Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 03:05 AM   #1
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default First night in the books

*Central Michigan showed a lot of poise for an underdog, cutting a 31-10 4th quarter lead down to 31-24 against BC....had it in BC territory with a couple minutes left to try to tie but BC got the pick when CMich tried a gimmicky play that backfired.

*Northern Arizona had #25 Arizona State tied going into the fourth.

*Temple and Buffalo played a match of hilarious offensive ineptitude, still tied at zero (nice weather, as far as I could tell) midway through the fourth. BUffalo won 9-3 in OT.

*Not a lot of offense across the board, unsurprisingly. Stony Brook/Hofstra and Northwestern/Miami were also scoreless at halftime, South Carolina was up 3-0 at the half over Mississippi State (the offtensive woes continue for Sylvester Croom, as the other USC goes on to pitch the shutout) and Middle Tennessee beat Florida International 7-6.

*The most exciting game, judging by the box score, was Toledo-Iowa State, with the Cyclones winning 45-43 in triple overtime.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-01-2006, 03:36 AM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'd probably go with the CMU-BC game as the most exciting one of the night for several reasons...

1. Scoring doesn't translate into excitement...esp. if you like defense.
2. It was at CMU (Tol-ISU was in Iowa)
3. B.C. is coming off an amazing 2005 season (ISU is mediocre)
4. CMU is NOT one of the traditional MAC powers (Toledo is)
5. The defensive intensity of CMU late in the game really got the crowd, coaches, and players into it. Toledo-ISU was more like trading blows...which isn't as good as an underdog making a strong run for the upset...IMO.

Very happy with the low scores too. S.C. holds Miss St. on a 4th down late in that defensive struggle to get the ball back on downs then goes to the bomb on the very next play...excellent call by Spurrier. When it's tight like that...tightness only a defensive game can generate...you really appreciate good coaching in a situation like that.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Very happy with the low scores too. S.C. holds Miss St. on a 4th down late in that defensive struggle to get the ball back on downs then goes to the bomb on the very next play...excellent call by Spurrier. When it's tight like that...tightness only a defensive game can generate...you really appreciate good coaching in a situation like that.
I saw that play - excellent call by the Ol' Ball Coach!!!:thumbup:

S.C.'s defense looked good and will keep them out of trouble in many more games this season. I was getting nervous when Mitchell went down in the 1st quarter (had $$$ riding on S.C. of course ) but glad he came back and they ultimately won....
Old 09-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #4
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Why did Sylvester Croom never adjust to the attacking defense? He ran a fake reverse severaL times, but never ran the reverse itself, and hardly any play action on 1st down. I kept expecting a screen at some point to counter the attacking LBs, but it never came. He never made any adjustments.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Had NAU beat Arizona State, that might very well have made the season for me.

Blog
Old 09-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Hofstra is my hometown team (about 10 minutes away from my house) so I'm always rooting for them. Plus, a kid who just graduated from my high school is a freshman WR for the Pride.

Looks like Minnesota may have found a nice successor for Marion Barber and Lawerence Maroney in Alex Daniels.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
Old 09-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane View Post
Had NAU beat Arizona State, that might very well have made the season for me.
Anyone know where this guy lives?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane View Post
*Central Michigan showed a lot of poise for an underdog, cutting a 31-10 4th quarter lead down to 31-24 against BC....had it in BC territory with a couple minutes left to try to tie but BC got the pick when CMich tried a gimmicky play that backfired.
It is a shame CMU's QB got knocked out on the first play of the game and had to go with a Freshman QB the rest of the way. They may have pulled that one out otherwise.

Miss States QB going down early certainly did not do them any favors.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 09-02-2006, 01:05 AM   #9
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Gosh darn it, why couldn't Fresno State beat the spread in their revenge win vs. Nevada?
Old 09-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #10
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

UGA's offense was horrid today. I can't understand how Tereshinski is the starter. 7-17 passing. Let me rephrase that. 7-17 passing AGAINSY WESTERN FRIGGIN KENTUCKY!!!! No way do they beat South Carolina next week. Not only will they not win, they may get blown out.

BTW, the call for Stafford to start will get louder after today. Of the 3 QBs that played, he looked the best. The kid has a gun for an arm. Got some pics of him I took that I may be able to get up.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:31 AM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Ohio State was horrible too Mike...if that makes ya feel any better. They basically gave up 280ish yards to this Wolfe kid from N. Ill. Their linebackers didn't attack the ball. The kicking game sucked. Gonna be a long night in Austin next week.

Grade: F
Old 09-03-2006, 12:35 AM   #12
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

The defense and special teams looked great, 78, but the offense. Ugh. I counted 2 passes that Tereshinski threw that, if he throws against South Carolina, will be taken back for 6. He has heart, but he doesn't have near enough arm.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:40 AM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Maybe we should combine our squads then Mike. Our offense looked great (though the play calling sucked) while our defense and special teams didn't impress. I don't give a sh** about offense though. That doesn't win you jack.

Maurice Wells fumbled...again. Tressel put Zwick in late during the middle of a series (why God?) and he fumbled. Horrible. Just horrible.

Larry Grant played well on defense for us...I guess a bright spot.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #14
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

The defense for us was outstanding. Quentin Moses reminds me so much of Pollack. Just a non stop relentless pass rusher.

But again, this was WKU. We'll see how they fare next week vs a non-high school team.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

The Pac Ten went 1-2 vs. the SEC...kinda expected it. Would have liked to seen Cal give the Vols a game though. That's a tough one. I had hope when I heard WSU was battling Auburn but the Tigers managed to pull away. All three games were in Dixie though. Southern Miss. played Florida tight briefly...more hope...but dashed as depth and fatigue factored in...I assume.
Closed Thread