Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   B(C)S talk 2006 (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=15112)

Richard the Lionheart 10-20-2006 10:07 AM

Yeah, too bad. In less than ten years I'm almost positive we'll have some sort of playoff, and then college football will be on the path to destruction as far as I'm concerned.

KevinBeane 10-20-2006 01:06 PM

This is partially a devil's advocate point, but one I think still needs to be addressed.

The thing that makes adding a conditional National Championship game more difficult than it looks - and not comparable to adding a 12th regular season games - is preparation and logistics. You can't tell a city/stadium, "Prepare for millions of visitors and hold your 90,000 seat stadium open for the biggest game of the year in four weeks....maybe.

It's especially difficult when you consider the financial aspects of it. Hotels can prepare for the biggest week of the year, and then face a crises as the need for a National Championship game, at the eleventh hour, evaporates and tens of thousands of people cancel their reservations. And that's just one small aspect of it. There's tons of others from city planning, stadium issues, and reservations, etc. It takes months to adequately prepare for big sporting events and I can understand the problems that would arise if it was only a tentative situation.

If I recall correctly, the NFL had to move heavens and Earth to move the SB a week up in 2001 and had to completely derail a huge automotive convention scheduled for the Super Dome that week (something that many in the auto industry's entire working year revolves around) and pay the group holding the auto convention huge, huge, huge amounts of money to compensate.

Even something smallish, like bracket buster weekend in college basketball, the NCAA takes care to announce who will be participating, and who will be hosting, before the season starts and before we know who will benefit by it. The reason for this is so that proper preperations can take place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid (Post 220286)
and then college football will be on the path to destruction as far as I'm concerned.

As in, you won't like it as much, or do you think something "destructive" will happen as a result? If so, what?

Richard the Lionheart 10-20-2006 06:48 PM

By "as far as I'm concerned" I meant "for me", not "that is my opinion on what will happen to college football". Sorry that was confusing, and still is.

Maybe I was being a little overdramatic, but I certainly think a playoff system would be very, very bad for college football. It would take away from the excitement and importance of regular season games.

Besides the importance of every regular season game, another thing which separates college football from every other support is the traditions and regional rivalries. I don't think continuing to stray from the old system helps either, in fact I know it doesn't.

Also, I think all this focus on the national picture, and the turning away from regional and conference focus is very bad for college football. Fact is, only four or five teams have a serious chance at the National Championship at this point in the season as far as I'm concerned...that means, if the focus is solely on the National Championship, the students and fans of all the other schools really have nothing much to get into. When the focus is on conference titles and regional rivalries, dozens of other schools have a vested interest in the games.

That is why I think you take everything back to how it was, and add in a little clause in case there is still a dispute. As far as the drawbacks to it, your points are good ones. I just don't agree that it would be as big of a problem as you think. It would just be another home game for the host of the game. Most people wouldn't be traveling at all except fans of the visiting school who somehow got tickets, and media. With two weeks notice, I'll be they could be accomodated very well.

#99 10-20-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid (Post 220341)
Maybe I was being a little overdramatic, but I certainly think a playoff system would be very, very bad for college football. It would take away from the excitement and importance of regular season games.

Besides the importance of every regular season game, another thing which separates college football from every other support is the traditions and regional rivalries. I don't think continuing to stray from the old system helps either, in fact I know it doesn't.

You're right. The regular season in every other sport is completely meaningless, obviously. What? "Longer" does not mean "irrelevant."

Here's one that we've actually seen before: you finish undefeated, yet are rated third in the precious formula and locked out of the national title game. Tell me, how important was that team's regular season then?

I don't see how regional rivalries would be affected, considering they're largely part of the regular season and conference schedules.

Richard the Lionheart 10-21-2006 02:28 AM

I didn't say every other sport had a meaningless regular season. What I said was, that creating a playoff system would make the regular season less meaningful. Do you really want to debate this? If there was a playoff system, Ohio State could pretty much rest assured that it could loose the Michigan game and still get in. (This is also one of the ways rivalry games would be made less meaningful. In the old system and even this one a loss to Michigan in almost any year ruins OSU's season) USC could loose to Cal or Notre Dame--hell, Auburn could even afford to drop a second game and probably sneak in. Of course under this situation the regular season doesn't mean as much anymore, because you are allowed to have an off weak. Every game is no longer a must win.

Finishing undefeated and ranking third in the polls is a tough break. Doesn't happen very often. If they scheduled better it wouldn't have happened to them. Besides all that, I agree it sucks. Anyway, under the system I would like to see thats not a problem--and it wouldnt rely on an every year set playoff. And anyway, Auburn's season that year wasn't meaningless anyway. They went undefeated, won their conference, their bowl game, and beat Alabama. This is college football--not the NFL. Just because some sportswriters didn't give them some trophy doesn't take away from anything they accomplished that year.

KevinBeane 10-21-2006 11:41 AM

Army-Navy hasn't been relevant in terms of involving two power teams for decades. Yet, they still put it on national television and still pack the Vet (err, the Linc) for it. Every other sport at every level in the United States has both a playoff and a regular season not lacking in luster, including gripping rivalry games with nothing more than pride at stake. I don't see this as an either/or situation where we cannot have it both ways at all.

HibachiDG 10-21-2006 11:58 AM

But what about games like Michigan/PSU from last season? The rivalries will be fine, but that game has so much more pain for PSU fans because there is not a playoff or any system that would give them a second shot with 2 undefeateds.

eric 10-22-2006 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Graham (Post 220428)
But what about games like Michigan/PSU from last season? The rivalries will be fine, but that game has so much more pain for PSU fans because there is not a playoff or any system that would give them a second shot with 2 undefeateds.

Agreed.it will be the same with this year's OSU/Michigan Game or with ND losing to Michigan or Texas to OSU as long as Michigan or OSU stay undefeated some really good one loss team is going to get left out of a shot at the NC.

buckeyefan78 10-22-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric (Post 220530)
Agreed.it will be the same with this year's OSU/Michigan Game or with ND losing to Michigan or Texas to OSU as long as Michigan or OSU stay undefeated some really good one loss team is going to get left out of a shot at the NC.

And if you lost...work harder. What's wrong with that? (runs in opposite direction)

eric 10-23-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 220552)
And if you lost...work harder. What's wrong with that? (runs in opposite direction)

Nothing wrong with that, except that when you have a game that is decided by a controversial call or non-call and that is your only loss, there is redemption available in a playoff system.

buckeyefan78 10-23-2006 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric (Post 220615)
Nothing wrong with that, except that when you have a game that is decided by a controversial call or non-call and that is your only loss, there is redemption available in a playoff system.

Nah, you know this ain't the truth. Look at all the controversy surrounding our schools in the 70s (on and off the field). It only made them better. The Woody-Bo era was the greatest time in all of college football history. I'm all for young people learning life isn't fair and judging how they respond when they get the chance to.

Redemption comes from within. Money comes from a playoff system.

bama4256 10-25-2006 05:31 PM

If anyone beats them it will be Cal, but don't be shocked if they do go undefeated-they beat Arkansas 50-14. We know Arkansas is a pretty good team.

tnmtigerfans 10-27-2006 02:15 AM

I would love to see college football go to a play-off system. I mean come on guys it makes a true champion. Every college sport has a play-off or a championship series except college football.
In 2004 my team went undefeted and got left out. Instead the so called championship game was a blow out, and turned out to be a poor match-up.
I say take the top 32 teams line em up and play it out till you come up with a true champ. Only the BCS, and the guys who get voted #1 EVERY YEAR would not like it. See chances are a Bowling Green or an Auburn, maybe a Louisville could spoil their chances.

Richard the Lionheart 10-27-2006 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmtigerfans (Post 220954)
I would love to see college football go to a play-off system. I mean come on guys it makes a true champion. Every college sport has a play-off or a championship series except college football.

College football is also the only college sport with a meaningful regular season that people get into. So are we supposed to change this so it can be more like the other college sports no one watches?

In football, its impossible to prove your the best by playing everyone. Football could never have a 32 team playoff. Winning some playoff bracket says no more about your team than going undefeated and winning a bowl game. You do what you can with your schedule.

tobynosker 10-27-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid
College football is also the only college sport with a meaninful regular season that people get into. So are we supposed to change this so it can be more like the other college sports no one watches?
I understand that some people feel the college basketball regular season is rendered moot by allowing automatic tournament berths in the NCAA tournament to teams who win only the conference tournament, but that could be easily remedied if the NCAA would give the automatic tournament berths to the regular season conference champions.

Quick solution, and it makes the college basketball regular season just as important as the college football regular season.

The BCS system didn't work in 2004. The BCS system didn't work in 2003. The BCS system didn't work in 2001. The BCS system didn't work in 2000. The BCS system didn't work in 1998.

It's a flawed system that has only worked three out of the last eight years.