Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Michael Irvin Arrested

Sounds like Irvin hasn't kicked his drug habits after all:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2238758

I wonder how much longer he remains with ESPN.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Was he on the show this morning?

Irvin never had much credibility with me anyway, being a Cowpoke, but his stance on his buddy T.O. where he clearly forgot he is now a journalist/TV pundit, made me dislike him even more.

Last edited by Pimpbot; 11-27-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Pimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, he was on this morning. Interestingly enough I don't think this hit the wire until this afternoon. At least I didn't see or hear anything about it yesterday. It will be interesting to see if he is on Monday Night Countdown tomorrow night.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:57 PM   #4
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

I never thought he was off drugs anyway, just figured he got better at hiding it
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

If you read the updated story he is pulling the old Randy Moss/Carmelo Anthony it's not mine routine. He claims it is a friend of his that he is trying to help beat addiction.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

He will be on ESPN monday night countdown tonight according to CNNSI.com. Irvin claims he had the pipe in the car for a friend who he was trying to help out, after leaving rehab. He put it there to keep it away from his kids. Hmmm
Old 11-28-2005, 12:16 PM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

If you believe Irvin's story, then I own a matching pair of 110-story buildings in Lower Manhattan that I'd be happy to sell you at a reasonable price.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

most of them don't sadly.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:23 PM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Did he just make the most recent HOF cut? If so, wonder if this has an effect on it.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Freakin' Irvin. Lay off the pipe. Or at least stay away from folks that smoke the stuff.

Expect Irvin to give a big apology on the pre-game tonight. I think it'll be sincere. I don't like the guy much, but I can't imagine him not being embarassed and disappointed in himself. I don't think he'll be fired, at least not until all the legal stuff is figured out.

At least Irvin wasn't trying to pull a Nate Newton (i.e. drive around kilos of drugs across the country).

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Did anyone catch Irvin on the DP show? He told his sad, sad story :whine: about how he's helping a friend... yada, yada.
When his friend came over for Thanksgiving M. Irvin "frisked" him (cuz he knew he was an addict, oh and to quote: "I know those demons") and found the pipe. He was gonna destroy it but didn't want to put it in the garbage because (another quote): "people have gone thru my garbage" So he put it in his car, under his seat.
Ok, here's where I have a problem. If you really want to destroy it you take it out back, step on it (FYI - crack pipes are made of glass) and throw it away - END OF STORY.
I'm sorry Mike, I can't believe you. Don't you think his friend would come forward? According to the story, this guy (Irvin) is so nice and is trying to help you clean your life up - you get him arrested, put his ESPN job and HOF chances in jeopardy, wouldn't you come forward to clear your "good friend's" name?
Anyway, DP was pretty nice to him and let him tell his story (wonder if ESPN choreographed the interview) with out asking the questions most journalist would (IMO). I'd like to see Irvin go on Jim Rome show.... then we'd get down to business and get some real answers!
Oh well, if it is Mike's pipe - I trully hope he can clean up and move on. If not, hopefully he learns a lesson to distance himself from that lifestyle.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 11-28-2005 at 09:34 PM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:46 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
Did he just make the most recent HOF cut? If so, wonder if this has an effect on it.
Yeah it was announced just a few days ago, over the weekend I believe, that he had made the final round of voting for the Hall. Hard to say if it will affect his chances or not. It didn't keep LT out and he seemingly has/had much more of an issue with addiction than Irvin. But, on the other hand LT was a lock to make based on his career to begin with.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:21 PM   #13
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Irvin is clearly high during a fair amount of his airtime on ESPN. he eyes are nearly shut and he's giggling every other moment.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #14
niners80
Sports Enthusiast

niners80 is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to get this guy off of TV and give ESPN a great reason not to renew his contract, and open up the door for Jerry Rice to join ESPN as an analyst, which he has been interested in. I think the chemistry between Steve Young and Jerry Rice would be amazing for Sunday NFL Countdown........Rice is softspoken and understands the game of football better than anyone. You don't need an idiot like Irvin on that show just cause he has a big mouth and T.O on speed dial all the time.
niners80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:38 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Hmm, interesting angel re: Rice. I wonder how he is as a studio personality. If there's one thing Irvin has, it's pizzaz and personality.

I was surprised to see MFN Countdown dedicate an entire segment to letting Irvin explain himself. I didn't think they would do that considering it wasn't football-related...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote