Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   A Modest Proposal (except not funny.) (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=20257)

Ellis 08-09-2008 02:07 PM

A Modest Proposal (except not funny.)

Since members aren't seeing where other members are coming from, we should put together an SC political canon: everyone adds three books to the canon and no one can post until they have read the entire canon.

I think that this will increase the quality of the posts in here and everyone will get along better.

Montrovant 08-10-2008 11:00 AM

Sorry Ellis....I don't read non-fiction books if I can avoid it. :)

Ellis 08-10-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montrovant (Post 284284)
Sorry Ellis....I don't read non-fiction books if I can avoid it. :)

Who said it had to be non-fiction? I would only add one non-fiction book to the list.

Richard the Lionheart 08-10-2008 04:43 PM

I think this is an exceptional idea, Ellis, and if everyone follows your advice we won't have posts in the politics forum for several years. :thumbup: :lol:

My contributions to the SC Political Canon (I nominate four instead of three because the last two are very short):

*The Federalist Papers--James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay

*The Collected Writings of Thomas Jefferson

*The First Discourse--Jean Jacques Rousseau

*The Memorial Address--Martin Heiddeger

Ellis 08-10-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart (Post 284296)
I think this is an exceptional idea, Ellis, and if everyone follows your advice we won't have posts in the politics forum for several years. :thumbup: :lol:

Exactly! It's a win-win situation: everyone comes back well-read and no one has to put up with the posts in here for at least a few months :D

Heidegger? The Nazi? :D Contrary to your belief, I am not big on those existentialists...

Here's what what I would add:

Swann's Way- Marcel Proust (I just can't take anyone seriously who hasn't read it)
On Certainty- Ludwig Wittgenstein (For epistemology)
Essays and Aphorisms- Arthur Schopenhauer (For ethics)
Collected Poems of Fernando Pessoa (For ethics)

catman 08-10-2008 08:31 PM

The Constitution, by James Madison, etal

buckeyefan78 08-11-2008 02:00 PM

I'm against the idea. As the leading opponent of formal education I find it arbitrary and esoteric. Books are fine but life experience is necessary.

"Experience is not what happens to you, it is what you do with what happens to you." -

Aldous Leonard Huxley

;)

Ellis 08-11-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 284320)
I'm against the idea. As the leading opponent of formal education I find it arbitrary and esoteric. Books are fine but life experience is necessary.

"Experience is not what happens to you, it is what you do with what happens to you." -

Aldous Leonard Huxley

;)

I've come to disagree: I think that solitude-- with books, thoughts, and yourself-- is infinitely more valuable than 'life experience.'

Then again, I am young myself, but look at every great artist and every great thinker and you will find that their work was a product of their solitude, not life experiences.

philabramoff 08-13-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 284320)
Books are fine but life experience is necessary.

Okay...like the requirement for President...you have to be
at least 35 to post here.

You have to be able to remember what life was like in
America under Carter.

catman 08-14-2008 12:25 AM

That would eliminate most of the posters, Phil.

philabramoff 08-15-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catman (Post 284344)
That would eliminate most of the posters, Phil.

Would leave you, me, and Anthony.

I actually think that would be a pretty good forum.

Montrovant 08-15-2008 07:08 PM

Pfft, keeping me out by a year and a couple of months....age discrimination! Age discrimination! :lol:

catman 08-16-2008 12:56 PM

We'll waive the age requirement in your case, Montro.

buckeyefan78 08-18-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellis (Post 284321)
I've come to disagree: I think that solitude-- with books, thoughts, and yourself-- is infinitely more valuable than 'life experience.'

Then again, I am young myself, but look at every great artist and every great thinker and you will find that their work was a product of their solitude, not life experiences.

Ya know Rob, you coulda just stomped on me for pissin' on your thread.

:P

CKFresh 08-19-2008 10:36 AM

Give me a well-read 20 year old any day over an illiterate 80 year old with "life experience."