMTyPgb.3QA

First Reverend Wright now this.

This guy doesn't miss a beat when it comes to appeasing the few blacks with actual political/economic power (on the backs of the black poor they allegedly represent).

All at the cost of the inner cities.

Pathetic.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I understand the thought process behind the performance based pay for teachers, but I don't know how much I see it working in practice. I just don't know how the determination of good and bad gets made. I mean, we've seen determinations like that with No Child Left Behind and that's been fairly disastrous. Teachers affect students in many different ways. If it's going to happen, I do like the concept of peer review being included, rather than just rigid reliance on testing.

Overall, the need to expand charter schools and other experimentation type stuff just doesn't really strike me as a good way to go. We've had charter schools, vouchers, for a while now and what have we really seen? Charter Schools for profit especially seem to be troublesome in terms of the results of being successful with students. Vouchers is a huge other mess, that absolutely would be one thing where I would not vote for a candidate is where they supported vouchers.

It all just seems like methods to cut corners, take shortcuts or put bandaids over problems that people don't want to deal with.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote