Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Vick gets prison for killing dogs, Stallworth gets slap for killing human... (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=22368)

Marc 08-13-2009 05:49 PM

Vick gets prison for killing dogs, Stallworth gets slap for killing human...

ESPN did a good story on E60 about Stallworth, who was charged with DUI manslaughter and now the NFL has suspended him for 2009: Donte' Stallworth of Cleveland Browns suspended without pay for 2009 season - ESPN

Stallworth seems legitimately remorseful for his actions, but this seems outrageous considering he got less of a sentence than Vick. Double standard?

KevinBeane 08-13-2009 09:55 PM

On one hand, you could argue that the difference is intent and malice. On the other hand, my story on Mike Vick some time ago (where I said that most of us don't have the standing to condemn him, I think I made the same comparison to Leonard Little, another DUI killer, and wondered if race played a part of our reaction) got the most negative feedback of anything I have ever wrote. People care about animals more than they care about adult humans.

Anthony 08-14-2009 02:25 AM

And more unfair yet for Vick, now he has to live in Philadelphia! :lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4397938

jhuerbin88 08-14-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinBeane (Post 297740)
On one hand, you could argue that the difference is intent and malice. On the other hand, my story on Mike Vick some time ago (where I said that most of us don't have the standing to condemn him, I think I made the same comparison to Leonard Little, another DUI killer, and wondered if race played a part of our reaction) got the most negative feedback of anything I have ever wrote. People care about animals more than they care about adult humans.

Yeah, I think that's a really interesting point.

I think that the NFL and Goodell want to see Vick succeed. Imagine how much the league would benefit if Vick wins a Super Bowl. Now, Goodell can talk about how immature Vick was early and how he got into trouble, but after serving his time the NFL forgave him and he was rehabilitated with the help of the league. As much as I don't like the guy, Vick served his time and wants to play in the NFL again. Here's his chance. He better not screw it up, again.

Anthony 08-16-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhuerbin88 (Post 297747)
Yeah, I think that's a really interesting point.

I think that the NFL and Goodell want to see Vick succeed. Imagine how much the league would benefit if Vick wins a Super Bowl. Now, Goodell can talk about how immature Vick was early and how he got into trouble, but after serving his time the NFL forgave him and he was rehabilitated with the help of the league. As much as I don't like the guy, Vick served his time and wants to play in the NFL again. Here's his chance. He better not screw it up, again.

But win a Super Bowl with the Eagles? :P

CKFresh 08-17-2009 10:01 AM

The difference IS intent.

Yes, the results of Stallworth's actions were worse, but it was an accident. Yes, he made a bad decision to drive after drinking, but there was no intent to hurt anyone.

Vick on the other hand intentionally ran a ring of dog fighting that went on for years.

themush 08-17-2009 03:18 PM

Jesus Christ...... I actually agree with Fresh on something?

The end is near!

Marc 08-17-2009 03:29 PM

Great point re: intent. I just think these protesters and loons are annoying. Vick did a horrible thing, but he paid a hefty price and deserves the right to earn a living again. If he is indeed sincere with his remarks and new attitude, I wish him the best. He did some reprehensible things to animals, but people treat him as if he's a cold-blooded murderer of humans.

CKFresh 08-17-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themush (Post 297780)
Jesus Christ...... I actually agree with Fresh on something?

The end is near!

I was in Florida for a week... Maybe the rays do something to the brain... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 297782)
Great point re: intent. I just think these protesters and loons are annoying. Vick did a horrible thing, but he paid a hefty price and deserves the right to earn a living again. If he is indeed sincere with his remarks and new attitude, I wish him the best. He did some reprehensible things to animals, but people treat him as if he's a cold-blooded murderer of humans.

I agree. He paid the time. Get over it and move on.

jhuerbin88 08-17-2009 09:38 PM

There is still a double standard in the NFL - and actually all professional sports - that you can "pay" your way out of anything. Vick is back. Stallworth will be back. They both messed up, but will get their chance at redemption.

Marc 08-20-2009 04:25 PM

Just saw that Dick's Sporting Goods is refusing to stock Vick jerseys... :rolleyes:

Marc 08-25-2009 04:46 PM

Vick makes his return to the NFL after 32 months tonight. I will be interested to see if he still has speed and quickness...

doublee 08-25-2009 05:07 PM

I think they play Thursday don't they?

jhuerbin88 08-25-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 297871)
Just saw that Dick's Sporting Goods is refusing to stock Vick jerseys... :rolleyes:

I think it's because they don't think they'll sell, not because of his past. I could be wrong, but it does make sense. Not too many backup QB jerseys at Dick's anywhere.

Anthony 08-26-2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhuerbin88 (Post 297989)
I think it's because they don't think they'll sell, not because of his past. I could be wrong, but it does make sense. Not too many backup QB jerseys at Dick's anywhere.

Oh, but you don't know Philly - where the backup QB is always the most popular athlete in town! :lol: