Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

View Poll Results: Who will win, UGA or Auburn?
Auburn 2 22.22%
Georgia 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2003, 09:17 PM   #1
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road
Default Auburn or Georgia?

Who will win the oldest rivalry in the south? I am going to go with Auburn 21-13 over the Dawgs. Auburn better win because I'm going up to Athens and am looking forward to that game. I think I've got pretty good seats too. I believe they are in the corner of the endzone next to the Auburn band in the big Auburn section (thank God, I hate those UGA fans). Auburn will win because this is their last chance to salvage this season as being considered successful. The Auburn defense will get pressure on David Greene and sack him 5+ times. Greene will not play well, and the Auburn offense will throw the ball downfield and open it up a little bit. Also, I would not be surprised at all to see a few option plays thrown in there. Auburn isn't going to hold anything back. Also, the option was very successful last year against UGA win they ran it. Cadillac will have a big day with 150 and 2 TD's. It will be an emotional win (I hope). Auburn's success in Athens will continue making it 6 in a row in Athens, and 10 out of 11.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
h0kies4life87
Grizzled Veteran

h0kies4life87 is on a distinguished road

Georgia wins.
Tennessee Titans
h0kies4life87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:04 AM   #3
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Georgia. Auburn seems to have slipped back into their early season funk after a strong run in the SEC. Georgia's defense is too good.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:09 AM   #4
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Who knows who will win this game the way things are going in the SEC, but I chose Georgia as they actually still have a shot at going to the SEC title game.

Joey
Old 11-13-2003, 01:01 PM   #5
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I cant believe i am saying this, but i will take Auburn. UGA's o-line, already thin, has been plagued by injuries, as has the rest of the team. Key to stopping UGA, blitz blitz and blitz some more. Greene will be on his back most of the game, and if he goes out, no shockley to the rescue.

Although, if UGA proves me wrong, i wont be upset at all.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:33 PM   #6
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

You know, Georgia's another one of those once-highly ranked, overrated teams. They've been over hyped for the past two years now. I give the edge to Auburn, if they get the running game going, they should be in good shape.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:36 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Does this game really matter? WVU-Pitt is on at the same time..

Dave
Old 11-13-2003, 04:53 PM   #8
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

At the beginning of the season, who would have ever thought WVU vs. Pitt would have the same meaning if not more meaning than a matchup between Auburn and UGA?

Joey
Old 11-13-2003, 05:06 PM   #9
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

West Virginia vs. Pitt doesn't come close to this game. Hell, WVU vs. Pitt is a Big East (a BASKETBALL-ONLY conference) game and it isn't even a rivalry, and Auburn and UGA could be better than both of those teams. You do not understand the meaning of this game to the fans of AU and UGA, especially for Auburn fans after last year's game. It is a HUGE rivalry game. Pitt vs. WVU means nothing at all. It's a joke to compare the games. Big East football is a joke, that's why Miami, VA Tech, and Boston College are leaving it.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:31 PM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by tigereyes33
West Virginia vs. Pitt doesn't come close to this game. Hell, WVU vs. Pitt is a Big East (a BASKETBALL-ONLY conference) game and it isn't even a rivalry, and Auburn and UGA could be better than both of those teams. You do not understand the meaning of this game to the fans of AU and UGA, especially for Auburn fans after last year's game. It is a HUGE rivalry game. Pitt vs. WVU means nothing at all. It's a joke to compare the games. Big East football is a joke, that's why Miami, VA Tech, and Boston College are leaving it.
West Viriginia is Pitt's biggest rival now that Penn State doesn't play them anymore (one knock I have against JoePa). It's BS to say that this game doesn't mean more than Auburn/Georgia. Yes, UGA/AU have the "Deep South's Oldest Rivalry" but the "Backyard Brawl" will have a big time impact on the outcome of the Big East. Right now Florida and Ole Miss would be duking it out for the SEC championship. Meanwhile West Virginia is tied for 2nd in the conference with the 'canes and Pitt is first. Since he UGA/AU game is on at 3:30 I'll probably watch that game anyway. However, if these two games were overlapping WVU/Pitt would be my first choice in games to watch.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:47 PM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

33, it's been a long while since I've seen the need to take you to task for saying a bunch of stupid stuff... I've missed the opportunity...

You are wrong on so many levels, it makes me wanna puke, but I'm too busy laughing.

1. WVU-Pitt isn't called the Backyard Brawl because they like one another. It's a series that's been played 80-odd times, and has been played every year for 58 years and counting. The pure hate isn't palpable in Georgia, but it is in Morgantown, and it is in Pittsburgh.

2. WVU-Pitt has, by hook or crook, become a play for the Big East conference. Pitt wins, Pitt beats Miami, they win the conference and the BCS automatic bid. WVU wins, Pitt beats Miami, WVU wins the conference and the BCS automatic bid. This game means ALMOST EVERYTHING to both teams. Without it, neither have a prayer of winning the conference. Auburn stands NO chance of winning the SEC West, thanks to Obamanu, and hence, has no dog hunting in their game vs Georgia, except for pride. (And maybe Tuberville's job.)

3. You don't understand the meaning of this game to WVU and Pitt fans, especially after WVU went into Pitt's house last season and stole away the Big East #2 spot, a spot Pitt COULD have parlayed into the BCS bid, had they been able to overcome Miami.

4. I don't see any national title contenders coming from the SEC, either. What a puke-ass football conference that's turned out to be. All that BS about Auburn was proven completely false by a real title contender early-on. And Georgia... don't get me started on those f'in frauds.

5. All the better those a-holes leave the conference. It'll be a looooong time before the ACC OR the SEC challenge for a basketball title again. In fact, the Big East as a confernce is poised for basketball domination not seen since John Wooden's days at UCLA. The ACC won't make the Final Four for at least a decade, maybe longer, nevermind the toothless SEC basketball teams, who may be waiting twenty years or more before reaching a Final Four again...

6. Of the three new Big East football teams, they are 1-1 against your overrated overhyped oversold conference this year, both games on SEC soil.

7. I don't see much of a future there in Auburn, where a meaningless game against Georgia is suddenly end-all be-all. WVU and Pitt both have the sky as their limits in the Big East football conference. And don't forget Louisville, as consistently good a football team as there is in the SEC West.

You're right, 33, it IS a joke to compare Georgia-Auburn to WVU-Pitt. You ain't got nothin' on the Backyard Brawl and sofa burnin'...

Dave
Old 11-13-2003, 06:30 PM   #12
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

All I can say is... West Virginia football...LOL!!!!!!!!!
And the sky would be the limit for Auburn too if they were in the Big East, along with most other teams in the nation. Auburn vs. UGA is and always will be bigger than Pitt vs. WVU.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:55 PM   #13
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I would take West Virginia over Auburn. Auburn is probably the most inconsistant team I've seen all year.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:06 PM   #14
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

dhav8706 is on a distinguished road

Wow 33, you are overratting your UGA-Auburn rivalry a ton. Until this year i had no idea it was even a rivalry. Auburn is rivals with Alabama, thats the game that i look on the schedule and say, theres the rivalry. I consider the Georgia Florida rivalry more important than this game. The Backyard Brawl is a much better rivalry. And this year it has more meaning than ever. It will play a huge part on the big east championship, unlike your game, which only has meaning for one team (Georgia) in terms of BCS chances, and they aren't likely to make it regardless. West Virginia has a chance to ruin the Panthers dream season, and what storyline does your game have. I will be watching Pittsburgh West Virginia. No doubt there. By the way, West Virginia Auburn would be a very close game. Auburn is too inconsistant for you to be able to laugh at any team. Keep in mind, you lost to Georgia Tech, a team with the same record as West Virginia, by 14. Your head is a little too big right now for your 6-4 Auburn Tigers.
dhav8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:15 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Add to that, OhioStaters, that WVU is on a positive run right now (4 wins in a row), and the Tigers have dropped two of the last three when the chips were down and their chances in conference still existed...

Dave