Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 12-24-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough
Default Boston Fans Crying over Damon--Another reason to hate these people

What a sad time for Boston fans. The player they watched develop through their minor league system and take his first major league at bat leaves the city for mere money after being with the team for all ten of his years in the Major Leagues. And worse, he joins their arch-nemisis, the evil New York Yankees, who buy their talent and championships. Ohhhh waitt........

Damon did not come up through the Boston farm system...he didn't start his career in Boston, in fact, by old-school baseball standards he's a new addition to this team. Oh yea, now I remember...Damon came up in the Royals organization where he played his first six years, then he played a year for Oakland, before being rented by the Red Sox for the past four seasons. The only fanbase with a legitimate reason to gripe over the fairness of all of this live in Kansas City.

I really don't want to hear complaints from a team that has built their recent success on the same model used by the "evil" George Steinbrennor. If you have a problem with the Yankees and they way they conduct business...then give back Manny Ramirez and Curt Schilling. That's right, as a Clevelander I know what it really feels like to watch players that started their careers here bolt for the money. (Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle) I really don't need to hear complaints from a team that just got outspent by the ONLY TEAM in Major League Baseball that has the ability to outspend them. Boston, If you can't win with your current payroll...then you have issues. Cleveland damn near outplayed both teams last year with a payroll of about 40 million, which converted into Yankee dollars equals an A-Rod and a Jeter, or a Manny and Pappy. The A's and Mariners and last years White Sox are other examples of teams that have shown they can win with less.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. This is how Boston has competed...by outspending small-market teams for their talent. This is how it feels to be eaten by a bigger fish.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:25 AM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I don't have a horse in the Boston - New York rivalry, but I am sort of laughing at how pathetically the Red Sox fans are taking this. As an Indians fan, it stung but hard to lose Thome and Ramirez, but I wasn't raising my fists at the sky going "Why, why, WHY????" as the Boston media seems to be doing. I get that he was sort of the face of the Red Sox team that broke the curse, which gives him incredible historical significance but....come on. P.S. Boston fans, you guys have 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowls, and have won a World Series more recently than anybody but the CWS, and that includes the Yankees. Waaaah.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 01:29 AM   #3
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Yeah, this Johnny Damon thing has gone on just a couple days, and I"m already sick of it. I was reading Bill Simmons today, who starts off talking about he's not outraged and he's going the high road. And to be fair, the first portion is pretty insightful. But, he then proceeds to later in the column go the sour grapes route and talk about what an awful year Damon's going to have.

I don't get it. Red Sox fans whine about the Evil Empire and all this, but if the Yankees didn't exist, Boston would have, far and away, the highest payroll in MLB.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 02:50 AM   #4
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I thought Simmons article was good. Sportscenter keeps comparing Johnny to Judas and stuff. I hear that Boston is in a frenzy over the signing. Geez people, calm the @#%^ down.

I do think that Damon will be deemed a bad signing. He's an average center fielder in terms of range (maybe above-average), and his arm strength is weak. Basically the entire Yankees outfield (Matsui, Damon and Sheffield) is crummy defensively. The offense is going to be banging, but the pitching and defense is still suspect, which are the same problems from last season.

Then again, if the Yankees win a World Series in the next four years, the signing will be considered a coup.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Haha I love to hear the Boston fans cry. Makes me happy

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I can see why they're upset — who wouldn't be if one of your core players went to your archrival? It's the same thing that happened in my home state of Kentucky with Rick Pitino. I honestly can't blame them for being upset about it, it's human nature. But it's hard to feel sorry for them when they just won the Series, and have the Patriots.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
pixie-ixi

Boston what are you crying for. You still have Ortiz, Manny(at least for now),Varitek, Beckett,& Schilling. All that I have on the Orioles is Tejada.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie-ixi
All that I have on the Orioles is Tejada.
At least for now
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 09:29 PM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Don't count the Orioles out in the future. Mazzone is an amazing pitching coach and has some kids to work with.
As to the Red Sox fans, give them one WS title and they expect to get one every year. They should still have a decent team, but they have a few holes to fill yet. SS is not certain for now and could be a real problem for them.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:00 PM   #10
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

And think of what magic Mazzone could work on Prior...

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:08 PM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid
What a sad time for Boston fans. The player they watched develop through their minor league system and take his first major league at bat leaves the city for mere money after being with the team for all ten of his years in the Major Leagues. And worse, he joins their arch-nemisis, the evil New York Yankees, who buy their talent and championships. Ohhhh waitt.........
1s off, I'm not crying about it. 2nd - I don't know who the moron was who wrote this article (do you have a link?), cuz yeah, Damon never came up in the Sox system. Just another idiot writing something they know nothing about IMO. Its more the media making an issue over this than the fans. Yeah, it sux (for a day) and then you get over it - that's sports. Plus, this is not the 1st time one of our players went to the Yankees.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 12-24-2005 at 10:18 PM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:40 PM   #12
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I'm the idiot.

It was a sarcastic opening...I was making the point that he did not come up through their farm system.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:09 AM   #13
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
Plus, this is not the 1st time one of our players went to the Yankees.
The last one of significance going from the Red Sox to the Yankees was probably Babe Ruth. I can think of Elston Howard getting traded late in his career to Boston and Mike Torrez in the late '70's, who didn't even play an entire season with the Yankees.

I always find it amusing how Red Sox fans like to complain that Yankee fans are whiners. You guys are just as bad, or worse. One World Series win in 86 years and suddenly it erases nearly nine decades of failure.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:10 AM   #14
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid
I'm the idiot.
Don't admit that to everyone, Rick. We already know it, of course. :lol:
Seriously, I don't think the addition of Damon solves all of the Yankees problems. They are a better team with Damon than they were without him.
As to the Red Sox, they will be OK as long as they fill their SS position.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:18 AM   #15
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Ha! Good point, I'm not conceding anything from now on.