Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Vijay Singh attacks Annika Sorenstam

Singh originally came out with some harsh comments, saying he hopes she doesn't make the cut and if he ends up paired with her, he'll withdraw. "I hope she misses the cut. Why? Because she doesn't belong out here," Singh told AP golf writer Doug Ferguson during an interview as he left the locker room after the Wachovia Championship in Charlotte, N.C. "If I'm drawn with her, which I won't be, I won't play."

He has backed off his comments today, but maintains the same opinion: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/story?id=1553304

Way to go, Vijay. 'Bout time someone had the balls to speak their mind. This is good for golf in that it draws mucho interest in it, as the extended coverage now scheduled on CBS justifies.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:40 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I don't care if Annika plays on the men's tour or not... I just think that she should have to qualify for it like everyone else and like that woman who is playing in the Greater Hartford Open on the PGA Tour this July or August.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:55 AM   #3
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

The PGA is not a men's tour.... it is a tour for the best players.

She is the best female player and should be given a shot.... but I agree Lee... she should've qualified.

I hope she does well.... I really do

tumblr | twitter
Old 05-16-2003, 08:15 AM   #4
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

i agree with the above posts. If she wanted the respect from the players, she should have went through the right channels to get there.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:26 AM   #5
nik
Rookie Player

nik is on a distinguished road

I think Vijay Singh has shot himself in the foot by saying too much, if he had just said the sentence about Sorenstam should not be allowed any favours and should qualify for the tournament just like any other player, then he wouldn't be branded sexist or they wouldn't have been this much of an uproar, but the fact he said he won't play because he doesn't want to play because he is afraid of of losing to women, well thatís just inexcusable and he deserves all the stick he is getting.

I admired Vijay Singh before this for his determination for fighting his way to the top in what was when he started out predominately a 'white's mans sport' and has fought through all the discriminations so he of all people should understand the difficulty of a being a minority in the game of golf. He has definitely gone down in my understand.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #6
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default Singhs Attacks

When i first heard what Vijay Singh had to say about Annika playing in this weekend I was very impressed. I thought it took alot of courage for him to say that he wouldnt play with her if he was matched with her.

But then, the media ripped apart his comments. Odviously, if you are going to make strong remarks,like that, the media is going to be all over you. I dont think Vijay would take all of the heat. So he played his most focused and best game and won.

Since he won, he could easily say " i Proved my point, I am one of the best golfers in the word, and you cant question it." So after winning he didn't want to take the heat of the torn. so he backed out.

Although it was good stratigizing, it showed how gutless he really is. He should have said " I am going to go out there and destroy any women who plays." I am sure he would have beat her, so all he is saying is that he cant take the media attention.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:53 AM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think she'll make the cut for many reasons. The first is that she will only have one practice round because yesterday's was rained out after her first three shots. Secondly, everyone is taking this "too long" thing too far. That will be part of it because she's like 170th on the PGA Tour in driving distance, but the bigger part of her loss will be the greens. The greens are way trickier on the PGA Tour and that will be her toughest part IMO. I gaurantee you that if the cut is par or better, she will not make it. If it is higher than that I still say the odds are highly against her.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:31 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Welcome, Nik and ellisismyhero, it's refreshing to see some new faces here! :wavey:

For what it's worth, Annika finished one-over today.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:42 PM   #9
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Not a bad score at all! I thought she'd finish somewhere above 75! I still don't like this idea of women in the PGA, but since Annika is playing this tournament...I wish her well. As far as future tours goes, don't mix them up. That's why we have a LPGA in the first place!
Old 05-22-2003, 10:58 PM   #10
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

But the PGA is a non-gender specific tour. No-where in the rules does it state its a male tour.

She did well today.... hope she shoots below par tomorrow.

GO ANNIKA GO

tumblr | twitter
Old 05-23-2003, 12:34 AM   #11
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Yes, if women will continue to play on the PGA tour then there is no need for an LPGA tour.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:31 AM   #12
RaviPachai18

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky the Kid
Yes, if women will continue to play on the PGA tour then there is no need for an LPGA tour.
Agreed. But you're generalising here, Annika isn't the LPGA tour, she's one woman. She dominates the LPGA tour and wanted to test her skills against the players of the PGA. Like Simon said, the PGA tour does not restrict women from playing in the tournaments, but I think they should have to qualify like the majority of the men playing in these tournaments. She's done well and I was a bit disappointed at the comment's of Vijay but I think the media also took them out of context. I just don't see what the big fuss is about, really, it just doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to me.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:55 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Vijay was a wuss for backing out of the Colonial after making those bold comments about Annika. He was afraid of finishing behind her, plain and simple. Look, this has been nothing but good for the game because he has drawn massive publicity.

However, I don't think this will be a sustained ordeal -- she is not going to play this well over time and no other women (with the exception of Michelle Wie, but she's 13) could even dream of attempting this and playing competitively.

IMO, everyone is congratulating her for being in like 37th-place which is ridiculous. You can say what you want about Vijay, but what he said, while maybe not the best thing to say, was what many men were thinking.

Like in every other major organized sport, I think women and men should be in their own league. What is the rest of the LPGA going to think when she belittles them and says she wants some "real" competition?
Old 05-23-2003, 02:06 PM   #14
RaviPachai18

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Vijay was a wuss for backing out of the Colonial after making those bold comments about Annika. He was afraid of finishing behind her, plain and simple. Look, this has been nothing good for the game because he has drawn massive publicity.
Vijay made it clear that his decision to not play this week had nothing to do with Annika, he won last week and said before that he would take a break if he won. We can speculate, and there probably is a little truth, when we say it is because of Annika that he withdrew.

To be fair to Vijay, I don't think he's one to shy away from competition, even with a woman. He knows, as does any PGA Tour player, that he can beat her on any given day. If I had to guess why he backed down (if for any other reason than what he's already given) it's simply because the media took his comments completely out of context. He took alot of heat at this last tournament and it wasn't going to cool down for this week, not one bit.

It's tough to concentrate on your game when you've got people calling you all sorts of unthinkable names constantly. Just by the way we are, we usually root for the underdog and Annika will have a huge following this week, just for the reason and if Vijay had played, his following was not going to be kind to him at all. I think he did the most sensible thing, which was to just avoid facing the controversy.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:10 PM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Umm... try SEVENTY-THIRD, not THIRTY-SEVENTH after the first round, and only the top 65+ties make the cut. Scoring on average has been slightly higher today than yesterday of the players that have started so far (only about a fifth of the field), so if this early trend continues, Annika will miss the cut.
Closed Thread