Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-14-2002, 02:54 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down McNabb Has Crapped Out

Eagles QB Unimpressive Since Big Deal

PHILADELPHIA - Donovan McNabb hasn't been the same quarterback since he signed the richest contract in NFL history. Is it a case of too much pressure? Or is it just coincidence?

Whatever the reason, McNabb has struggled in the six games since the Philadelphia Eagles gave him a 12-year, $115 million contract extension after Week 3.

McNabb, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, completed 68 of 111 passes (61.3 percent) for 791 yards, eight touchdowns and two interceptions in the first three games. He also ran for 118 yards and two TDs. Since then, he is 123-for-225 (54.6 per cent) for 1,243 yards, five TDs and three interceptions and has 342 yards rushing and four TDs on the ground.

Three of his nine TDs in the last six games have come after the outcome was decided. His average yards passing per game is down from 264 to 207. His QB rating of 81.4 is 21st in the league.

In Sunday's 35-13 loss to the Indianapolis Colts, McNabb was 27-for-47 for 281 yards and one touchdown. But he was 15-for-31 for 158 yards before garbage time, fumbled twice and dropped a crucial pass (thrown by running back Dorsey Levens) on a fourth-and-1 in the third quarter.

The above story, carried by the wire services, appeared in Wednesday's San Francisco Examiner.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:32 PM   #2
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Personally, I don't like him... I think he's waaaaaay too overrated. His passer rating ain't that good, all he can do is use his feet, yet he became one of the highest paid player in the league. I hope Andy Reid is feeling like sh*t now!
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 09:24 PM   #3
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Give him some time. I dont think three or four poor games is enough to say he is a bust when he has already done so much.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:30 AM   #4
Anthony

No one is going so far as to say that McNabb is a "bust" (like Akili Smith, who was chosen one pick after him in the '99 draft), just that he's not among the elite quarterbacks in the NFL - and he most definitely is not!
Old 11-15-2002, 06:14 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I still think he just has a bunch of unimpressive receivers that bring his numbers down. But they have been inconsistent these last few weeks and will need to address issues at receiver and running back this offseason. Excuses aside, McNabb is just going through a slump. He started off red-hot.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 01:46 AM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

He's up one week and down the next. Doesn't impress me much.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:11 AM   #7
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

I pretty much agree with Marc. McNabb does not have the finest guys surrounding him.

But......I'm not sure he will EVER be one of the best throwers of the football around.
I see him as a better version of Steve McNair. He is BIG and tough to bring down as a runner. He is a natural leader and is a winner, I do believe.
Despite being a 2nd tier passer of the football, I do believe he has got enough of what it takes to lead a team the distance.

T. Dilfer had enough, for God's sake.

Now if he'll just stop that nasty little on-field vomit habit of his.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:37 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

4 TDs and about 300 yards in an Eagle win today ... great day for McNabb AND my fantasy team. McNabb had a stellar week, hopefully he can get back on track.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 01:24 AM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Well, he'll have to get back on track a couple months from now.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 01:41 AM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

one of his best pure passing games, and it came because he was immbolized and couldn't run around as much. McNabb can be a great pocket passer, it's just that ultimately they need him scrambling around and making things happen when his receivers are covered.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:30 AM   #11
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

That's it... The Eagles are gone, loosing McNabb is the last thing Philadelphia wants. Who the **** is Koy Detmer!? They should start Jay Feely if they want any chance of the playoffs now, since the Giants are right behind them.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:52 AM   #12
Anthony

The choices for the Eagles are now obvious: Either they sign Elvis Grbac or face a certain 7-9 finish. Jeffrey Lurie swears straight up and down that he's committed to winning on the field rather than just strictly making money. Well, here's your chance to prove it, Jeff - bring Elvis into the building!
Old 11-18-2002, 09:51 AM   #13
ABDUL
Banned

ABDUL is on a distinguished road

Elvis is no savior for Philly. He is a despictable quarterback with no heart for the game. He is also a traitor. Your insinuations are a major travesty to the NFL. Philly is done, and it is a good thing.
ABDUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 11:41 AM   #14
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Koy is a prolific at the handoff. I really hope you're joking in saying Philly should sign Elvis. They'll probably go 3-3 with Koy, winning over Seattle, and 2 of the division games left.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:23 PM   #15
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Anthony, calm down man! Philly can still win a game without Mcnabb....although that might not seem possible to you! The Eagles future is in doubt now...but funny to hear you say the Eagles will go 7-9 after saying that Mcnabb is crapped out...lol! Your finally admitting that Mcnabb is better than how tough you are on him!...and your also saying this team can't win without Mcnabb?...so if that be the case he deserves the money he is getting!

Joey