Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-29-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default Ever "read" more into a movie than it seems?

I do this all the time with movies.... The other day (around Xmas I think), Forrest Gump was on TV. Now this is cool movie with a great story. But if you really look at the Forrest/Jenny relationship she just uses the shat out of that chump, then dumps the kid on him when she gets AIDS. She gets the HIV, and then she actually has "balls" to ask this guy to marry her. And of course he says yes!
Got any other movies that have more to them than it seems?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, if I am not mistaken the kid was supposed to be Forrest's in the first place and not some kid she had with some random hook up of hers. Also, don't discount the fact that Jenny was abused as a little girl by her father which tends to have adverse affects in how people forge relationships as adults.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Well, if I am not mistaken the kid was supposed to be Forrest's in the first place and not some kid she had with some random hook up of hers. Also, don't discount the fact that Jenny was abused as a little girl by her father which tends to have adverse affects in how people forge relationships as adults.
Yeah, the kid was his - but she didn't bother to tell him till she got sick. Also, she "hooked back up" with Forrest after he got rich, then bailed on him in the middle of the night. Some may say she just took advantage of some mentally challenged guy with a lot of money.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, but if she were truly trying to get knocked up by some rich guy wouldn't she have hung around and banged him a few more times to make sure she got the job done? She also would not have disappeared for five years and then pop all of a sudden and drop this kid on him if she were truly trying to take advantage of him. She bailed on him because she loved him but was still dealing with past demons and didn't want to bring Forrest down. She just slept with him because she knew he was a virgin and knew that the odds were he would never have the chance to experience it with another woman.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:31 PM   #5
boston_aloha
FFB #2

I don't think she was trying to get knocked up. But it was convenient that she re-enters his life after he becomes a millionaire. Also, I think she knew that there was no way she could "bring Forrest down", he was way too into her. She prob could of had other dudes over while shacking up with him and he still cook them dinner! I can hear Forrest with that twangy accent: "Jenny, would you and your friend like some more mashed po-tay-toes?" Jenny could do no wrong in Forrest's eyes and she cashed in on it bigtime! But then again, she did appologize after she knew she was gonna die - so I guess they're even
Old 12-30-2005, 03:34 AM   #6
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

This is probably the funniest thread in SCMB history. At least to me anyway, maybe I'm wrong...
Old 12-30-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Yeah, it bothers me when movies have unreasonable circumstances. I end up bothered by how unrealistic it is rather than following the movie. For example, I was watching National Lampoon's Vacation on HBO and the stupidity of the characters and whatnot was more annoying than funny.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:19 PM   #8
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Maybe I am not entirely in line w/BA's reasons, but the movie really pissed me off as well. Was I supposed to feel sorry for Jenny? It always seemed likeshe was just taking advantage of the poor guy. I felt no sympathy for her character at all.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:25 PM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

The movie "Blair Witch Project" was supposed to be really scary. I was more annoyed than anything else. Those kids wandering around in a forest were just stupid.
Worst movie I ever paid to see.
As to "Forrest Gump", well, I did like the film. Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors and I've never seen him do a poor job. Some are more believable than others, but he always does well.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:27 PM   #10
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

The ending of Blair Witch was scary, sorta, but the build up, just for that one scene pay off. That is what made it so bad.

Only movie I walked out of. Boiling Point w/Wesley Smipes and Dennis Hopper. Supposed to be an action flick. Anything but.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:08 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
I don't think she was trying to get knocked up. But it was convenient that she re-enters his life after he becomes a millionaire. Also, I think she knew that there was no way she could "bring Forrest down", he was way too into her. She prob could of had other dudes over while shacking up with him and he still cook them dinner! I can hear Forrest with that twangy accent: "Jenny, would you and your friend like some more mashed po-tay-toes?" Jenny could do no wrong in Forrest's eyes and she cashed in on it bigtime! But then again, she did appologize after she knew she was gonna die - so I guess they're even
Okay, but other than shacking up with him for a brief period of time what exactly did she get out of it? You are implying that she took advantage of the fact that he had all this money but all she got out of it was a roof over her head for a little while which he could have done regardless of how much money he had. It is not as though she strolled off with suitcase full of cash or stole his Rolls or something. I guess I am failing to see how she made out like a bandit from him being rich.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:02 PM   #12
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed Blair Witch the first time I saw it (WAIT!!), because I didn't see it in the theater.. a buddy of mine got a tape of it before it came out in theaters and no one had heard about it... he had a few people over and said see what you think of this. We all thought it was real and it scared one of my friends so much he got up and walked out.
Now had I seen it for the first time in the theater, I would have probably crapped on it like you guys did..
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #13
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

I agree with Ricky the Kid, this is one of the funniest threads I have ever read on the message boards.

I will refrain from getting involved in the whole Forrest Gump/what was Jenny's true intentions debate, but I am proud to raise my hand and announce that I am a card carrying member of the reading way too much into movies club.

This thread reminded me of a story that Ben Affleck told Kevin Smith on the audio commentary to Jersey Girl (did I really just admit to watching that). Affleck talked about a guy who came up to him the other day and asked him if he knew what movie would be playing at the end of the world. Affleck responded by saying who gives a ****, it's the end of the world.

I wish that I could just kick back and look at a movie as just a two-hour form of entertainment, but it is really tough.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker
Affleck talked about a guy who came up to him the other day and asked him if he knew what movie would be playing at the end of the world. Affleck responded by saying who gives a ****, it's the end of the world.
I think that might be deserving of its own thread. That's an incredible question. Affleck's right, but maybe he's not. What else is there to be doing at the world's end?

Maybe it's because of the season just past. Maybe it's because of some strange sentimentality that comes with age, but I would be hard pressed to watch anything other than "It's a Wonderful Life" at the end of the world. Can't think of anything more uplifting and sweet and making me WANT to believe in something that I generally don't.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #15
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

What would we do if the world was ending tomorrow? huh, to be nonest, never really thought about it. Probably gather my wife and kids together and look for somewhere wher i think it may actually be safe, not for me, but for them. That is my worst fear, for something to happen to my family. The only nightmares I ever have are ones where they are harmed.